Minuet 300

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

[F]bernZ

Minuet 300

Post by [F]bernZ » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:12 pm

I've done a search on the forums and haven't found much information regarding this little case.

--If I'm using a 2.5'' HDD and suspending everything, will it be pretty much quiet?

Proposed Build:

E2140
EVGA 7050/610i
2gb RAM
2.5'' WD Scorpio 120GB SATA HDD
SATA DVD Drive
Antec Minuet 300

What do you guys think? I'm trying to keep the cost as low as possible, but the noise factor comes first.

aaa

Post by aaa » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:11 pm

The loudest thing is its case fan, which you can unplug. But I would worry about how long the PSU would last if I did that, so I have it on the lowest setting (still pretty quiet). It's a cramped case, though. Make sure the DVD drive isn't so long that it occupies the same spot as the ram.

MarsLights

Post by MarsLights » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:54 am

I have recently set up a system with Minuet 300.
I'm disappointed with this case. If mounted as suggested by Antec, the HDD (3.5" 250GB WD) vibrations will be transmitted and hugely amplified by the case, resulting a terrible metallic sound. Also the optical drive vibrations will make the case rumble.
I had to suspend (not easy) the hard drive in the 5.25" bay to silence it and to move the optical drive outside the case in an external rack.
Also, the drive bay covers doesn't "blend" perfectly with the front case panel, between them remaining an irregular amount of space. If you have to keep the bay covers on, like I do, the general look of the case will not be perfect. Maybe my case got bumped, I don't know... :(
Before Minuet, both the HDD and optical drive (Samsung) were hosted inside the NSK6500 and there were no noise problems caused by them.
I'm already looking for another case.