Smallest mATX concept

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

CountTyro

Smallest mATX concept

Post by CountTyro » Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:13 am

I've been looking at my box and thinking that, since all I have in there is a motherboard, 2.5" HDD and a DVD, then maybe a smaller case would be nice.

So this morning a thought about it and this is my concept:

How do I justify that?

Well, it's using an ATX PSU, for maximum efficiency and cooling. The PSU fan is turned around, so that air is pulled in through the PSU. It blows directly over the low-height CPU cooler, and is then pushed/convected towards the front of the case.

On the shelf, there is room for one, maybe even 2 HDDs with padding underneath them. Soft double-sided tape could even be used.

The air from beneath rises up and exits through the back of the case, blowing over the HDDs.

DVD, regular or slim, may be attached to the case cover. The tray can either rise up, like the GMC R2-Toast, or come forward, like with a regular case.

Material is 1cm wood, heavy enough to provide some additional silencing.

I'm especially fond of the fact that the front panel may be designed in a number of different ways - like the nexus psile, different designs may be printed on pvc and then applied.

What do you think? eh? :D

AuraAllan
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by AuraAllan » Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:58 am

Seems to be a great idea.

Ive thought of builds like that a few times but havent started any yet :oops:

Get to work now :P

QuaiBoy

Post by QuaiBoy » Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:27 am

Those look really neat. Even though they are notebook drives, make sure to get sufficient airflow around them. Consider heatsinking them as well.

Have fun.

-Evan

MungeonDaster

Post by MungeonDaster » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:02 pm

Very nice, have you started construction?

CountTyro

Post by CountTyro » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:02 am

I did a cardboard model last week and it seems that with some motherboards it may even be possible to use an external graphics board. It's not really necessary, but might be useful for example with the upcoming AMD 780G which supports crossfire.. :)

Real construction is delayed a bit for monetary reasons.