Just bought an OrigenAE S14V case - question about quality.

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

tbessie

Just bought an OrigenAE S14V case - question about quality.

Post by tbessie » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:35 am

I just got my new OrigenAE S14V case in the mail, and noticed that the plastic display panel on the front is not completely flush with the case... the top of the panel is flush, but the bottom is 1 or 2mm (at most) out from the case body. When I open the bay door next to it, I see that the mounting area for the panel isn't completely flat, so the bottom of the panel has detached a bit from where it was glued at the bottom.

Not a big deal, nobody but an anal guy like me would notice, but when you pay $400 for a case, I would think it would be absolutely perfect... but then, what *is* perfect these days?

What I wonder is, would this kind of thing bother you? Would you send it back, not care, or rip of the panel and reglue it?

(I'm going to do nothing and use as is, but my perfectionist side is taking over as I write this. :-) ).

- Tim
Last edited by tbessie on Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Redzo

Post by Redzo » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:55 am

I don't like to be that "annoying customer" but if i paid 400$ for a case i would not accept that.

tbessie

Post by tbessie » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:01 am

Redzo wrote:I don't like to be that "annoying customer" but if i paid 400$ for a case i would not accept that.
Yeah, I'm kind of the same way; I don't want to bother them, they're lives are hard enough, and it's not a really big deal, since everything else is fine. But I had hoped all surfaces would be flush, all bolt holes aligned exactly, all those machining tolerances very exactl.

I'll write to Greg at PCAlchemy and see what he has to say.

- Tim

JimX
Friend of SPCR

Post by JimX » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:19 am

I hate the process of returning things, not the annoyance to them, so I would reglue. I could NEVER leave it like that, especially if new. :D

PS. And this is the reason why, if available, I buy locally, even though it's more expensive. If something is wrong, I just return it in my car. I hate losing a day waiting for couriers, waiting for a week or more through the post office, wondering whether the replacement will be the same, etc.

tbessie

Post by tbessie » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:16 am

JimX wrote:I hate the process of returning things, not the annoyance to them, so I would reglue. I could NEVER leave it like that, especially if new. :D

PS. And this is the reason why, if available, I buy locally, even though it's more expensive. If something is wrong, I just return it in my car. I hate losing a day waiting for couriers, waiting for a week or more through the post office, wondering whether the replacement will be the same, etc.
Yeah, I would prefer to buy locally, too - it appears there is only 1 or 2 distributors for their cases in the US, though, and none at retail outlets. Luckily PCAlchemy is in California, so it's not too far away. I emailed the guy and asked if he could check a few of the other units to see if they were like that.

I'd think of reglueing, too, rather than sending it back, but the flange its mounted on is slightly bowed out in the middle (or set back by about 1mm at the bottom), so it would eventually detach again anyway. :-(

- Tim

Shaman
Friend of SPCR

Post by Shaman » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:34 pm

I would demand perfection from such a case, if I was ever crazy enough to pay $400 for a case. :)

Do you think that is something that might have happened during shipping? Are you sure you can't just bend the panel mounting into place with some gentle persuasion?

Well if you can't fix it yourself and if you don't want to go through the exchange process, I'm sure when the case is in the cabinet under the tv far away from you, you'll forget about it.

tbessie

Yes, probably

Post by tbessie » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:42 am

Yes, I'll probably not care after a bit. I emailed the reseller, and he said that 3 or the 4 cases he had out for builds had this situation (tho' not detached, just sticking out a bit on the bottom and flush on top). Oh well. :-)

- Tim

deksawyer

Post by deksawyer » Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:04 pm

Tim

How noisy are the case fans?

thanks

D.

tbessie

Post by tbessie » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:26 am

deksawyer wrote:Tim

How noisy are the case fans?

thanks

D.
They seem pretty quiet so far - I have yet to have the top on the case and watching a movie on it (or just run it) for long enough to make a judgement yet. I'll write back here once everything's put together and working.

- Tim

aslg

Which PSU?

Post by aslg » Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:13 pm

I have the same case and I am looking for a quiet PSU that works well in the S14V case. Which PSU did you install in it?

Thanks!

Zygmunt

Post by Zygmunt » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:51 am

I Use Corsair VX450W, VX550W and TX850W. Very quiet

Regards

Aris

Re: Just bought an OrigenAE S14V case - question about quali

Post by Aris » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:33 am

tbessie wrote:but then, what *is* perfect these days?
Antec Solo is the closest thing to "perfect" that ive ever seen, and its only $100.
Zygmunt wrote:I Use Corsair VX450W, VX550W and TX850W. Very quiet

Regards
I've heard bad things about the TX series. The VX on the other hand is merely the non modular version of the HX series reviewed here.