Looking for good ATX Desktop case for Home Theater PC

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

thegoldenstrand

Looking for good ATX Desktop case for Home Theater PC

Post by thegoldenstrand » Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:50 pm

Hi,

Looking for a case that cools well and is reasonably quiet, but for an ATX motherboard to fit in and.. the Antec one that was to look like the Fusion.. has yet come out so I can't wait much longer, need to build the PC by next weekend.

I have looked at the Silverstone and Lian Li offerings... but have not found my case yet.. so any ideas? Has to be ATX and no pre installed stand offs.

Also.. I have a Lian Li PC-C301 that has standoffs pre installed including one for micro atx, not atx right along side that faces back of case, i/o bracket between the normal 2nd and 3rd down from top left for normal atx case, short of cutting it out, is there anything I can do like putting some kind of silicon pad on it to protect the bottom of motherboard?

Also.. on this case the standoffs don't line up exactly with motherboard mounting holes.. are there good work arounds for this?

Mike

derekva

Post by derekva » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:01 pm

Two to shortlist:

- OrigenAE x11
- Omaura TF11

I have the x11 and I like it a lot (although airflow isn't as good as the Fusion), and the Omaura seems to be the new hotness in HTPC chassis (OLED display and all). The 80mm fans are a bit of a bummer, silence-wise (although you could replace the stock fans with Nexus or Scythe or GlobalWin ceramic-bearing fans), but there is plenty of room and a lot of soft-mounting present. Also, since both cases are aluminum, a little sound dampening material can go a long way.

-D

thegoldenstrand

My biggest problem is can't go over 400 mm or so deep..

Post by thegoldenstrand » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:13 pm

Looks like the TF would just barely fit, see it is $220 at Dell.

Please keep suggestions going.. my budget is about $150 tops, but if I can't find something else.. I will keep the TF in mind.

Mike