Fanless Power Supply in an Antec NSK3480 ?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

victorhortalives
*Lifetime Patron*

Fanless Power Supply in an Antec NSK3480 ?

Post by victorhortalives » Thu May 01, 2008 2:40 am

I'm trying to remedy my disappointment with this case.

It's noisy with the stock power supply, which I replaced with a Corsair 520. The Corsair is much better, but as it now exhausts upwards, the quieter fan is now easily audible. Yes I could replace the Antec PS fan instead.

On my 2x P182's (also with Corsair), they work very well - bottom of the case and out to the back.

SO, I'm thinking of replacing the Corsair (keep for a spare) with a Silverstone ST30NF. As there is a vent grill just above the p/s location the heat should exit OK.

Only other problem I can see is that there is no active cooling now for the DVD drive (but there wasn't any before as the Corsair is sealed from the chamber.)
I worry though about the Silverstone heat dissipated by the cooling vents on the DVD side of the chamber.

Am I wasting my time and should I junk this and spend the money on another P182 ? (They are so damn heavy ! - even with some of the cages taken out.)

I only have modest spec for this as it is a Linux test PC. Maybe the Antec PS fan replacement is better ?

EDIT : Just thought of an update - stick a slow 80mm fan between the DVD and the front of the Silverstone. Although I now think I am pushing s*** uphill a bit with all these mods to mods to mods !

honeymonster

Post by honeymonster » Thu May 01, 2008 4:45 am

I agree with everything you're saying here. I have 2 x NSK3480

I run one with the bundled power supply and one with the Silverstone ST30NF. The fanned power supply makes this case unnecessarily loud!

The ST30NF is absolutely perfect. It never gets more than warm (Im running a ninja'ed athlon x2 3800+ with onboard gfx and a slow 120m nexus exhaust fan 24x7)

To be honest I run this particular machine without an optical drive but unless I was ripping discs continuously I personally wouldn't worry about it.

Go for it I say :-)

victorhortalives
*Lifetime Patron*

Silverstone Here I Come

Post by victorhortalives » Thu May 01, 2008 5:03 am

Thanks - you're just the person I wanted to comment on this !

My specs are even more modest :

Occasional use in a side-by-side mode with my "real" Linux PC
Athlon BE-2300 with Minja (No Fan)
1x Scythe S-FLEX SFF21D120 mm (800rpm) - rubber Nexus mounts
Passive Cooled NVIDIA GEFORCE 7200 GS
1x HD - WDGL Caviar SE 80gb - (I may replace this with a 2.5in in a ScytheBox)
CD/DVD Drive : TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S202N

Silverstone here I come !

Regards

Modo

Post by Modo » Thu May 01, 2008 5:34 am

Well, since you now have a spare power supply, wouldn't it be cheaper to do the fanswap? Having the ability to pick a fan you are certain of...

victorhortalives
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by victorhortalives » Thu May 01, 2008 6:18 am

Modo wrote:Well, since you now have a spare power supply, wouldn't it be cheaper to do the fanswap? Having the ability to pick a fan you are certain of...
Funny you just mentioned that. I have just found the 80mm fan that came with my latest Minja purchase (from ebay). It's not the stock 80mm Scythe fan (too noisy as I already tested it in the spare PS), but is a Noiseblocker fan (X2 Rev2.0) with a full size rubber fan gasket. The previous owner must have swapped. This fan isn't in the 80mm list but the 92mm version is.

So I think I will try using this fan in the original Antec PSU just to hear the difference. I may well go for a Silverstone anyway, but after I have done this mod and also putting extra Acoustipak between the doorpanel and the case.

Regards

PS I've just tried this fan in one of the case fan mobo connections - quiet ! That was running in free air at 1757 rpm. I'll do a fan swap with it when I've figured out the connector mods.

PPS This fan didn't work in the Antec PSU. BUT I have isolated most of the noise as being caused by the HardDrive (supposed to be a damn good one).

Next step is to buy a Scythe Quiet Drive and an 80GB 2.5in Seagate 7200 rpm and replace it. I have this in my P182 - inaudible.

Then I'll have another go at the PSU.

victorhortalives
*Lifetime Patron*

Final Doings

Post by victorhortalives » Sat May 17, 2008 6:54 am

I got the Silverstone PSU (half price on ebay). Works like a charm. Although has more cables to manage than the Corsair OR the stock Antec , they are easier to stuff in the case Floppy Caddy.

I've strung a 2.5in Seagate 80gb drive vertically against the front inside surface. It's supported on 4x 3mm diameter 30mm long bolts with nylon washers in and out. The knicker elastic is connected to the drive through 4x electrical contact stubs, drilled out to fit the drive screws. Works fine.

Now of course, I can hear the 800rpm Scythe fan ! Must get a fan controller to run it down to 700rpm - very quiet at 700rpm they are.

Damn - will this never end !!!

PS. I ordered an Antec Solo to possibly replace this case. Couldn't get one. Not able to be delivered I was told. So expect a replacement from Antec. Good job I managed to make the NSK3480 work.

Aris

Post by Aris » Sat May 17, 2008 8:06 am

ive got the original 3400. Best case ive ever owned to be honest. I never hear the PSU ramp up ever, and the system overall is completely inaudible from about 1 meter away.

Though my power requirements are a little low. Total load power draw is around 150w. I dont think ive ever heard the psu fan ramp up, ever. I have to put my ear right up next to the case to hear it at all.

Mobile Pentium M 2ghz w/ thermalright ultra 90
8800gt w/ accellero S1
Samsung 2.5" single platter 40gb HD inside a SQD.

Only have 2 fans in the system other than the PSU fan, a 92mm nexus that is positioned between the CPU and VGA heatsink blowing up at around 6 volts, and a 120mm scythe s-flex 1200 for exhaust running at 6v also.

I have wondered though if i upgrade my mobile pentium M cpu to a C2D, if the increased power would make the PSU loud. Though there are numerous quiet PSU's on the market i could plop down in there. I'd probably go with the corsair 520 80+.

As for the exhaust blowing up. It doesnt actually blow up, it still blows out the back, the fan just faces up. Just put a piece of sound obsorption mat on the inside of the top panel, will block all wind noise comming from the top vent and force air through the front of the case.

PS: if you decide to junk the case, PM me. I'll gladly pay for shipping to take it off your hands. I was about to buy a second one of these anyhow.

victorhortalives
*Lifetime Patron*

NSK3480

Post by victorhortalives » Sat May 17, 2008 8:47 pm

Hi there.

I'm going to keep this as I seem to have made it work OK. I like the size and weight of this case even though it is limited in what it can accommodate.

I must have a quieter environment than yours as I can definitely hear the stock Antec PSU fan, even though I have a low load system.

Re your idea for a Corsair 520 - I had one of these in the case before I replaced it with the Silverstone.
With this PSU the fan will have to point upwards, but you are right - the the fan is an intake fan, not an exhaust fan.
Your idea to block the top to force air IN from the front might well work, but with a DVD drive in the top there would be little room.
Be warned - the Corsair is longer than normal and the space left for the wires is really limited.

Now I only have one fan that I will undervolt to get it to run at 700rpm, I might put another inside also undervolted. I have just bought another Zalman controller for this case.

I have this case next to a P182 and I can hear the difference in the fan speeds - same fan in both. In the P182 it's running at 700 (quiet) in the 3480 it's still at 800 (noisy).

Of course, when I deal with the fan, then it'll be the drive I can hear next !

alphabetbackward

Post by alphabetbackward » Sat May 17, 2008 11:56 pm

If I recall correctly, the Corsair HX520 doesn't have any vents except the fan grill and the exhaust, so you can't block the top vent.

victorhortalives
*Lifetime Patron*

Top Vent

Post by victorhortalives » Sun May 18, 2008 1:55 am

alphabetbackward wrote:If I recall correctly, the Corsair HX520 doesn't have any vents except the fan grill and the exhaust, so you can't block the top vent.
It's the top vent of the Antec case we are talking about.

See : http://www.antec.com/ec/productDetails.php?ProdID=00390

Perfect for a Silverstone Fanless PSU (lets the hot air out).
Not so good for Corsair HX520 (lets the fan noise out)

victorhortalives
*Lifetime Patron*

CODA

Post by victorhortalives » Wed May 21, 2008 10:41 am

Well it's all done now - time for a cigarette.

The Zalman fan controller works fine - fan at 688rpm - very quiet.
BUT the Silverstone PSU must have an abnormal 12v rail (or I have a duff one) as it blew out all the Zalman LEDs - they glowed bright blue for 2 secs and then vanished.

I swapped controllers from my p182 and the same thing happened. But both Zalmans still work OK. Odd eh ?

All that might now be done is to swap the 2.5in Seagate for an SSD. But as this was supposed to be an inexpensive Linux test PC it is hardly appropriate.
As it is I've spent twice as much as I intended. But, hey I have another very very quiet PC so it can't be all bad.

Till the next time.

alphabetbackward

Post by alphabetbackward » Wed May 21, 2008 11:31 am

Keep us posted.

After swapping my old Seagate for a notebook hard drive, the power supply has become the main source of noise. I also have the Corsair that I got on sale and it also makes a lot of fan noise; that and it's bigger than I'd like.

victorhortalives
*Lifetime Patron*

Fan Change

Post by victorhortalives » Wed May 21, 2008 11:59 pm

alphabetbackward wrote:Keep us posted.

After swapping my old Seagate for a notebook hard drive, the power supply has become the main source of noise. I also have the Corsair that I got on sale and it also makes a lot of fan noise; that and it's bigger than I'd like.
Why don't you swap the fan ? Someone in these Forums must have done that. Look in the PSU forum.

Luck

alphabetbackward

Post by alphabetbackward » Fri May 23, 2008 10:50 am

I decided to do a fan swap despite my fears. I used the fan from the Ninja Mini that someone else suggested. It is much quieter now.

Sadly, when trying to remove the white plastic holder-thingie, it launched into the air and is now lost; not a big deal but I hate loose ends like that...

Aris

Re: NSK3480

Post by Aris » Fri May 23, 2008 11:17 am

victorhortalives wrote: I must have a quieter environment than yours as I can definitely hear the stock Antec PSU fan, even though I have a low load system.
One thing i failed to mention. I took the stock fan grille off the PSU. Its like a seperate metal piece, you can just unscrew the fan from the chassis and it comes right off, and theres still little flanges from the PSU enclosure to rescrew the fan back on to.

Its about a 5min mod that requires no cutting and only a screw driver, and reduces the noise by A LOT.

Note this only works on the original NSK3400, the newer 3480 has a different PSU with a rear mounted fan.

alphabetbackward

Post by alphabetbackward » Fri May 23, 2008 11:22 am

I took it off as well but it was still somewhat audible. I placed a book on top of the top vent and that helped as well.

victorhortalives
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by victorhortalives » Sat May 24, 2008 3:17 am

alphabetbackward wrote:I took it off as well but it was still somewhat audible. I placed a book on top of the top vent and that helped as well.
You're now where I was three weeks ago. Think about a Passive PSU instead !!!!

Covering the top is not a good long term idea.

alphabetbackward

Post by alphabetbackward » Sat May 24, 2008 8:07 am

Why is that? I assume the air coming from the front bezel would be enough. I don't have an optical drive but I do have a suspended hard drive so I want as much air coming from the front and not the top.

victorhortalives
*Lifetime Patron*

Top Vent

Post by victorhortalives » Sun May 25, 2008 7:07 am

Are you using the Corsair ? If so, then the top vent is for the air to come IN to feed the Corsair.

Are you using the Antec PSU that came with the case ? If so, then Antec must have had a reason to put the vents there - let the hot air out of the top maybe.

See the review by SPCR - http://www.silentpcreview.com/article763-page1.html
Quote " ...An expanded top vent that allows the power supply to breath more easily ... " Unquote

Maybe an Antec forum lurker would like to comment ?
Come on we know you are out there !
Task as usually assigned to Junior Market Researcher/Product Manager.

alphabetbackward

Post by alphabetbackward » Sun May 25, 2008 8:28 am

Oh, I'm using the Earthwatts with the Mini Ninja fan swapped in.

I think the power supply gets enough air since I don't have an optical drive at the moment.
Last edited by alphabetbackward on Sun May 25, 2008 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aris

Post by Aris » Sun May 25, 2008 12:50 pm

The top vent is worthless. Best to just cover it up and force air to come in through the front bezel so your drives get better cooling. All the top vent does is let noise out.

victorhortalives
*Lifetime Patron*

Top Vent

Post by victorhortalives » Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:38 am

At last a useful reason for the top vent. Put a passive Silverstone PSU in this case and let the top vent exhaust the hot air. A perfect but serendipitous application.