Silence yet performance, is it possible?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

West

Silence yet performance, is it possible?

Post by West » Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:57 pm

Hi All,

I have looked around the site and a few things seem to be a little out of date, yet still helpful on giving an impression, but I am about to start a conversion from a regular PC to as quiet a one as possible.

I am moving into a relatively small flat and I need my PC on all the time so I need something pretty quiet so I can think. Despite this it is going to be on show all the time, and something smart (not brash with flashing lights all over the place) would be a bonus.

I am currently running a setup from my house without a right panel, so of course it's noisy, and to be honest falling to bits.

Just that the case is falling to bits doesn't mean the computer is though and I'm happy with the majority of the parts, motherboard aside, so I'm not really looking to replace anything just yet.

At the minute I have a basic 550W non modular power supply and a stock intel cooler running an overclocked E4300 (1.8Ghz running at 2.6Ghz) I have looked at a few cases, namely the Sonata III and saw it only comes with one case fan, and was wondering if cooling would be a problem, also the Nexus Caterpillar, yet that doesn't seem to get rave reviews. I was possibly thinking NZXT Hush? Anyone know anything about Xilence Cases?

I admittedly don't want to spend more than £100 on a case, but i'm not too bothered whether it comes with a PSU or not as I can buy a modular one at a later date

Does anyone have any ideas on a decent case that fits my requirements or any experience running a similar setup to mine in a quiet case.

Thanks Guys,

West

Edit: What with it being a small flat, I'd rather have something pretty small and unobtrusive.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:44 pm

Hello & welcome to SPCR,

I don't think that you need to look any farther than the Antec Solo. It is one of the best cases around, and it is relatively compact. Put a good HSF on the CPU (and what about your GPU?), suspend the HD, and you be right where you need to be, I think.

yukon

Post by yukon » Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:49 pm

There can be performance without noise. As electronics are improved, they produce less heat for more performance. You may be expecting more performance than is possible from a quiet computer than is currently possible.

Anyway, practical advice. Your setup isn't built for silence. A case generates no noise, and can only help block it.
If you just want quick case recommendations, Coolermaster CM 580 (competing with Antec 300), Antec P182. The P182's free fans and door will help quiet your machine, but only indirectly. Likely you can mod your current case to be equal to any other, as long as it can mount modern fans and hardware.

Replace your stock intel cooler with something quiet, like a Thermalright 120 Ultra, a Scythe Orochi, or something else good enough to run passively (or with a fan). You have a good overclock there, but that CPU will run hot and doesn't have features found in other C2D processors; upgrade it if you need that extra bit of performance. E8400's are cheap, and will run cooler than a slower overclocked processor.

Likely your videocard is the noisiest part. There are heatsinks for videocards by Thermalright that I'd reccomend (HR something ultra), as well as the Arctic Cooling Accellero, which is intended to run without a fan. There's also Zalman, but they integrate fans, which can fail or get noisier over time and are difficult to replace. Currently their passive VGA coolers are outmatched by AC's (passive) and Thermalright's (more for overclocking, but can also be passive).

You may want to upgrade your PSU if it is a generic unit, for reliability, features, and silence. Wattage doesn't matter much anymore, as long as it's above 300w (more than enough usually). Get a 120mm or 140mm fan PSU from a reputable company. SCPR's recommended list is a great starting point. Quick recommendations are Enermax, Seasonic, Gigabyte, Zalman, etc.

The case fans may be an issue. Reduce their number, and replace when possible with quiet fans. If you case uses 80mm fans instead of 120mm, I would actually suggest upgrading the case. Otherwise, check out SCPR's recommended fan list. Quick recommendations are Nexus, some yate loon, panaflo in 80mm, etc.

Sorry, much of this is just off the top of my head; it's incomplete and not well explained, but it's a starting point. SCPR's recommended lists are sometimes unupdated, especially cases, but it's about the philosophy of approaching silent components. By reading up here, you can find what features are ideal and which aren't. It's more about building for silence than adding it.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:13 am

E8400's are cheap
currently retailing at £120 ($240) here in the UK, cheap? are you Bill Gates? :wink:

West

Post by West » Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:29 am

Thank you for the advice gentlemen.

Haha, I am not modifying my current case, trust me, my old one broke, so I got this one off a friend, it's Jeantech, got silly flashing lights all over it, no front fascia and makes enough noise to humble a jet engine.

It's not plain old beige or anything like that (If it was, i'd seriously consider modding it. Retro value would be awesome)

Funnily enough I was actually considering an E8300 actually as an upgrade, good to see that gets the heads up. A little about my curent processor though, whilst I'm aware that a stock intel cooler is not fantastic, it is doing the job at the moment. I plan on upgrading it eventually, I just don't know if there is a quiet cooler that is up to the task. I was looking at a scythe model a while back. I forget the name, it wasn't the Orochi though. Ninja Possibly.

My Video card confuses the hell out of me. It's an X1950PRO and it has the stock cooler on it, however on the back of the cooler an 'Arctic Cooling' logo is clearly visible. Maybe someone knows something I dont.

I am also running two - three (One's got a very tempremental power connector) harddrives at the moment, I take it this might be a problem?

yukon

Post by yukon » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:26 pm

Bill Gates, a bit. Current price points put the e8400 at or near the best performance for price ratio. I'd actually recommend the Q9450, but that can depend on what the computer is doing. The e8400 is cheaper in USA by at least 40$.

I still recommend the Accelero S1 Rev2 or S2. It will silently cool a loud videocard. It works with yours, and here's their graph- Image

I don't like the Ninja. I had one. It uses the stock pushpin mounting method, and it fell off while the computer was in use. Thermalright will be up to the task of an overclocked C2D, and you can always add a fan. The Orochi has wider spaced fins for passive or low-airflow cooling, and I recommend that. The E8300 isn't necessary, especially since you're already on a C2D, but it's better to use a faster CPU than an extreme overclock that creates a room heater.

I've never heard of Jeantech. Most of their cases look like other generic cases, or gimmicky. Lots of lights, ugly. Just sampling a few of them, and they have windows, and many tiny fan mounts. Since you need a new case, get a good one. You could get a Case/PSU combo if you don't want to learn about PSUs and save a bit of money, but I wouldn't recommend that.

I'll list the changes I'd suggest, in order of the most difference you'll notice:
-Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 Rev 2 (~10 to 30$) (silent, cooler videocard)
-Thermalright 120 Ultra 120 or Orochi (silent, better overclocks, ~50$)
-CM 580 case or more expensive P182 (quieter, but a more aesthetic choice, 50 to 130$), or replace fans in current case (~15$)
-Enermax Modu82+ 425w or similar (quieter, reliable)

The HDs aren't a problem if they're modern enough to be quiet (old HDs didn't have fluid dynamic bearings, and were extremely loud), but I wouldn't trust the flaky one. Replacing them all with a larger, faster HD will save a bit of heat, a bit of energy, and a bit of noise.

West

Post by West » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:50 am

I think I will end up with the E8300, It will be a little time before I can upgrade to it though, so the e4300 will have to do for now, and it isn't slow at the moment anyway, so I can deal with it.

Ok, I'll look at getting the Accelero S1 Rev2 then as it seems to be more available over here at the moment. I'll probably take a look at the Orochi if that's what you recommend, I'm sure somewhere over here sells it.

Yeah, Jeantech cases are a pile of crap. This one looks pretty bad to be honest, very gimmicky.

I was thinking a hiper 580 Modular for a PSU, I've heard they are pretty quiet, either that or a seasonic one of similar wattage.

I cant see anything on this CM580 though, any chance of a link? Either that or an Antec Solo, they look quite nice, and are nothing fancy. P182's are delicious, but a little more than I would want to spend on a case.

Thanks

Luminair

Post by Luminair » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:07 am

> Silence yet performance, is it possible?

if you consider silence to be a couple 500rpm 120mm fans, then yes, it is easy with stock parts :) search the forum.

the only challenge is building a silent yet performance mini-atx or mini-itx case.

yukon

Post by yukon » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:00 pm

Orochi for passive or low airflow cooling, Thermalright 120 Ultra for low to high airflow cooling. That's just a general guide to the two. Both extremely excellent, and the Thermalright 120's work great passively here.

580W is high, and they sell a 480W Type-R, so you could save some money there. I recommend against this powersupply, however. It uses two fans in series, increasing noise without increasing airflow. I strongly suggest a single 120mm or even 140mm fan PSU. Otherwise it looks ok, but louder than necessary.

Sorry, typo on the case. Coolermaster Centurion 590. It impresses me since you can have a single 140mm fan, or 120mm fans. Here's the 690, a bit more expensive, but not by much-
http://www.xcase.co.uk/p/386568/cm690-d ... psu--.html

Antec P182- 85 including VAT-
http://www.lambda-tek.com/componentshop ... dID=B74611

Antec 300 - 36 including VAT-
http://www.lambda-tek.com/componentshop ... ID=1535609

Cases are the starting point for silence I guess, but as long as a case has a single 120mm fan mount, it can probably be made quiet.

West

Post by West » Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:50 am

My my, you are a useful old chap. I'll probably get a hold of the P182 for that price, It does look quite tasty.

You recommend that enermax PSU then in your previous post?

yukon

Post by yukon » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:54 am

I like my P180. The P182 is the improved version.

According to SCPR's new review, the Thermalright 120 Extreme seems to be outdated to the HR-01 Plus for low-airflow setups. The TR 120 E did best in medium to high airflow, while the Orochi hasn't been tested by SCPR yet, so I think the earlier advice still stands. Essentially, all three are excellent, so buy based on price.

SCPR loves the Enermax Modu-82 powersupplies. There was a great review a while back. I've seen some complaints about noisier units. I instead bought the lowest-available Gigabyte Odin for the 140mm fan, which uses the louder Yate Loon 140mm (I have the quieter YL 140m fan version on my desk now to swap in eventually). I strongly suggest larger fans, as moving from 80->120 or 120->140 tend to have twice the airflow for the same amount of noise (or half the noise for the same airflow). That's a generalization and real world tests are of course fuzzier (fan differences, designs flaws, etc), but it's a good place to start. I'd recommend a PSU that has efficiency >80%, a single large fan, >300w, modular, and with active power factor correction (active PF). There aren't that many features to look for in a PSU otherwise (non-restrictive fan grill? what cables are included?).

I am useful, thanks ;-). I tend to be around only when working on hardware myself though.

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:19 pm

The Thermalright bolt-thru kit can be used to mount a Ninja+ Rev B

Plekto

Post by Plekto » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:31 pm

JVM wrote:The Thermalright bolt-thru kit SHOULD be used to mount a Ninja+ Rev B
Fixed it :)

Though, that new Thermalright cooler seems to be much better than the Ninja, AND it comes with a decent mounting kit.

Of course, I don't expect Scythe to sit on their butts, either :) Should be interesting to see that they come up with next.[/b]

breunor

Post by breunor » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:09 pm

I'm looking at getting the e4300 to overclock at the stock voltage, and get higher performance without the higher price, and building a "budget gaming PC":

1. Get a second Solo case, as my first has been very nice.

2. Toss a big cooler on cpu and a large fan running at SPCR speeds blowing through it, and duct the cooler directly to the back vent to get the hot air out.

3. Getting a Radeon 3870 with a passive Accelero HS on it, and duct air over it and out the spare pci slot openings, using another large, slow spinning fan, which would also draw air over the hard drive suspended in front of it.

4. Isolating one of the PSUs recommended here so its air supply is cooler.

And the 'Tricky Part'...

5. Design a 'Bluefront Approved' :D air filter that feeds the internal fans. This is always the interesting part. I really dislike having to pop open a case to blow out all the filters and fins, and was very impressed with BF's filtered designs. A removable air filter that can be cleaned with some water and put back in once dry; positive case pressure to ensure all the intake air goes through that filter; using a normal case rather than trying to build one by hand; and getting sufficient airflow to play "easy going" 3D games like World of Warcraft, is my holy grail.

If the air filtering isn't a big deal, I'm quite sure you can build a quiet, affordable PC without getting fancy.

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:19 am

Plekto wrote:
JVM wrote:The Thermalright bolt-thru kit SHOULD be used to mount a Ninja+ Rev B
Fixed it :)
Thanks! :wink: