Looking for matx case with good cooling for a gaming rig.

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

KyonCoraeL

Looking for matx case with good cooling for a gaming rig.

Post by KyonCoraeL » Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:07 pm

Hi, I am new here.

Right now, I am in the process of shopping around for the parts for a gaming rig. Considering I will most likely never use SLI, I've decided on getting an matx board.

I've decided on getting a fan controller so it could be quiet while I am not playing games.

The silverstone SGH-03 from edh's post seems like a great case similar to a small coolermaster stacker.

Does anyone have any suggestions for cases?

The silverstone SGH-03 from edh's post seems like a great case similar to a small coolermaster stacker.

The antec m182 is exactly the same size as my current rig so it isn't advantageous.

I've read the recommendations but it hasn't covered many of the SFF cases.

Namheul

Post by Namheul » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:34 pm

I have a TJ08 and its pretty nice.

Only problem is lack of harddrive room if you have a big heatsink.

It has 120mm fans front and back.

LongJan

Post by LongJan » Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:10 pm

Me too, have a Silverstone TJ08.
It's not a perfect case, but excellent airflow, rather roomy and can be made pretty silent.
I don't have to turn fans up while playing Crysis (8800GT).

My Silverstone TJ08 -->>

Modo

Post by Modo » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:53 pm

Have you considered a HTPC-style case? An Antec Fusion/NSK 2400 would be the perfect option for you. Great cooling with low noise.

KyonCoraeL

Post by KyonCoraeL » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:05 pm

Thanx, I like the looks of the TJ08, I think inwin has a cheap version.

SebRad
Patron of SPCR

Post by SebRad » Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:50 am

How about Antec 3840? It's not very expensive and comes with a reasonably good PSU. (there maybe no-PSU version) It will take almost any full size CPU heatsink, has 120mm rear fan and provision for 2x 92mm front intakes so it breaths about as well as a full size case. The biggest compromises is the single HDD mount, but could use the FDD bay for a 2nd though or rig your own somehow.
Regards, Seb

honeymonster

Post by honeymonster » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:36 am

I have both cases ;-)
I use the TJ08 for my gaming rig as it a tiny bit larger. It has a more substantial 'metal' finish too.
I have my HD up the top and only have 1 optical drive... Otherwise, if mounting a harddrive in the cages it's a close fit with a ninja. Do SPCR people screw their harddrives directly into these types of harddrive cages though?

There are 2 problems with gaming and the Antec NSK-3480.
1) You have to 'invert' your PSU as the top chamber is seperate. This will usually place a large fan upwards and you can hear it clearly through the grill. Therefore I recomend using the 300w silverstone passive PSU, my absolute favourite PSU but not ideal for top end gaming...
2) The short depth of this case makes fitting the DVD and PSU very tight - See here http://www.silentpcreview.com/article763-page4.html
A lot of more powerful PSUs these days are longer than standard.

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:07 am

Mini p180 has probably one of the best cooling for mAtx system but its costly and not much smaller than P18x...

Aris

Post by Aris » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:30 am

I really like the 3480. Fan noise isnt too bad from PSU if you seal the top vent, or use a psu with an 80mm fan. Its about the smallest non-cube mATX case your gunna find anywhere. Craftmenship is top notch, and its cheep too, especially considering it comes with an 80+ certified PSU.

KyonCoraeL

Post by KyonCoraeL » Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:29 pm

the 3480 does seem really practical, my friend has one but I don't like the 92mm fan spots in the front... couldn't they have made it to fit 80mm or 120mm

ST

Re: Looking for matx case with good cooling for a gaming rig

Post by ST » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:15 pm

KyonCoraeL wrote:Hi, I am new here.

Right now, I am in the process of shopping around for the parts for a gaming rig. Considering I will most likely never use SLI, I've decided on getting an matx board.

I've decided on getting a fan controller so it could be quiet while I am not playing games.

Does anyone have any suggestions for cases?

The antec m182 is exactly the same size as my current rig so it isn't advantageous.

I've read the recommendations but it hasn't covered many of the SFF cases.
Take a look at my case: viewtopic.php?t=47620

small uATX form factor with plenty of cooling (front and rear 120mm fans) as well as plenty of storage space, and is pretty cheap to boot: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... max%2bcase

bexx

Post by bexx » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:40 pm

I like my SG03... its smaller than TJ08.

http://www.hardwarezone.com/img/data/ar ... sg03_5.jpg

pony-tail

Post by pony-tail » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:41 am

The SG03 is a nice looking case and very compact but the PSU sits directly on top of the CPU limiting the choice of CPU coolers and it is a positive pressure case wit the fan at the front with an open grill that lets the fan noise out and if it sits beside your monitor it can be a little bit "in your face" noise wise - Excellent for space but not for silence and less than ideal for hot CPUs . The other micro ATX cases mentioned , I have not had experience with but I have had some experience with InWin V5xx series cases and although not silent out of the box can be modded to be very quiet even with very hot components - if you can find anyone who sells them , they are well made but very small and a PITA to work in.