How to combine fan isolators with wire grill?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

jack_aubrey

How to combine fan isolators with wire grill?

Post by jack_aubrey » Wed May 21, 2003 2:45 pm

I'm considering cutting out the stamped grill underneath my 120mm rear case fan to improve airflow, and replacing it with a wire grill. However, it looks like it might be impossible to simultaneously mount the wire grill and the fan using the little blue isolators, because the groove at the bottom isn't wide enough to fit both the case and the grill wire (hopefully this makes sense without a diagram...). It was hard enough just getting the isolators through the case and fan screw holes - I tore the tip off one pulling it through with needlenose pliers :-(

How have other people dealt with this? I suppose I could drill 4 additional screw holes to mount the wire grill offset from the fan.

AndrewC

Post by AndrewC » Wed May 21, 2003 3:04 pm

I remember another thread suggested hotglueing them on.

Td_nw

Post by Td_nw » Wed May 21, 2003 3:35 pm

I also remember someone mentioning flattening the wire grill mounts with a hammer and then using brute force with the isolators.

Offsetting the grill would also be reasonably easy.

My 2 cents..

LushMD
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by LushMD » Wed May 21, 2003 5:38 pm

Alternatively, you might consider using the larger fan isolators (for 38mm fans) to mount 25mm fans witha fan isolator. This is how I mounted a Panaflo 80mm L1A with a wire grill on the rear of my case. Refer to item number 5801K8 on the McMaster-Carr website (scroll 3/4 or so down the page). Take care.

Will35

Post by Will35 » Wed May 21, 2003 6:15 pm

why not just rotate the wire grill 45deg and screw it to the case in it's own mounting holes?

jack_aubrey

Post by jack_aubrey » Wed May 21, 2003 6:55 pm

LushMD wrote:Alternatively, you might consider using the larger fan isolators (for 38mm fans) to mount 25mm fans witha fan isolator. This is how I mounted a Panaflo 80mm L1A with a wire grill on the rear of my case. Refer to item number 5801K8 on the McMaster-Carr website (scroll 3/4 or so down the page). Take care.
I'm not clear on why that would help? If you look at a cross section of either isolator, it looks something like this:

||
||==||===||-----
||

Where the red is where the case/grill fit, and the green where the fan fits. I'm looking at the K6 and K8 side by side, and the red region looks exactly the same size in both.

aphonos
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aphonos » Wed May 21, 2003 7:09 pm

LushMD
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by LushMD » Wed May 21, 2003 7:27 pm

Good call aphonos. I couldn't find the applicable thread when I posted previously. Many thanks. Take care.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Thu May 22, 2003 5:01 am

jack_aubrey wrote:
LushMD wrote:Alternatively, you might consider using the larger fan isolators (for 38mm fans) to mount 25mm fans witha fan isolator. This is how I mounted a Panaflo 80mm L1A with a wire grill on the rear of my case. Refer to item number 5801K8 on the McMaster-Carr website (scroll 3/4 or so down the page). Take care.
I'm not clear on why that would help? If you look at a cross section of either isolator, it looks something like this:

||
||==||===||-----
||

Where the red is where the case/grill fit, and the green where the fan fits. I'm looking at the K6 and K8 side by side, and the red region looks exactly the same size in both.
You're exactly correct. I bought these two different types hoping that the one would be sufficiently long enough that I could use them to mount my 120 x 38mm L1A but it doesn't look like it will work. I haven't actually tried it yet though.

mg1394

Post by mg1394 » Thu May 22, 2003 1:10 pm

I took a slightly different approach. I used the K6 isolators and mounted the fan as everyone knows will work. Before installing the isolators, however, I used a Dremel 1/32" grinder tool to start a small hole exactly in the center of the isolator (must be perfectly centered, and not too deep at all.) Then after installing the fan, I mounted the fan grill to the isolators with very small screws, very careful to not overtighten and to make sure everything stayed centered so the internal integrity of the isolators was intact. I used #4 x 1/2" wood screws (certainly don't use anything longer, and I'm pretty sure 3/8" would suffice.) This with a standard wire grill. With one of the laser-cut types, I know that 3/8" screws would be more than sufficient. It's important to have a small, sharp screw to work with the elastomer.

Now the isolators do their job as intended, all parts are in place, and there is no metal-metal contact anywhere.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Fri May 23, 2003 3:57 am

mg1394 wrote:I took a slightly different approach. I used the K6 isolators and mounted the fan as everyone knows will work. Before installing the isolators, however, I used a Dremel 1/32" grinder tool to start a small hole exactly in the center of the isolator (must be perfectly centered, and not too deep at all.) Then after installing the fan, I mounted the fan grill to the isolators with very small screws, very careful to not overtighten and to make sure everything stayed centered so the internal integrity of the isolators was intact. I used #4 x 1/2" wood screws (certainly don't use anything longer, and I'm pretty sure 3/8" would suffice.) This with a standard wire grill. With one of the laser-cut types, I know that 3/8" screws would be more than sufficient. It's important to have a small, sharp screw to work with the elastomer.

Now the isolators do their job as intended, all parts are in place, and there is no metal-metal contact anywhere.
Now here's a guy that's using his noodle. Very well done!

Wedge

Post by Wedge » Mon Jun 16, 2003 9:06 am

Yes that's a great idea mg1394.

When I cut my grills out I will try four square patches of velcro where the screws normally go, i.e, where the isolators are located. It's not as solid as screws, nor is it foolproof for toddlers, but it will be quick and painless and should do the job of both holding the grill in place and blocking the surface contact of the metal that would cause vibrations.

If I had any concern of children/adults putting their hands back there I would go with something a little more like mg1394's idea. But nobody comes into contact with that area execpt me. Also, it isn't seen by anybody unless I take my computer out of it's little cove, so I don't care that it's not pleasant to the eye.

Actually, I use velcro for a lot of computer hardware-related things. I think it's one of the best inventions since sliced bread.

marc999
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by marc999 » Mon Jun 16, 2003 10:23 am

At what temperature does Velco become a fire hazard ? I've been wondering what I could use to attach a fan to the back of my PSU and this may just fit the bill ...... if it doesn't catch fire !! :D

AndrewC

Post by AndrewC » Mon Jun 16, 2003 10:32 am

I think you'll be fine. This site says temp range is 0 to 150­°F and is recommend for use in computers. I think I've used this brand before to and that adhesive is very sticky.

http://www.velcro.com/industrial/index.html[/url]

Wedge

Post by Wedge » Mon Jun 16, 2003 10:55 am

marc999,

I have never checked those specs, but i have never had any problem when I use industrial strength velcro. Sticks very well. You would really have to heat it up for it to come off.

bondiablo

Post by bondiablo » Mon Jun 16, 2003 2:38 pm

I used them for my PSU fan with a wire grill and just yanked them through with a pair of needle nose pliers. Pulled all 4 through the grill first then the casing then set the fan in place and pushed it on while holding/pulling the isolators. Pulling them through the casing was the most difficult and left a noticeable depression in the bottom of the isolator where it's obviously streched more than it's meant to be but it worked and they're holding and I didn't even break any.

Oddly enough I did break a couple pulling them through when trying to attach my case fans without any grills because the holes in the case were too small to the let the bottom flange through. Ended up having to heat them up by dipping them in boiling water for a few seconds to make them softer.