Quiet case with a side window....

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

that Linux guy

Quiet case with a side window....

Post by that Linux guy » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:41 pm

Hey guys (and gals), I had a query. I've been looking at getting a new case and have it down to the Solo or Sonata 3. Well, either have solid side panels. Honestly, I'm still trying for a quiet computer, but I love the bling of a side window and some white LED lights on the inside illuminating my rig.... Sorry, but I like it :)

Will putting a window in my case trash all the work of using quiet hardware and techniques? Is it dependant on what material and thickness? Is there a specific way of mounting it for quiet rigs?

Thanks in advance....

-Andrew

Redzo

Post by Redzo » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:25 pm

Will putting a window in my case trash all the work of using quiet hardware and techniques? Is it dependant on what material and thickness? Is there a specific way of mounting it for quiet rigs?
Short answer, yes it will. ;-) Sorry but those materials are prone to resonanse and they also let more sound pass thru them so to speak.

Cistron

Post by Cistron » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:54 pm

Window + Foam = ? :wink:

If you cut your own window, you have to make sure that the seal with the case-wall is good. A small gap for noise to escape makes a big difference. I suspect that 1cm plexiglas won't be that bad after all, if your hardware is sufficiently quiet.

neumein

Post by neumein » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:39 am

I too, like a bit of bling, and most blingy cases are indeed, not very quiet to say the least. In my experiences though NZXT's Tempest seems to be the one exception to the rule (that I've come across so far). With some simple undervolting/replacement of fans, and soft mounting your HDD(s), the case becomes remarkably quiet (compared to stock). All subjectively speaking of course, but it's quiet enough for me.

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:20 am

Tempest's build quality has not been NZXT's regular level in first patch anyway. But there hasn't really been much market for quiet bling.

that Linux guy

Post by that Linux guy » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:41 am

Perhaps if I cut my window, cut my glass accordingly, and used some sort of small weather stripping, or at least rubber between the plexiglass and the case, would it be alright? I'm planning on using some Acousipak too, and soft mounting fans and harddrives, plus using quiet components. Would the Window if installed as described above ruin it all? I'm looking at an Antec Sonata III right now FYI.

walle

Post by walle » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:25 am

Hi

I’ve never installed a window so I cant give you any feedback in terms of how it would turn out, but, perhaps I could help you brainstorm a bit here? What about trying to get a Sonata side panel from the aftermarket? or contact Antecs support asking them if it would be possible for you to buy one? that way, if the mod didn’t turn out well, you would be able to turn the casing back into stock again not ending up sitting there with a new casing and a busted side panel, which wouldn’t be all that great having spent money on a premium casing.

Good luck and please keep us posted.

Sizzle
Patron of SPCR

Post by Sizzle » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:43 pm

It depends on what you put inside.

I have a Coolermaster 690 with the window and the side fan mesh hole.

Passive video card, Hitachi 7200 laptop drives, Corsair HX520, TRUE with a AC PWM fan, and a couple of Scythe case fans. I use mobo control to control them. Aside from optical drive spin up, I can't hear the box unless I'm right next to it, then its barely audible.

ronrem

Post by ronrem » Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:32 am

2 layers of acrylic or plexi with some spacing would transmit less sound

Having less noise inside will mean there's less to contain. If it's a heatmaker and you rely on several fans,are getting HDD noise,Vid card noise..etc...then the window ain't so good. If you have a passive Ninja,passive vid card,put your HDD in an eSATA external.....you have almost no noise in there to block.

porkchop

Post by porkchop » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:00 am

i put a window in my nks3400.
there is a very small difference between the windowed panel and a steel +2mm sheet of foam panel -it's noticeable if you're close enough, but negligible to me since my case sits under my desk.

it kinda depends on whats in your pc, my main source of noise is a suspended wd3200aaks.

i say go for it 8)