My new Antec P182 case hums. Is this normal?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

danielG

My new Antec P182 case hums. Is this normal?

Post by danielG » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:51 pm

Hi. Following advice on SPCR, I bought an Antec P182 case. I just finished building the PC and I am a bit disheartened.

The top fan vibrates the case and the case make a noticeble hum. Is this normal? Did I do something wrong?

I've disconnected the top fan molex and the case no longer hums, but I want my top fan working. Is there something I can do?

Saros

Post by Saros » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:17 pm

I'm no expert, but perhaps you can try using soft fan mounts, like the Acoustifan ones. Also one edge of the top fan is screwless so you can't do much about that.

Unless you go a bit mod happy and file the fan edge down, and use some kind of anti-vibration strips.

Or you can just not use the fan altogether, it really makes little difference if you cover it up.

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:26 pm

Look around your home for some small pieces of foam (relatively thin) and put them in between the fan and the case panel. That's a simple and cheap way of reducing vibration.

Luminair

Post by Luminair » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:07 am

Do you mean the top panel vibrates, or something else?

One disadvantage of the p180 is that the top panel is prone to noisy vibration if you attach something to it that vibrates a lot. Like a fast fan or some hard drives in the 5.25" bays.

I think this is partly because the top panel is made up of a plastic panel with adhesive, attached to a metal panel... and the panels warp and the adhesive doesn't hold them together, letting one or the other vibrate.

The solution is to either decouple the vibration source from the panel, or apply weight and/or compression to the panel so it stops vibrating.

One commonly suggested deadening method is cutting a vinyl floor tile with self adhesive to shape, and just stick it on the underside of the top panel.

danielG

Post by danielG » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:06 am

That's exactly it. The top panel vibrates. When I put my hand on it and apply some pressure, the hum goes away. Thank you for confirming it's that way by design. A least I don't have to waste time trying to swap my P182 for a good one, since they are all like that.

Would replacing the top fan with a very slow fan, such as the 500 rpm Scythe i've read about in these forums, still vibrate the top panel?

I don't know if removing the top fan is sensible. Where I live, it gets very hot in the Summer. About 37 ºC, sometimes 40 ºC.

ChronoReverse

Post by ChronoReverse » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:28 am

Did you set the top fan to the lowest speed? I find that the tricool fans are far too loud (relatively) when set to anything but low.

Luminair

Post by Luminair » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:09 am

If you are using the default tricools, sure I'd replace the top fan with a new slower one. I have a 1200rpm yate loon / nexus ball bearing fan in the top position running at something like 600-800rpm, and it doesn't cause vibration problems. The 4 hard drives in the 5.25" bays do, though!

timbalcombe

Post by timbalcombe » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:20 pm

My 182 vibrates in this way as well. However I have no top fan.
It is the Harddisk making it hum, it is my pesky 501LJ - god damn that bitch, I can't shut her up!
It only does it with the left sidepanel on, if it's off, no hum.

jmpsmash

Post by jmpsmash » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:10 am

i have a similar problem with my p182. the side panels are well damped but the rest of the case vibrates. i have tried turning off all the fans and the vibratin is still there.

the only sources i can think of are the HDDs (i have 6 of them) and the PSU.

this didn't happen in my Sonata 2 with the same component. the presence of the vibration causes a small hum which is rather annoying esp since this case is supposed to be quiet.