P182 PSU fan orientation

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

jimmyzaas

P182 PSU fan orientation

Post by jimmyzaas » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:25 am

Hi,

Which way is more optimal (temperature wise) for mounting a psu inside a P182? Fan facing upwards or downwards? Is there a dust filter for the psu intake if one decides to have it face downwards? Dust is a pretty big concern in my room.

Thanks,

James

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:35 am

put it face downwards wards and if you have removed the middle fan, remember to tape PSU backpanels vent off, so PSU cannot draw air thru them but forces airflow thru front filter.

nomoon

Post by nomoon » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:19 am

It doesn't really matter. Facing upwards may give a little extra cable length.

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:36 am

That is dependable on PSU really. granted. Best way probably is to put PSU facing so that cables start back side so you don't need stretch themover the middle fan. Just the bottom way PSU has more space to intake air.

jimmyzaas

Post by jimmyzaas » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:57 pm

I'm curious, is there a gigantic hole at the bottom of the case right below the psu?

Or is the psu just raised and the air drawn is still coming from the front?

I'm only worried about dust clogging up the psu if there is indeed a giant hole at the bottom of the case and the psu sucks the air from outside essentially.

Suosaaski

Post by Suosaaski » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:10 pm

jimmyzaas wrote:I'm curious, is there a gigantic hole at the bottom of the case right below the psu?

Or is the psu just raised and the air drawn is still coming from the front?

I'm only worried about dust clogging up the psu if there is indeed a giant hole at the bottom of the case and the psu sucks the air from outside essentially.
The PSU is raised.