For rear honeycomb pci holes, has anyone,...

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

ScruffyDogg

For rear honeycomb pci holes, has anyone,...

Post by ScruffyDogg » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:52 pm

I don't want to do the duct tape on this build,... mainly due to some new builds, I want to go a different route and maybe do some crazy case mods in conjunction down the road.

For rear honeycomb pci holes, has anyone created a plastic strip to slide on the metal punch outs that look like intentional clips,...

For instance I was thinking of cutting out a strip of plastic from mabe a DVD case, cutting four small slits to hook onto the metal punch outs, and having some silicon bead along the edges, so when I slide it on, there should be a nice airtight situation with no vibration due to silicon bead, yet this would be removable if I wanted to at some point,...

Anyone ever have experience or come across a review where they did something like this?

bonestonne

Post by bonestonne » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:26 pm

well, instead of a piece of plastic, i actually used clear packing tape. two stripes for the wider grills, one for the slimmer ones. one edge would be flat against the case, the other side would be folded over to create a pull tab. i can provide a picture if needed.

ScruffyDogg

Post by ScruffyDogg » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:38 pm

I have used tape,... duct tape many times. It works very well, but I am looking for something different and really want a plastic piece that can slide on and off type of setup. I just have an itch to do something along these lines,....

I have an itch to do some creative case modding,.... kind of like my long standing itch to overclock and get best bang for buck, my itch over the last year to silence my computers, now I have added an itch to expand on those and do some creative but more professional looking case modding,....

I have seen some very creative ideas here on SPCR forums,... so I thought maybe someone had tried this since it goes hand in hand with silence!

bonestonne

Post by bonestonne » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:39 pm

well, it would probably take too long for me to find the images, but you could always dremel out the grill, and then bond a new sheet of metal into the place of the rectangle. i'd probably mess around with the idea before really going anywhere with it, but beyond that, the only thing i could suggest is 1/16" plexiglass, slimmer if possible.

kittle
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by kittle » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:54 pm

no "clips" on the honeybomb on the back of my cases - I just cut a piece of cardboard to size and stuck it in place to help seal stuff up.

Although... clear packing tape or duct tape would probably make a better seal

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:43 pm

If you have any holes nearby you can get some cheap nuts and bolts and bolt in a piece of plastic/acrylic (all found at your local hardware store) using some type of gasket to seal around it (maybe weatherstripping or cured RTV sealant if you have some laying around).

Of course you'd have to cut it to size yourself...

ScruffyDogg

Post by ScruffyDogg » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:33 pm

I finally figured out why there were metal punch out clips on this case,... I figured there was a commercial covering of some kind and found out that is a left over from the Sonata II which had a duct system put there,... the case itself is basically the same in the Sonata III but there is no duct included. I will be trying my black plastic mod that I was thinking of here soon. I have 4 older cases that I want to try modding,... it goes hand in hand once you get a bug to silence a case, you get a bug to do something different (at least I have now)