Upgrade a p180 to a p182?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

walkman

Upgrade a p180 to a p182?

Post by walkman » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:55 am

Is there any real reason to upgrade for a new system build?

Also,

1) I notice that many people get rid of the bottom fan. I have 4 hard drives installed and found that the drives were getting too hot so I actually use the fan. Does this mean that my power supply might not be drawing air properly?

2) Any one have any tricks for getting the sata cables to the hard drives to stay in when inserting the tray? I tried taping them to the power connectors.

Ch0z3n

Post by Ch0z3n » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:08 am

The SATA cables that came with my Gigabyte motherboard are 'locking.' They snap into place and you have to push down a metal tab to pull them out.

blackworx
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: Upgrade a p180 to a p182?

Post by blackworx » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:39 am

walkman wrote:Is there any real reason to upgrade for a new system build?
If you can live without the P182's superior cable management, then no.
I notice that many people get rid of the bottom fan. I have 4 hard drives installed and found that the drives were getting too hot so I actually use the fan. Does this mean that my power supply might not be drawing air properly?
Probably not. Have you blocked off the intake holes around the PSU panel? If not, then the PSU will be taking air from outside the back of the case instead of across your hard drives. If you have, then it's probably just a case of too much heat from the 4 drives to cool realistically with airflow generated by your PSU.