Cut the horizontal bits between pci slots?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

SlaveToSilence

Cut the horizontal bits between pci slots?

Post by SlaveToSilence » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:30 pm

do we really NEED the little horizontal bits between the PCI cards? i know they use the end bit to screw to which i'd keep but surely the horizontal part inbetween does little more than fill the gap? i was thinking of cutting them out and installing an 80mm fan there to exhaust heat from my graphics card, what do you guys think? (cant really afford to go buy a new case if its a bad idea so trusting you guys :oops: )

KlaymenDK

Post by KlaymenDK » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:21 am

Well, those bits between the slots have two main functions: they add structural rigidity to the case, and they shield against EM static. Plus a little bit of effect in keeping the dust bunnies out.

If you are willing to downgrade these, go right ahead and cut up your case! :) In reality, most of us have so many other holes in the cases (unguarded fans and such) I wouldn't think a bit of additional snipping is going to cause your pc to bluescreen, though it may be more prone to denting if you move it about a lot (as in lan parties, not vacuuming).

Strid

Post by Strid » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:02 am

I doubt that the EMI shielding effect of the case will be compromized if you cut the 2 mm wide metal strip, since the PCI bracked itself is made of metal. :lol:

If you hate it, go ahead .. cut it!

SlaveToSilence

Post by SlaveToSilence » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:29 am

it doesnt get moved much, its not a lan machine, but wouldnt wanna make it too weak
will see how i get on ducting the hr03 and see if i still need something sucking the air out again as well as the 120mm intake on the hard drive cage (p180)

KlaymenDK

Post by KlaymenDK » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:06 pm

Well, you can also grab a pair of pliers and *twist* those bits 90 degrees. Then they will still provide *some* amount of structural strength, but will be better aligned for airflow. It won't be pretty, though.

SlaveToSilence

Post by SlaveToSilence » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:08 pm

KlaymenDK wrote:Well, you can also grab a pair of pliers and *twist* those bits 90 degrees. Then they will still provide *some* amount of structural strength, but will be better aligned for airflow. It won't be pretty, though.
brilliant idea! do you think it would work? and would they bend back ok? very tempting

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:07 pm

SlaveToSilence wrote:
KlaymenDK wrote:Well, you can also grab a pair of pliers and *twist* those bits 90 degrees. Then they will still provide *some* amount of structural strength, but will be better aligned for airflow. It won't be pretty, though.
brilliant idea! do you think it would work? and would they bend back ok? very tempting
mine never have...

SlaveToSilence

Post by SlaveToSilence » Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:10 pm

have never what, bent back?

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:16 pm

SlaveToSilence wrote:have never what, bent back?
depends...
on one case I removed all traces of pci brackets and on another I just bent them 90. The bent ones stayed bent just like the ones I did on an old gateway PSU. (as recommended here on SPCR)

The cut out ones didn't really effect case rigidity, but it was a very heavy duty case. (but very sharp til i ground them down)

Shaman
Friend of SPCR

Post by Shaman » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:45 am

Why not leave the little horizontal bits alone and mount the fan behind them? I mean, it's not like they're very restrictive.. and this way you can go back to having a normal peple's case if you want. :P

SlaveToSilence

Post by SlaveToSilence » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:47 am

Shaman wrote:Why not leave the little horizontal bits alone and mount the fan behind them? I mean, it's not like they're very restrictive.. and this way you can go back to having a normal peple's case if you want. :P
just need to get an L shaped audio wire for the sound card and it should work :)

frenchie
Friend of SPCR

Post by frenchie » Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:51 am

I cut those things on my solo to put a 92mm fan there.

I've since changed my GPU and I haven't tried to put this solution back together. I might try again to see what happens with the Accelero...

Also in my experience, you'd get better results with the fan blowing IN the case, rather than out if the case. Main problem is the heat inside the case though... Best way to know for sure is to give it a try ;)