Case Grounding...

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

CallmeRoth

Case Grounding...

Post by CallmeRoth » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:45 pm

I was just wondering what a list of things I should check would be if Iam feeling a small amount of electrical current when I touch my case.

Basically, anywhere within my case that is metal if I hold my finger on it I can feel a small amount of electrical current. It's small enough to almost be mistaken for vibration and there are no sparks or shocks, even If I touch the case with metal.

-Thanks in advance.

psiu

Post by psiu » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:27 am

Get one of those outlet testers first--check to make sure your outlet is wired properly. Maybe try a different PSU after that.

Use a voltmeter to confirm your suspicion.

tehcrazybob
Friend of SPCR

Post by tehcrazybob » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:04 am

Certainly try what Psiu suggested, but are you sure it's not just vibration? If you have even a single hard-mounted hard drive, there could be an incredible amount of vibration running through your case.

If you're confident it's not vibration, try running a voltmeter between the case and some grounded metal (a screw on the cover plate of a light switch works well) and see what kind of a reading you get. It should be zero.

CallmeRoth

Post by CallmeRoth » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:04 pm

Oddly enough a few hours later, I felt nothing. But I will check the outlet, as I live in a very old restored house.

psiu

Post by psiu » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:30 pm

That's one reason I suggested that.
First get the outlet tester, they are only a few bucks, have some lights which will light up to tell you if the outlet is wired correct or what is wrong if not.
Then put the negative of a voltmeter to the ground, and the positive to where you think a charge is, you shouldn't have anything.
Probably just vibration and paranoia. It's ooooooookay. :wink: