Running a P182 on it's side

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Warder45

Running a P182 on it's side

Post by Warder45 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:11 pm

I bought a P182 over black friday and finally got it out. Of course I found out it's too tall. However I can fit it on it's side.

I can't think of any reason why it hurt the PC to have it on it's side with the motherboard on the bottom. Other then the DVD drive opening sideways...

Is there any airflow / noise issues I should be concerned with?

Thanks

relitz

Post by relitz » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:36 pm

Well most cases are designed with the exhausts at the back top becasue hot air rises, however, I don't really think there will be any issue.

spookmineer
Patron of SPCR

Post by spookmineer » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:35 pm

Even with a slow moving rear case fan, the effect of natural convection (hot air) will be neglectible.
It will be like a huge HTPC case, no problem.

maf718

Post by maf718 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:50 pm

It would be a good idea to rest it on some type of soft feet, this would isolate any vibrations being transferred to the desk or shelf or whatever, and give the side vents around the front bezel room to breathe. Maybe you can remove and re-use the feet it comes with?

Also will the door stay open in this configuration? It would be a bit of a pain if you have to hold it open with one hand while changing DVD's in a sideways drive.

Warder45

Post by Warder45 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:16 am

Good idea! I have some thick rubber rings I can place under it to minimize vibrations.

Not sure about the door. Since I'll be running either a GTX 260 or HD 4870 I imagine I'll leave the door open and remove the grills to help with airflow, so I can slow down the fan on the video card.

Sylph-DS

Post by Sylph-DS » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:42 pm

You could also just pull the feet off the bottom, I haven't had mine come off the P182 too yet, but the ones I had on my Solo came off all the time and I reckon the ones on my P182 would've probably been the same if I hadn't already made the feet nice and slidy by putting some tape on the bottom.

(Basically, the feet on my solo let loose because I moved my case around a lot, and the grip of the feet was so good that they stuck to the floor rather than to the case)