Just one fan in the whole case...

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

readk

Post by readk » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:55 pm

Its cool, another thing is that I can probably afford to melt a processor for fun if I gotta :D Just don't want to burn my house down...

victorhortalives
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by victorhortalives » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:59 am

vertigo :

Quote " Aris's setup surprises me. Now that I think about it, the hot air from the PSU is not likely to be sucked in again, it'll go above the cooler air like a warm front would. I'm very wary about having the PSU near the fan " Unquote

He's got his system in a 3480 (as I have also), so the top compartment is isolated from the CPU etc. With a fanless PSU in the top it works fine (mine also).

vertigo

Post by vertigo » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:35 am

Thanks, Victor. That sealed tunnel will definitely help to keep the hot air in the case away from the PSU.

Aris

Post by Aris » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:31 am

the isolated thermal regioin for the PSU on the 3480 is really what makes the entire project possible. Theirs a huge vent right over the PSU region that lets the PSU keep itself cool. Blowing air in from the rear puts cool air right on the CPU heatsink. You could probably suck air out, but you might need a duct to get enough air to pass through the CPU heatsink. I blow in so that i can filter the air with some custom ordered pleated air filters.

shakyone

Post by shakyone » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:56 pm

I don't know why the single fan is a hard requirement, but consider the Noctua NF-S12 800 rpm fans. They are unbelievably quiet, and I have three going, all the time.

The Motherboard does manage the speed of two of them, but the third is going all out, all the time. It moves the air around my GPU which is doing F@home all day long.

I have to put my ear three inches away to actually hear them. When I disable F@home that is, because my GPU is the loud component normally.

No I'm not deaf. I get my hearing checked every year (its a job requirement), and I consistently test +5db at 1000 Hz.

Don't hate the case Fans. They are not all bad (err loud).