Anyone know a case that will fit in my HiFi rack

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Post Reply
ellispa
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:40 am
Location: Wales, UK

Anyone know a case that will fit in my HiFi rack

Post by ellispa » Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:57 am

Hi All

Newbie here, so sorry if its a stupid question.

been looking at building a HTPC for a while now, and finally think the tech has caught up with my ambitions.

Am looking at a system containing this

Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H 9400 motherboard
Intel e5200 or similar CPU
Enermax Modu 82+ PSU
Scythe minja
Corsair XMS2 2x1GB PC6400 (already have 1gb of this to spare)
LG BluRay drive

Primarily this will be used to play BluRay/HD DVD etc, and possibly some TV recording etc, so might add a TV Tuner. Also, would like to add a soundcard that can handle the HD audio from BluRay once they sort out a way to do it properly, and potentially a seperate graphics card at a later date

The only thing I can't really figure out is the case

My HiFi furniture is made of solid wood, and the largest hole to put something in is 44cm wide and 25cm tall. Depth is not a problem. It holds my Denon 4306 amp well enough, but there isn't much room for it to breath. All the HTPC cases I have looked at are at least 43cm wide, with side fans or vents that suggest they need a bit more room than I have in the rack.

So is there a case out there that can fit in that space and still allows me to fit in the above system, and do it all quietly? Are there any SFF cases that fit the bill, or anything out of the box that I have missed.

I'd like an Antec Fusion, but that won't fit, and while the LC 17 from Silverstone is smaller (43cm wide) thats not a lot of room for venting etc.

Any opinions or criticisms gratefully received etc, and thanks in advance for any help.

Riffer
Posts: 517
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2003 4:14 pm
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Anyone know a case that will fit in my HiFi rack

Post by Riffer » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:08 am

ellispa wrote:.... All the HTPC cases I have looked at are at least 43cm wide, with side fans or vents that suggest they need a bit more room than I have in the rack...
So the rack is enclosed so you are woried about ventilation space?

If not for that, you can actually fit some pretty big cases in there. Silverstone is my favorite - I have a LC17B. Mine is out in the open, so I don't know how it would perform in an enclosed rack.

vertigo
Posts: 647
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2005 6:09 am
Location: UK

Post by vertigo » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:14 am

There are small cases available. Here is a random one I found on NewEgg but the PSU looks noisy.

I don't know much about HTPC systems but trying to find a thin one to fit a Ninja is probably not going to work (but that's just a guess).

vertigo
Posts: 647
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2005 6:09 am
Location: UK

Post by vertigo » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:22 am

Ignore my previous post. I didn't realize till now that some cases take really small PCI cards with smaller brackets. Such a case would not be worth while.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*
Posts: 2269
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 9:09 am
Location: Northern California.

Post by xan_user » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:46 am

Dont forget to plan for how all the heat from your media PC will effect the other components in the rack.

ellispa
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:40 am
Location: Wales, UK

Re: Anyone know a case that will fit in my HiFi rack

Post by ellispa » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:49 am

Riffer wrote:
ellispa wrote:.... All the HTPC cases I have looked at are at least 43cm wide, with side fans or vents that suggest they need a bit more room than I have in the rack...
So the rack is enclosed so you are woried about ventilation space?

If not for that, you can actually fit some pretty big cases in there. Silverstone is my favorite - I have a LC17B. Mine is out in the open, so I don't know how it would perform in an enclosed rack.
That's right, its solid wood on all four sides (and not really thin enough to drill some holes in them without affecting the stability.

I looked at the LC17, and it would have about 0.5cm gap on either side, which is a pretty tight fit. I would love a Fusion, but they are just a little bit wider than I can use.

That In Win model on NewEgg is interesting, but I'd like something I can stick a different PSU in. Still, I might not have that luxury, so maybe I need to think outside the box a little.

vertigo
Posts: 647
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2005 6:09 am
Location: UK

Post by vertigo » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:13 am

That In Win model on NewEgg is interesting, but I'd like something I can stick a different PSU in. Still, I might not have that luxury, so maybe I need to think outside the box a little.
Yeah, although that case can't take normal PCI cards so it would be incredibly limiting.

psiu
Posts: 1201
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:53 pm
Location: Plymouth, MI
Contact:

Post by psiu » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:58 am

I have this case and yes it does have limitations, and no it's not up to the build quality of the elite brands, but it might fit the bill:
NZXT Duet

I believe Newegg has the wrong dimensions also--here is the product page at NZXT's website: link, click on specs. Shows it as 369.4 X 144.5 X 454.4 mm (W X H X D).

Can put a 120mm fan on either side and either remove or undervolt the rear fans that come with it (or replace I guess).
Would recommend putting hard drive into extra 5.25" bay to get some air around it also.
It's full ATX size and has full height PCI slots. Might work out for you, there's plenty of reviews online, just do a google search for "NZXT Duet review" -- they are all pretty pleased with it in the end, which led me to buy it, and I would have to agree. Not perfect but ends up doing the job and looks nice.

I will measure the width later to confirm it is ~37cm wide.

edit: found a review with a third set of dimensions. apparently it is a magic case that changes sizes when someone comes near to measure it!

ellispa
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:40 am
Location: Wales, UK

Post by ellispa » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:04 am

psiu wrote:I have this case and yes it does have limitations, and no it's not up to the build quality of the elite brands, but it might fit the bill:
NZXT Duet

I believe Newegg has the wrong dimensions also--here is the product page at NZXT's website: link, click on specs. Shows it as 369.4 X 144.5 X 454.4 mm (W X H X D).

Can put a 120mm fan on either side and either remove or undervolt the rear fans that come with it (or replace I guess).
Would recommend putting hard drive into extra 5.25" bay to get some air around it also.
It's full ATX size and has full height PCI slots. Might work out for you, there's plenty of reviews online, just do a google search for "NZXT Duet review" -- they are all pretty pleased with it in the end, which led me to buy it, and I would have to agree. Not perfect but ends up doing the job and looks nice.

I will measure the width later to confirm it is ~37cm wide.

edit: found a review with a third set of dimensions. apparently it is a magic case that changes sizes when someone comes near to measure it!
That's an interesting one that. Its a bit thin on the ground in the UK, and may need a bit of work to get it to be silent, but it would certainly fit in the hole, as it were.

Also been looking at the Silverstone Sugo SG01, which is more available, but seems to be slightly more compromised. But, it fits!

So its the NZXT Duet, a Sugo SG01, or a Silverstone LC17 with only a tiny bit of breathing room on either side.

Compromises on each, but at least I have some options now.

Cheers, and keep the advice coming!

psiu
Posts: 1201
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:53 pm
Location: Plymouth, MI
Contact:

Post by psiu » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:08 am

I checked the NZXT Duet with my tape measure:

W = ~14.5" = ~37cm
H = ~5.75" = ~14.7cm
D = ~18.5" = ~47cm

So definitely a little bit of room on the side. And I rounded up in inches and rounded up again in my conversions.

ellispa
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:40 am
Location: Wales, UK

Post by ellispa » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:34 am

psiu wrote:I checked the NZXT Duet with my tape measure:

W = ~14.5" = ~37cm
H = ~5.75" = ~14.7cm
D = ~18.5" = ~47cm

So definitely a little bit of room on the side. And I rounded up in inches and rounded up again in my conversions.
Many thanks for doing that, it looks like a very possible candidate if I can get hold of one in the UK.

Cheers

Post Reply