PSU for Antec 3480

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

diodorus

PSU for Antec 3480

Post by diodorus » Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:42 am

Hello,

I have an antec 3480, and it looks like the PSU that came with it (EA 380) doesn't work well with the motherboard i have (a DFI JR 790GX): the pc only starts after a few attempts, and from what i understood it's because the PSU has only a 2.5A +5VSB output (while DFI motherboards like to have 3A, at least). :cry:

That's why I am thinking of putting a Corsair 520. However, I am worried about three things:
  • * How deep is it? The EA380 that I have now is 14 cm deep, and because I also put a blue-ray rom (deeper than allowed by this antec case), i had to make some holes in the back grid of the EA 380 PSU in order to make space for the blue-ray connectors. Would this be possible with the corsair 520?
  • * I see, from some pictures, that the corsair 520 has a fan on top (or is it the bottom?). Would that be a problem with the antec 3480?
  • * is the corsair noisier than the ea380?
Or does anyobe has any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Diodo

victorhortalives
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by victorhortalives » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:28 am

Yes, I have tried this.

1. Corsair 520 Modular is longer than the Antec PSU, but DOES fit OK. I recommend that you go for the modular version (if at all) as there isn't much room for ALL the PSU cables AND any cables for items that you might want to put in the top. Any leftover but attached Corsair PSU cables will fit in the floppy drive tray (if empty!)

2. BUT the Corsair will be noisy as you will have to run it fan upwards to allow PSU heat to escape via the grills. BUT that will also make the fan noise very obvious.

3. I tried the Corsair and rejected it as the noise was too much. I also rejected the Antec PSU as being even noisier. I tried a fan swap in the Antec but it failed with the only spare I had to hand.

4. Instead I bought a Silverstone Passive. Perfect for me as the grill allows the heat to get out, but no noise. This is longer than the Corsair 520, but will also fit. This is what I ended up with. (Also the config that SPCR uses)

Now - to your specific problem. I only have a normal DVD writer so there was enough room even with the Silverstone.

I still have the unused Corsair in my attic, so I went and measured it. Length is 150mm but you will need another 30mm min to allow any PSU cables to be plugged in/out. This extra might be underneath any DVD writer, but there is a cable bulge in the top part of the Corsair of at least 20mm. So my guess is that NO the Corsair won't fit with a longer DVD writer.

I also don't see how you could solve this with cutting holes in the Corsair as you will need to free up quite a large extra length.

Do you have a low enough power expectation to allow the use of the 150W Pico PSU ????

diodorus

Post by diodorus » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:22 am

thanks for the reply.

no pico 150W psu, i'm currently at around 230W.

the silverston, however, has also "only" 2.5A, so I fear I will have the same problems with the motherboard.

but is the corsair 520 less noisy than the antec ea320? if so, i could live with that...

i can't find a pic of the "back" (the side that will be closest to the dvd rom) of the corsair: is it a grill or a full metal "plate"?

i was thinking of taking a pic of my current situation, maybe if you see it you could tell me if you think the corsair would fit...?

thanks a lot!
diodo

Aris

Post by Aris » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:52 am

If you can afford it, i recommend this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817104035

Since the 3480 has a seperate thermal region for the PSU, and a large vent over the PSU itself, it will easily stay cool enough under load without effecting the temp of other hardware in the chamber below it.

diodorus

Post by diodorus » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:30 am

Aris wrote:If you can afford it, i recommend this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817104035
but that only has +5VSB @ 2.5A...

i found this:
http://www.silverstonetek.com/products/ ... s&area=usa

it's 14cm deep and has +5VSB @ 3A...

victorhortalives
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by victorhortalives » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:58 am

Just got back in, but it occurs to me that maybe a better answer is to find a new case.

This way you can decouple the PSU from the physical problems with the 3450.

I also have 2x P182s. Very very quiet, even with a Corsair PSU.

victorhortalives
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by victorhortalives » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:39 am

Here's the SPCR review of the Corsair modular PSUs.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article692-page2.html

Look at the two pics, the appearance is the same for both PSUs.

With the fan upwards the fixed power cords are on the same side of the 3480 as the side slot in the 3480. (so easier to work with)

Yes, the Corsair is quieter than the Antec PSU (deeper fan note also)

I just found this review of the non-modular Corsair PSUs.

http://www.technic3d.com/article-633,2- ... -550vx.htm

Back plate looks to be solid also.

The back plate of your Silverstone looks to be solid also. (It's probably the same PSU - doesn't Silverstone make the PSUs for Corsair ?)

From the spec comparisons it would seem that the non-modular PSUs are 10mm shorter than the modular PSUs (140mm vs 150mm), but I think this will still be a problem as you will not be able to make holes in the solid PSU plates.

diodorus

Post by diodorus » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:13 am

thanks. (i would prefer to stick to this case if possible).

i just found the enermax pro: it's 14 cm deep, same cable side as antec, and looking at the inside i can make a hole to make space for the blu-ray connectors:

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/psus/2 ... o_82_psu/4

(i cannot do the same with modulare versions)

(dumb) question: which would be quieter, the 425W or 525W version?

victorhortalives
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by victorhortalives » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:21 am

diodorus wrote:thanks. (i would prefer to stick to this case if possible).

i just found the enermax pro: it's 14 cm deep, same cable side as antec, and looking at the inside i can make a hole to make space for the blu-ray connectors:

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/psus/2 ... o_82_psu/4

(i cannot do the same with modulare versions)

(dumb) question: which would be quieter, the 425W or 525W version?
Sorry, can't help.

madhorsefuzzy

Post by madhorsefuzzy » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:55 am

diodorus wrote:(dumb) question: which would be quieter, the 425W or 525W version?
Check this out. ;)

I'll go with the 525W.

diodorus

Post by diodorus » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:54 am

madhorsefuzzy wrote:
diodorus wrote:(dumb) question: which would be quieter, the 425W or 525W version?
Check this out. ;)

I'll go with the 525W.
thanks!