Lian-Li B10

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Rebellious

Lian-Li B10

Post by Rebellious » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:06 pm

What is Lian-Li doing here? There is a one-piece assembly in the mid-section, inserted through the front, with a 12cm fan:

http://lian-li.com/v2/tw/product/upload ... b10-04.jpg

and from the inside it looks like this:

http://lian-li.com/v2/tw/product/upload ... b10-18.jpg

But, what can you do with those 3 bays once the fan is in there?

walle

Post by walle » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:52 pm

Rebellious wrote:What is Lian-Li doing here? There is a one-piece assembly in the mid-section, inserted through the front, with a 12cm fan:
My guess would be that its there to bring in cool air over the heatsink/motherboard area, and that its removable giving you 4 5.25" bays in total, should you ever need that instead of the additional cooling.

Rebellious

Post by Rebellious » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:45 am

Those 3 bays are unusable with the fan assembly in place, that seems like a lot of wasted space. It's a daring layout though. I wonder who designs his stuff, the 343B modular cube is designed by a group in Norway.

blackworx
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by blackworx » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:53 am

Basically identical to the Scythe Kama Bay. Sure it makes the bays unusable for 5.25" devices, but for a lot of people that doesn't matter as long as they have one free. Plus you could suspend a whole stack of hard drives in the gap if you wanted.

Rebellious

Post by Rebellious » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:40 am

ok, that's what I'd do anyway, I gave up on 3.5" disks a few years ago. viewtopic.php?p=454584&highlight=#454584

Did you notice that this is the first upright tower-type case that officially supports mounting 2.5" disks? And 2mm thick side panels just in case you still wanna use some 3.5" rattlers.

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:54 am

Rebellious wrote:Did you notice that this is the first upright tower-type case that officially supports mounting 2.5" disks?
Indeed.
http://lian-li.com/v2/tw/product/upload ... b10-27.jpg

I wonder how good would this case be for a quiet PC? Maybe those thick side panels and noise absorption foam (albeit not very thick) could help its aluminum construction? And what about their HDD "suspension"?
It fits big video cards like the GTX260/280/295 while being roughly the same width and height as my Solo which is perfect because the Solo can't fit those video cards and I have limited space where my case is.

Too bad it doesn't have a removable motherboard tray like the PC-B25. Why don't more manufacturers incorporate that feature in their cases?!

Rebellious

Post by Rebellious » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:18 am

rpsgc wrote:
Rebellious wrote:Did you notice that this is the first upright tower-type case that officially supports mounting 2.5" disks?
Indeed.

I wonder how good would this case be for a quiet PC? Maybe those thick side panels and noise absorption foam (albeit not very thick) could help its aluminum construction? And what about their HDD "suspension"?
It fits big video cards like the GTX260/280/295 while being roughly the same width and height as my Solo which is perfect because the Solo can't fit those video cards and I have limited space where my case is.

Too bad it doesn't have a removable motherboard tray like the PC-B25. Why don't more manufacturers incorporate that feature in their cases?!
The very inexpensive Lancool K7 has the same layout as the B25. The K7 also has 2 front intake fans, but unlike the B10 it doesn't create unusable space next to them, and it has a removable mobo tray. I think the A17 has the best of both and is the most adaptable, it also has a 140mm top fan, which might be better if you're using high-end video. Mine is very quiet but as you can see I'm using 2.5" disks.

//

Riffer

Post by Riffer » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:39 am

rpsgc wrote:
..Too bad it doesn't have a removable motherboard tray like the PC-B25. Why don't more manufacturers incorporate that feature in their cases?!
I have the B25B, and aligning everything is such a hassle that I just end up assembling the system as if there is no removable tray.

If it was a removable tray like I had on my ATC-110 (that slides out the back) it would have been a lot better.

Either way, big coolers like the Thermalrights, have to mounted with the motherboard tray in the case due to clearance issues.

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:43 am

Nah, I was just venting. I don't really need a motherboard tray. Just a case that is deeper yet has the same height and width as the Solo and this one fits the bill just right. And it has some interesting features.

spcr wasn't too hard on the PC-101 almost three years ago and this one seems to quite improved.

EsaT

Post by EsaT » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:42 am

Rebellious wrote:And 2mm thick side panels
I think that's been around for some time in V-serie cases.
rpsgc wrote:Indeed.

You can be sure that Akasa Paxmate doesn't dampen anything except light making surface look foamy black instead of bare metal.
Despite of lacking name it is same as Akasa Paxmate.

And that HDD tray... You put HDD into metal tray and vibration insulation comes only after that?
Sure it's better than whole case vibrating fully but that tray itself is already going to amplify noise of HDD.
Old "screw rubber grommets directly to drive" system was better because it at least minimized HDD's direct contact to anything else.

Shaman
Friend of SPCR

Post by Shaman » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:17 pm

That is the nicest Lian Li case I have ever seen. Period.

ghitz

Post by ghitz » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:21 pm

I find the Lian Li cases way too deep for my liking.

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:19 pm

ghitz wrote:I find the Lian Li cases way too deep for my liking.
I'm glad they're deep! That way I can use long video cards without fear of them not fitting.

Xeanor

Post by Xeanor » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:48 am

Shaman wrote:That is the nicest Lian Li case I have ever seen. Period.
Got to agree here. This is by far the most beautiful of all Lian Li cases.