HTPC advise please

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

infamousurge

HTPC advise please

Post by infamousurge » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:18 am

Hi all,

I'm new to silentpcreview, and have spent the last few days reading the reviews etc. I have been very impressed so far.

Was wondering if anyone could recommend a HTPC case for me; I'm looking into making a media server with as much HDD space as possible to store my DVDs.

My technical requirements are:

Cheap
ATX motherboard (Asus M4a78-VM running AMD Athlon 6000)
2x optical drives (LG GGC-H20L Blu-Ray/HD DVD Player)
6x HDD (or as many as possible)
Decent cooling

I was looking at the Silverstone GD01/LC17, but was looking for something cheaper than £100.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

infamous

InfyMcGirk

Post by InfyMcGirk » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:28 am

I don't know a huge amount about HTPC cases... but I would think you'd struggle to find one with space for more than one or two HDDs. I've never heard of an HTPC case with 6+ HDD slots.

You'd perhaps be better off either using a more traditional server case or considering putting your storage in a separate box in another room or a cupboard. This would also have the advantage that the storage server need not be too quiet (depending on where it was placed, of course). You could get a NAS if you don't want to bother with building a second PC.

Just an idea... ;)

speedkar9

Re: HTPC advise please

Post by speedkar9 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:06 am

infamousurge wrote:My technical requirements are:
Cheap
ATX motherboard (Asus M4a78-VM running AMD Athlon 6000)
2x optical drives (LG GGC-H20L Blu-Ray/HD DVD Player)
6x HDD (or as many as possible)
Decent cooling
Antec P182. The only thing it won't do is sit on its side like an HTPC case would, but you can still use it upright as an HTPC case. :)

yamahaSHO

Post by yamahaSHO » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:07 am

Agreed. Finding a good HTPC case with that much HDD space is going to be... Pretty hard to do. I don't think I've found one. I can fit 3 HDD's in a NSK-2480, but I only run one laptop HDD in it.

If you need that much space, do like InfyMcGirk suggested and get a traditional tower (I used a P180B as an HTPC for a year) or build a media server.

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:33 am

I'd go the route of having a separate file server, which would free you up to use whatever HTPC case you liked best and allow you the flexibility of choosing a big case (or using an old desktop) to serve up movies/files easily to the rest of the PC in your household.

Using JBODs of that many drives on a critical system seems like it would be more effort than it's worth in an HTPC. Windows Home Server is a good OS to use for a media sharing OS, assuming all your other systems are Windows-based. It will also allow you do to automated backups and updates across the network, combined with file duplication for everything critical all without ponying up for special RAID hardware.

kenoka

Post by kenoka » Sun May 03, 2009 2:05 am

The Lian Li PC-C32 has two optical bays, but "only" 4 1/4 height bays: http://www.virtual-hideout.net/reviews/ ... ndex.shtml

The NMediaPC 6000B has 6 1/4 height bays, but only one half height bay. http://www.directron.com/htpc6000b.html

If you need the two opticals, then go for the Lian Li and get an external hard drive case. There are some with multiple bays.

If you have to have six drives internally, then get the NMediaPC and get an external Optical device.