P183 or P193?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

jberling

P183 or P193?

Post by jberling » Wed May 27, 2009 11:12 pm

This might be better of in the newbie section (I certainly feel like one), but as it is a very "Cases and Damping"-related question I post it here. Feel free to move it...

I'm specifying a new PC that will be used mainly for music playing/creation and video editing. NO gaming whatsoever.

Proc: Intel Core i7 920
Motherboard: Asus P6T WS Prof
PSU: Antec Signature 650 (can't find the Nexus 430 Value at a decent dealer in Sweden)
CPU Cooling: Noctua NH-U12P 1366
HD: SSD for OS, probably Intel, and Samsung F1 1 TB for storage.
Graphics card: ATI HD 3650, don't need anything fancy
Soundcard: I'll reuse my RME PCI soundcard from my current DAW.

6 Gb RAM, DVD burner, etc. Nothing fancy ...

My dealer recommends Antec P193 but my question is if that case would be better for me then the P183? I do not need the extra size, so are there any other obvious advantages with the P193 over the P183, such as better air flow or less noise?

/Jonas

m0002a

Post by m0002a » Wed May 27, 2009 11:49 pm

The 193 has a side 200mm Antec fan for dual high-power video cards. You obviously do not need that, and it will just produce more noise, so go with the 183. If your dealer knows your requirements and recommended the 193, then maybe you shouldn't listen to anything else he tells you.

Olle P

Post by Olle P » Wed May 27, 2009 11:53 pm

m0002a wrote:If your dealer knows your requirements and recommended the 193, then maybe you shouldn't listen to anything else he tells you.
I second that!

/Olle

jberling

Post by jberling » Wed May 27, 2009 11:59 pm

Well, I *am* very careful about what any dealer says. :evil:

That's why I am asking around in this forum... :lol:

Thanks for the reply, great info.

/Jonas

Matija

Post by Matija » Thu May 28, 2009 1:17 am

You need three drives.

One of them will be used for backup.

One will be used as source, the other as destination when you do downmixes and stuff.

jberling

Post by jberling » Thu May 28, 2009 1:52 am

I have external disks (and external services on internet) for backups.

Never ever had problems when downmixing to one single disk, even on my oldish, soon retired, Dell Dimension 8200 2GHz. But thanks for the reminder anyway.

/Jonas

Bakkone
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bakkone » Thu May 28, 2009 10:38 am

I think you will be better off with a gigabyte motherboard. They use the TI firewire controller which is better for music production, I dont think ASUS uses the TI one.

As for the graphics. Id get a newer passive one. The difference in price won't be that much.

As for the case. Im thinking maybe you should go with a P182. If you dont plan on using the CP-850, and since you won't be using any high-end graphics. Also, the p182 has FW on the front.

jberling

Post by jberling » Fri May 29, 2009 12:12 am

So what "newer passive" graphics should I get? If I'm a newbie on quiet computers and parts I am... whatever worse than that... on graphics. :roll:

/Jonas

new2spcr
Friend of SPCR

Post by new2spcr » Fri May 29, 2009 3:33 am

jberling wrote:So what "newer passive" graphics should I get? If I'm a newbie on quiet computers and parts I am... whatever worse than that... on graphics. :roll:

/Jonas
Komplett.se carries some passive graphic cards:

http://tinyurl.com/nndqp6

I don't know how well they perform though...I'm not a gamer. :)

As for the computer case, I'm pretty happy with my P182.
P183 comes equipped with more holes/openings (equipped with something that's empty? :) ) which probably will allow more noise to reach thy ears.

jberling

Post by jberling » Fri May 29, 2009 5:55 am

But what is newer and better at app. the same money? Or will the 3650 do just fine?

/Jonas

idale

Post by idale » Fri May 29, 2009 6:02 am

new2spcr wrote:As for the computer case, I'm pretty happy with my P182.
P183 comes equipped with more holes/openings (equipped with something that's empty? :) ) which probably will allow more noise to reach thy ears.
From what I recall of the SPCR review on the P183, it would be a little noisier with the door open, but about the same with the door closed (and with less-restrictive faceplates and such, keeping the door open for airflow isn't as "necessary"). Though looking back at Lawrence's conclusions, I'd forgotten about the changed upper fan mount and his complaints about it being noisy out-of-the-box. Though depending on supply availability, the older models may no longer be available there (though depending on your needs and taste, a P183 may very well be more attractive than the older models).

For the OP, as mentioned, the P193 wouldn't seem necessary. It's a server-sized case (EATX), and comes with a 1200W PSU (which you wouldn't need). Higher cost with more waste for your purposes. Of course, if you like really roomy cases, then that's a different matter. Maybe stick a low-power mini-ITX system in that? ;)

As for video card, if you're not doing much with it, then you can pretty much get whatever you want. Passive would help the noise issue, though at least in the US we've got passive 3650s available. The 4670 is usually put forward as a good cross between performance and power (and is available in a couple of passive models over here), but sometimes your needs are just "something cheap and not completely useless", and unless you see yourself gaming (or doing other activities that the GPU can be tasked with), it's not worth the extra cost. :)

new2spcr
Friend of SPCR

Post by new2spcr » Fri May 29, 2009 7:33 am

idale wrote: From what I recall of the SPCR review on the P183, it would be a little noisier with the door open, but about the same with the door closed (and with less-restrictive faceplates and such, keeping the door open for airflow isn't as "necessary"). Though looking back at Lawrence's conclusions, I'd forgotten about the changed upper fan mount and his complaints about it being noisy out-of-the-box. Though depending on supply availability, the older models may no longer be available there (though depending on your needs and taste, a P183 may very well be more attractive than the older models).

For the OP, as mentioned, the P193 wouldn't seem necessary. It's a server-sized case (EATX), and comes with a 1200W PSU (which you wouldn't need). Higher cost with more waste for your purposes. Of course, if you like really roomy cases, then that's a different matter. Maybe stick a low-power mini-ITX system in that? ;)

As for video card, if you're not doing much with it, then you can pretty much get whatever you want. Passive would help the noise issue, though at least in the US we've got passive 3650s available. The 4670 is usually put forward as a good cross between performance and power (and is available in a couple of passive models over here), but sometimes your needs are just "something cheap and not completely useless", and unless you see yourself gaming (or doing other activities that the GPU can be tasked with), it's not worth the extra cost. :)
Yeah, according to the review there are improvements made over the P182 and it's probably a better choice if one needs to run hotter components and doesn't want to do any mods on it... It seems no special mods are needed to improve the airflow, for example the plastic doors that cover the intake holes are alread optimized which I think is great. I think I spent two hours trimming down those darn doors on my P182.

The P182, which I think is more handsome and with some mods is performing ok, is still available at many e-tailers in Sweden. :)

I have lower than low entry graphic board, the Nvidia Geforce 7300GS and I can't stop recommending it. It draws very little power and still performs enough to play some not-too-advanced 3D games.
Again, I'm not a gamer but I had to see if it could run Nexuis (a shooter game for Linux) without stuttering. ;)

new2spcr
Friend of SPCR

Post by new2spcr » Fri May 29, 2009 7:35 am

jberling wrote:But what is newer and better at app. the same money? Or will the 3650 do just fine?

/Jonas
Sorry Jonas, I have no idea which graphic board will perform better.

jberling

Post by jberling » Fri May 29, 2009 1:17 pm

Thanks for the input, everyone! I know my dealer can get hold of both the P182 and the P183, so I'll have to choose. Right now I favour the P183. I might have to cover the top vent, but it seems worth it. But my standpoint changes about 5 times a day... :roll:

Concerning the graphics (sorry, it is out of topic), I have no specific requirements apart from the quietness, but I interpreted Bakkone's answer as if there was some obvious better choices than the 3650 in the same price range. As mentioned, I do no gaming whatsoever on this PC, so my requirements are modest. But I know absolutely nothing about graphics cards these days...

/Jonas

idale

Post by idale » Fri May 29, 2009 3:47 pm

jberling wrote:Thanks for the input, everyone! I know my dealer can get hold of both the P182 and the P183, so I'll have to choose. Right now I favour the P183. I might have to cover the top vent, but it seems worth it. But my standpoint changes about 5 times a day... :roll:
Honestly, you can't go wrong either way. Even the original P180 is a fine case. I'm no silence freak ("quiet" is good enough in my case), but both my P180 (housing a normal-use system) and P182 (housing my web/file server) have been good performers. While I'm like new2spcr and prefer the styling of the P182 over the P183, everyone's tastes are different, and there have been some additional improvements to take into consideration (though the top fan sounds like a bust, but hopefully not too difficult to remedy).
Concerning the graphics (sorry, it is out of topic), I have no specific requirements apart from the quietness, but I interpreted Bakkone's answer as if there was some obvious better choices than the 3650 in the same price range. As mentioned, I do no gaming whatsoever on this PC, so my requirements are modest. But I know absolutely nothing about graphics cards these days...
As long as you pretty much just need something to show video on the screen, I don't see why even really old cards (or integrated solutions) wouldn't work. If it's got the connections you need for your monitor, then chances are you're set. Yes, newer can feel better, and higher-performance cards give you more overhead, but just like you don't need a 1200W PSU to power a 60W system, going with way more GPU than you need seems a little silly, unless it gets you more value (such as getting into a lower-power card to save on heat/power). I wouldn't agonize too much over it, personally. 8)