Alternative to p182/3? Gigabyte Cupio 6140

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

ddrj

Alternative to p182/3? Gigabyte Cupio 6140

Post by ddrj » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:11 pm

Hey guys, i was trying to find reviews of this case but can't find it anywhere on the web. It's only a few bucks cheaper than the p182 but it looks pretty good... What do you guys think?

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Cha ... uctID=3042

EDIT: just saw the huge mesh on the side, for some reason i thought it was acrylic... this would be horrible for silencing

Olle P

Re: Alternative to p182/3? Gigabyte Cupio 6140

Post by Olle P » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:43 am

ddrj wrote:... it looks pretty good.
the huge mesh on the side... would be horrible for silencing
I agree. It's definitely a looker! ... but by no means great for quiet operation.

Cheers
Olle

mbf

Post by mbf » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:52 am

I'm going to "hijack" this tread for the simple reason that my question is very similar. :)

I'm looking at a new case too. I need a midi tower, black, depth of max. 52 cm, preferably with a door (that opens to the right), and it should be able to hold a modern graphics card like a GTX 275 or a HD 4890. Oh, and I need that case to be QUIET.

Three possible choices seem to have manifested themselves: The Antec P182/3, the Gigabyte Cupio 6140 and the Lancool/Lian-Li PC-K10. Not much is known about the Cupio 6140 and it more or less only seems to be available in the Pacific area for now, so it's really down to either the P18x or the K10.

My question then is, does anyone know how the K10 compares to the P18x noisewise (and also spacewise)?

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:57 pm

The chances of anyone knowing about the K10 will have been severely affected by Lian Li's decision to discontinue it. So it will become increasingly hard to find. But on the face of it the combination of thin aluminum panels plus a steel chassis doesn't look particularly promising in terms of silence or freedom from vibration.

mbf

Post by mbf » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:07 am

lodestar wrote:The chances of anyone knowing about the K10 will have been severely affected by Lian Li's decision to discontinue it. So it will become increasingly hard to find. But on the face of it the combination of thin aluminum panels plus a steel chassis doesn't look particularly promising in terms of silence or freedom from vibration.
Thanks for your comment.

I'd have thought much (most?) of the vibration would be eliminated by the K10's padded side (and top) panels? I know they're not layered like the ones on the P18x series, but still...?