A Definitive Answer on the Silverstone TJ08

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Cake_Eater

A Definitive Answer on the Silverstone TJ08

Post by Cake_Eater » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:18 pm

In reading the forum posts here, the review of Puget's system on the main site, and various reviews around the internet I still don't think I've gotten a good feel for the Silverstone TJ08. Under SPCR's case recommendations list they rank the case, but don't seem to really go into the case's acoustic performance so much as Puget's system in the review. I'm in the market for a lightweight microATX (or a small tower ATX) case and the TJ08 looks to be the best so far (another choice is the mini P180, but it's a last resort as it is very large and heavy for a microATX case).

JamieG

Post by JamieG » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:10 pm

You might also be interested in this SPCR article:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/Single_Mo ... stone_TJ08.

Cake_Eater

Post by Cake_Eater » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:38 pm

I have read through that article, I was sort of hoping for a review of the case just on its own merits.

On another note: I've been looking more and more at the Antec NSK3480 as it's slightly smaller than the TJ08, though my prime concern though was air circulation through the Antec. Would an i7, TRUE (with an NF-P12), and 4890 get enough circulation to run comfortably in a 3480, or is it worth the extra inch or so on the TJ08?

jessekopelman

Post by jessekopelman » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:45 am

I think the definitive answer is that the NSK3480 is much better straight out of the box, but with enough work the TJ08 can be made to work quite excellently. I think if you are just looking at the level of throwing a bunch of components and fans into the case, NSK3480 is the better choice.

Shobai

Post by Shobai » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:55 am

i bought the nsk3400 [at the time] while my mate got a TJ08 for our last machines.

having built both, i much preferred integrity of the nsk! the TJ sometimes felt like i was bending it, and even now, i know which one i rather transporting anywhere..

i spent a bit of time ducting/compartmentalising the nsk, and it ran a semi passive Ninja on X2 6000+ with an 8800GTX then 9800GTX with no troubles -mid 60C max temps in summer.

maybe i'm just biased by fond memory, but i'd have no trouble recommending the nsk3480. out of the box it'll be fine, with some work it can be great.

swivelguy2

Post by swivelguy2 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:41 am

Make sure to widen your search to include the Cooler Master Elite 340. It's the same case with a different bezel and a lower price tag (but less availability).

The CM340's bezel is 100% black steel mesh, with a layer of plastic foam air filter behind it. I ducted a straight-through (80mm fan) PSU to the top 5" bay, leaving the 2nd optical bay for an ODD. Then I cut the hell out of the front wall of the case and fit 2x120mm intake fans, turning the entire lower portion of the case into a filtered, positive-pressure, straight-through airflow zone.

Cake_Eater

Post by Cake_Eater » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:06 am

Shobai wrote:i bought the nsk3400 [at the time] while my mate got a TJ08 for our last machines.

having built both, i much preferred integrity of the nsk! the TJ sometimes felt like i was bending it, and even now, i know which one i rather transporting anywhere..

i spent a bit of time ducting/compartmentalising the nsk, and it ran a semi passive Ninja on X2 6000+ with an 8800GTX then 9800GTX with no troubles -mid 60C max temps in summer.

maybe i'm just biased by fond memory, but i'd have no trouble recommending the nsk3480. out of the box it'll be fine, with some work it can be great.
The only thing I'm wary about is heatsink clearance issues, but if you fit a Ninja in it then I'll probably have no problems. As I already have a PSU, is it possible to get the NSK3400 without one?
swivelguy2 wrote:Make sure to widen your search to include the Cooler Master Elite 340. It's the same case with a different bezel and a lower price tag (but less availability).

The CM340's bezel is 100% black steel mesh, with a layer of plastic foam air filter behind it. I ducted a straight-through (80mm fan) PSU to the top 5" bay, leaving the 2nd optical bay for an ODD. Then I cut the hell out of the front wall of the case and fit 2x120mm intake fans, turning the entire lower portion of the case into a filtered, positive-pressure, straight-through airflow zone.
From what I can see it looks like Cooler Master discontinued the 340 Elite, I can't find any in stock at the retailers I normally buy from.