New exciting case: Fractal Design - Define R2

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

posavasos

Post by posavasos » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:44 am

ugrakarma wrote:Compared to for example antec p182 the build quality is somewhat flimsier, nothing drastically bad but still. For the price it's a tough case to beat but the biggest question is that does it make sense if you can afford a p182.
How does it compares to the Antec P182 in terms of noise/silence?

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:19 am

My local hardware dealer, just a short drive away, has it in stock http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Fractal- ... -Front-I-O. And yes, you can choose whether or not to have side and top air vents open with 'ModuVent'.

That's a very reasonable price, just a bit cheaper than the NZXT Tempest or the Coolermaster HAF 922. Relative to Antec it's about £10 ($17 US) more than the Solo.

And they have it in Silver or Titanium too.

Now where did I put those car keys? :D

Pierre

Post by Pierre » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:47 am

A question to those who own the case...

Does opening up the top vent(s) and, furthermore, installing (quiet) fan(s) there really alter the acoustic character of the case?

Thanks in advance...

bozar

Post by bozar » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:46 am

Pierre wrote:A question to those who own the case...

Does opening up the top vent(s) and, furthermore, installing (quiet) fan(s) there really alter the acoustic character of the case?

Thanks in advance...
What do you mean? It gets louder yes but the character of the sound doesn't necessarily change. Why do you need two exhaust fans, do you plan to overclock a lot?

Pierre

Post by Pierre » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:46 am

bozar wrote: What do you mean? It gets louder yes but the character of the sound doesn't necessarily change. Why do you need two exhaust fans, do you plan to overclock a lot?
Well, I meant any change in volume, tone etc...
So it does get louder, eh? Would it be better to keep it beneath the desk or put it on a stand of some kind beside the desk so that the top exhaust is more or less on the same level as my ears (thus being outside the noise-path)? But then, the rear exhaust might also be more audible...

With all 8 hdd trays populated, I am somewhat worried about hdd temperature rising in a case which does not exhaust hot air...I wouldn't like to see those temps rising above 35-37C...

posavasos

Post by posavasos » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:06 am

According to pclab.pl/art40680-9.html (I can't post links) I think the first graph states:

Included fans at min rpms
- Covered fan panels: 22.1 dBA
- Opened fan panels: 27.1 dbA

Pierre

Post by Pierre » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:57 am

That's considerable when talking about quiet pc, but I guess the results posted refer to measurements taken with all vents open, right?

I will be using both front/hdd air vents, the rear exhaust and probably one of the top ones, depending on the temperatures I am getting...

Will be using Papst 4412 N2GLL fans plus the two ones provided by Fractal Design...

Bill Owen
-- Vendor --

Post by Bill Owen » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:00 pm

Nate & I posted HD video review of the R2. Dissected it, more or less for YouTube. NCIX.com (canada) is taking pre-orders for $109.99 + shipping. I can wait until it gets stocked by a online reseller in US.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yw6U0w2eWos

mkk

Post by mkk » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:38 pm

Excellent. Best review I've seen of that case. Video serves especially well for case reviews too.

HammerSandwich
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by HammerSandwich » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:38 pm

Good review there, Bill.

Can you compare the R2's sturdiness to the P18x, CM690 II, and/or Mountain Mods Monticle? I like cases that still feel like anvils after 6 years' abuse.

ugrakarma

Post by ugrakarma » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:48 am

posavasos wrote: How does it compares to the Antec P182 in terms of noise/silence?
Sorry for the late reply. I had basically the same parts inside the p182 and then moved them over to the fractal design one and in purely subjective sense I didn't notice any difference but the temps were a bit higher in the R2 one with default coolers. After replacing them with scythe slipstreams running around 700-800rpm things went back to normal and there wasn't any real difference. With my twisted logic I like to have the gaming box inside the R2 since the parts change quite often and it's slightly easier to work with than P182 which in turn fits a nix box perfectly.

beginner_

Post by beginner_ » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:52 am

Hi,

I most certainly will take this case for my next build. I have following question:

What about the Power supply size?

I'm considering the Enermax modu87+. it's 160mm in length and according to to fractals homepage the psu can be up to 170mm when using a fan. However looking at pictures it seems 160mm will be rather a close fit considering the cables.
Especially on the enermax one the modular cables would be on the bottom of the case:

You must have 3 posts before you can post URL's/Links
So no image possible...

is it still possible to use a 140 mm fan with this psu?

mouettus

Re: New exciting case: Fractal Design - Define R2

Post by mouettus » Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:56 pm

My next server case for sure!

I'll be moving my C2D, 6HDD main rig in that thing and keep my P180 for the new one!