A-Tech HeatSync 7000

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

A-Tech HeatSync 7000

Post by Trip » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:42 pm

A-Tech HeatSync 7000

I'll never buy one (due to cost), but this deserves its own thread.

Case relies on one fan: the PSU (though a cooler system could of course get away with a passive PSU).

Case can be designed to fit an i7 CPU and dual GPUs.

-

Possible drawbacks:

Upgradeability.
Limit ~70W on each GPU (see Moogles's post below).
Last edited by Trip on Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:19 am, edited 3 times in total.

Moogles

Post by Moogles » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:53 am

Best case on the market, imo. The level of custom fabrication is unmatched. Price is prohibitive unfortunately, but not outrageous for the quality. Aircraft aluminimum is very expensive, and each case requires significant machining and assembly time.

Upgradeability is a concern, but I imagine A-tech will provide new heatsinks for different CPU sockets (at a cost, of course). The previous model (Heatsync 6000) was designed for a passive PSU (Antec Phantom 350) and had two (sealed off) 92mm fan mounts. The 7000 looks nicer, but if for some reason A-tech goes out of business and you'd like to upgrade in a couple of years, you'd be stuck. At least with the 6000 you could install a fanned PSU, use the dual 92mm to install fans and have decent airflow (certainly no worse than most HTPC cases that size).

You could probably run any CPU on the market in one, but you'd be limited to 70W graphics cards as each heatpipe is only rated for 35W. 9800GT green edition in SLI is probably the most you could get away with and you'd be really pushing it. Instead of offering support for dual GPU's, I would prefer A-tech make a custom heatsink for a number of popular cards that are similar to waterblocks, except made for heatpipes.

I've been trying to convince myself to get one for ages now, but I just can't get over the cost. :) It would cost me roughly 1000 euros including taxes and shipping. Nuts. Maybe when they offer a S1156 heatsink I'll splurge. :)

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Trip » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:15 am

Wow 35W each pipe? So 4 pipes might could run any CPU...
Best case on the market, imo. The level of custom fabrication is unmatched. Price is prohibitive unfortunately, but not outrageous for the quality. Aircraft aluminimum is very expensive, and each case requires significant machining and assembly time.
I've been trying to convince myself to get one for ages now, but I just can't get over the cost.
Same here.

I'm going to EDIT out my comments since yours are better.