What makes the "Ultimate" mATX case?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

iandh

What makes the "Ultimate" mATX case?

Post by iandh » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:22 pm

I've ignored matx for some time, primarily due to the fact that truly top notch enthusiast matx boards were usually few and far between, and expensive to boot.

With the appearance of many good 785G and X58/P55 micro boards, and a new office layout that requires my PC to be on my desk, I've found myself drifting towards SFF again. I've picked up a Gigabyte P55 Micro and an i5... the problem is, every mATX case I've found sucks in one way or another. :cry:

I have a half sheet of .062" 6061 down at my lasercutting shop left over from a job, so I'm thinking about making up a case design for myself. I'd like to get some input from the community because it may eventually turn into a product.

My personal wish list:

-Attractive and eye-catching, yet subtle and mature
Most matx cases either are compact and look good, yet are hard to work with, or are easy to work with but are so large that they ruin the whole point of going sff.

-Seperate PSU/mobo compartments.
I'd like to keep the mobo compartment seperate from the PSU and optical bays/HDD's, this will allow for heavy sound dampening in the lower compartment without ruining the looks and ventilation of the mobo compartment.

-Cube form factor, compact as possible without sacrificing practicality.
Mini towers are nice, but multi-comparment designs like the mini p182 become too large.

-Built in wire management
This should be pretty easy to do with a two compartment design. This is an area that many mATX cases fail badly in.

-Dampened mounts for both 3.5" and 2.5" drives/SSD
Not really necessary for SSD's, but the flexibility would be welcome.

-Large single piece cover for easy maintenance/access
Most of the compact mATX cases make it horribly inconvenient to get to the components after the case is assembled, and oftentimes require certain build orders.

The above ideas are just what came to mind at the moment.

Any ideas/suggestions are more than welcome. BTW, I've been lurking SPCR for a good long while now, decided that this would be a good place to make this post. :wink:

Thanks!

ntavlas

Post by ntavlas » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:44 pm

I`ve wanted to build a similar case myself so I thought I`d share my thoughts.

I think that the tower format would be better if you`re after the smallest footprint possible. The classic atx design seems to be quite space efficient one, so I would use it as a basis.

As for cable management provisions, it hard to do them right in advance. I think it`s best to build a mockup of the design and then, while building it, decide where the cables should go.

Bottom mounted fans might seem like an issue but I can tell you that front mounted fans tend to suck just as much dust.

AuraAllan
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by AuraAllan » Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:29 am

Antec NSK3300/3400/3480 is THE mATX case if you ask me.

You only need to drill/cut a few holes to put the cables behind the motherboard tray and the case is almost perfect.

If I ever go mATX again I will go for a NSK3300/3400/3480 (again :D)

boost

Re: What makes the "Ultimate" mATX case?

Post by boost » Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:36 pm

iandh wrote:... every mATX case I've found sucks in one way or another. :cry:
True.
I've been trying to design a mATX myself.
You can customize a set of wires for a completely modular psu like the Seasonic X-650.
If you want to improve on existing case designs you have to compromise.
Compact size and low sound level are hard to combine. Dampened hard drive mounts take up extra space so does a good cpu cooler. For a build with an Intel i5/i7 you also need a graphics card. What compromise is ok for you?
How many hard drives and optical drives should the case fit?
Do you want desktop or notebook drives?
How big should the cpu cooler be?

JamieG

Post by JamieG » Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:32 pm

Well, here is my $0.02 worth:

Positioning a full-size ATX (presuming your design will use an ATX PSU and not a SFF PSU or a picoPSU) will be the tricky part.

To maintain a cube-based desktop format while fitting your other design constraints, you will probably have to stack the PSU under the motherboard somehow.

Imagine the Antec NSK1380 with a second compartment added underneath the 'bottom' of that case, which would contain the PSU and some vertically mounted HDDs.

Cut out an intake hole beneath the mounting for the PSU, so that PSUs with 120mm fans can be mounted with that fan facing down and taking cool air from the outside of the case. Have some more ventilation holes in the bottom as well (besides those for the PSU) to allow some cool air in to cool the HDDs, and have an 80mm fan near the HDD mounts to serve as an exhaust fan to suck the cool air from the bottom intake grills over the HDDs.

For the top compartment, have an intake grill with mounts for a 120mm or 140mm fan in the front of the case and a 120mm fan as an exhaust over the I/O area. Fit the DVD drive in the top compartment but high enough that it would not interfere with the tallest of tower CPU coolers.

Roughly, the dimensions would be as follows (width x depth x height, all in centimetres) and is mostly constrained by the need to fit a full-size mATX motherboard in the case mounted horizontally.

Lower compartment: 25 x 25 x 10
Upper compartment: 25 x 25 x 22
Total size: 25 x 25 x 32

FWIW, the 25cm x 25cm base dimensions mean you would be limiting the graphics card that fits in the case, as a lot of high-end cards are now longer than 25cm (10 inches).

The case would need some reasonably sized feet so that there is enough space underneath the case for the PSU's fan to draw air in.

In essence, you will end up with a tower-shaped cube, similar in shape but larger than the Lian Li PC-Q07. To me, this seems like the only way to achieve what you want while maintaining a cube-sized footprint on your desk.

You could probably save about 4-5cm in height if you wanted to make the case fit only top-down coolers instead of tower-style heatsinks.

nutball
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by nutball » Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:08 am

Personally I don't see why people are so enamoured of cube-style cases at micro-ATX size (mini-ITX is a different issue).

They seem to be the worst of both worlds between mini-tower and traditional horizontal slab desktop - too large a footprint to put on the floor under the desk without constantly getting kicked, too tall to shove under a monitor.

Like AuraAllan said the NSK3400/3480 is about perfect size-wise, it's just a bit of an ugly duckling and could do with some better cable routing. Hopefully Antecs coming refresh of it will improve things (though looking at their other recent attempts in the threads here I'm not optimistic).

iandh

Post by iandh » Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:01 pm

The problem with the NSK3480 is the insanely cramped upper compartment.

The best high quality and quiet PSU I've seen that will fit up there is something like the Corsair VX450, which just isn't enough for my needs. It's close, but not quite. I'd like the ability to put in a board like the P55 micro and run dual 5850's. As long as the case can fit mid high-end cards, I'm happy. I'm not building a micro case and expecting to put in 11"+ cards in it. Plus I already own a Corsair HX750.

I've actually been drifting back over to a fat mini-tower, but I'm not totally set on either yet.

I was thinking if you took the NSK3480 and then added a 5.25" bay under the mobo and maintained the PSU position with the HDD mounts in front of it, you could do something very compact and effective.

I'm about to install a new F3 raid array for my main OS (got WD blacks and not happy with noise levels), as soon as I get that loaded tomorrow and get my CAD program reloaded, I'll try and draw up a mockup of what I'm talking about.

Shamgar

Re: What makes the "Ultimate" mATX case?

Post by Shamgar » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:20 pm

iandh wrote:I've ignored matx for some time, primarily due to the fact that truly top notch enthusiast matx boards were usually few and far between, and expensive to boot.

With the appearance of many good 785G and X58/P55 micro boards, and a new office layout that requires my PC to be on my desk, I've found myself drifting towards SFF again. I've picked up a Gigabyte P55 Micro and an i5... the problem is, every mATX case I've found sucks in one way or another. :cry:
Been in the same boat lately and know how you feel. Especially regarding your last comment. As someone with pretty high expectations from my money, I can't find that "ideal" product either. I have limited manual building skills so DIY is out of the question.

I know a lot of people here favour the NSK3480 as that somewhat "ideal" mini tower. I personally couldn't live with any of the NSK cases for home use. They are budget cases and they look and feel that way too. Maybe my expectations are too high whereas most people couldn't care less about the looks and feel of their cases as long as it "works". If your expectations are not as much as mine, they are good cases from a practical perspective. I doubt very much whether there will be significant updates to these cases, however.

The Mini P180 is a much better case in terms of looks and feel and construction but it has some major shortcomings IMO. There is no way to elegantly seal up the top exhaust (should have been an option for the entire P18x series), placement for optical drives is poor and there is no option to install a fan in front of HDD compartment. The last especially is a dealbreaker for me. Besides, it is quite heavy for a mATX tower.

Having a smaller case may look nicer and convenient for placement in an office, study etc, but mATX is just so cramped and frustrating. It's hard to make that "ideal" mini tower to satisfy everyone's requirements. If you are capable, DIY seems like the way to go.

nutball
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by nutball » Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:45 pm

iandh wrote:The problem with the NSK3480 is the insanely cramped upper compartment.
This is true, it could be better.
The best high quality and quiet PSU I've seen that will fit up there is something like the Corsair VX450, which just isn't enough for my needs. It's close, but not quite.
The Nexus 430 will fit too.
I'd like the ability to put in a board like the P55 micro and run dual 5850's.
To be honest I think you're going to struggle to get anything close to quiet with dual 5850s and that Gigabyte board. Replacing the stock 5850 cooler is mandatory IMO, it's just not quiet. Then you have to worry about whether there's space "below" the lower PCI-E slot on that board. It's too close to the edge of the board for a three slot cooler. Even in a cube case you'll need space around the edge of the motherboard.
I was thinking if you took the NSK3480 and then added a 5.25" bay under the mobo and maintained the PSU position with the HDD mounts in front of it, you could do something very compact and effective.
I'm modding one up currently to take an SSD + slim-line optical + 3.5" suspended drive in the upper chamber. I'm planning an i5 + Gigabyte P55 UD4 + single 5850 as the other major parts, not unlike your own spec.

I'm also going to do something about the aesthetics of the case :)

I agree though if you want more than one 3.5" drive the NSK3480 isn't ideal.

iandh

Post by iandh » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:58 pm

I went ahead and picked up an NSK3480, I also found a PERFECT psu for this application, just thought I'd give you a heads up since you are also thinking 5850:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product

-It's a Seasonic
-Quiet
-Short
-Not too many cables, but has two PCI-E connectors
-Fairly cheap
-Bare steel finish matches the NSK (yes I'm OCD like that :D)

I went ahead and sold my HX750 so between the new PSU and case I broke even.

I LOVE this case... I remember having the NSK3300 right after it came out. I had modded it to take ATX PSU's, it was a GREAT case. I've always missed it and am really happy to have it back (in a way).

There's one set of silicone mounts in top, and one in bottom, so it worked out perfect to hold my Samsung F3 raid 0 pair.

For now I'm going to stick with single card. I never really like Crossfire/SLI that much anyways TBH.

Shamgar wrote:
iandh wrote:I've ignored matx for some time, primarily due to the fact that truly top notch enthusiast matx boards were usually few and far between, and expensive to boot.

Been in the same boat lately and know how you feel. Especially regarding your last comment. As someone with pretty high expectations from my money, I can't find that "ideal" product either. I have limited manual building skills so DIY is out of the question.

I know a lot of people here favour the NSK3480 as that somewhat "ideal" mini tower. I personally couldn't live with any of the NSK cases for home use. They are budget cases and they look and feel that way too. Maybe my expectations are too high whereas most people couldn't care less about the looks and feel of their cases as long as it "works". If your expectations are not as much as mine, they are good cases from a practical perspective. I doubt very much whether there will be significant updates to these cases, however.

The Mini P180 is a much better case in terms of looks and feel and construction but it has some major shortcomings IMO. There is no way to elegantly seal up the top exhaust (should have been an option for the entire P18x series), placement for optical drives is poor and there is no option to install a fan in front of HDD compartment. The last especially is a dealbreaker for me. Besides, it is quite heavy for a mATX tower.

Having a smaller case may look nicer and convenient for placement in an office, study etc, but mATX is just so cramped and frustrating. It's hard to make that "ideal" mini tower to satisfy everyone's requirements. If you are capable, DIY seems like the way to go.
I do feel the same way about the front of the NSK3480, but the actual body/panels of the case are very sturdy and reasonably good fit/finish. I think if I make a new front clip for it, it'll be quite satisfactory at least until I can figure out what I want to do.

I agree with you on the weight, all loaded up with the parts I'm running, this tiny case feels like a ton of bricks. :P

test42

Post by test42 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:06 pm

I just finished up a new mATX build last week which may provide some useful information for you. My priorities were a little different from yours and cost was a consideration:
• Minimum foot print, preferably both the LCD and PC on the desktop.
• Very quite operation (does not have to be totally silent since the room it is in normally has some background noise).
• Needs to have reasonable performance to speed up video processing and Flight Simulator X.
• Reasonably low cost ($600 target, actual $627), maximum reuse of current parts.
• As cool as possible for long term reliability and over-clocking potential.

I decided on the mATX mid tower format for the following reasons:
• I have a Dell 27-inch LCD andif I set it on top of a horizontal case would be too high (I tried my wife’s 24â€

diver

Post by diver » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:07 am

IMO, the NSK3480 is very good to nearly perfect. It would be nice if Antec sold it without the PSU, and they cut a hole in the upper chamber to stuff the extra wires down the back, but that's about it.