ATX alternative to Antec NSK2480 for HTPC

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

What are my options?

There is a case - its been recommended in the replies
No votes
There isn't a case - but you can mod the NSK2480
No votes
There isn't a case and modding the 2480 is a tough job - settle for something boxy
100%

Total votes: 2

JonScaife

ATX alternative to Antec NSK2480 for HTPC

Post by JonScaife » Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:59 pm

Hi folks,

Am after opinions on a case for a HTPC. I really like the look of the slim desktop type HTPC cases (e.g. the Lian-Li PC-C39, CoolerMaster Media 260, Antek NSK2480, Silverstone Milo series and LC11).

The problem with most of these cases however is that they're too slim for full-height expansion cards without using a riser.

The Antek NSK2480 is still visually pleasing, and slim, whilst being just tall enough to accommodate full-height cards. However it is only uATX.

Is anyone aware of any cases out there similar in shape and size to the NSK2480 that will accept a full ATX motherboard and provide more than 4 full height expansion slots?

I know there are plenty of slightly larger, boxier cases which look more like classic desktop cases, but I'd like to stay as slim as the NSK2480 (140mm). Cases like the Silverstone LC17 look too boxy thanks to the extra height and decreased width (170mm high, 425mm wide compared to the 2480's 445mm)

I'm not too worried about number of drive bays (altho 2 5.25" would be ideal). Colour doesn't matter. VFD/TFT/Remote type accessories don't matter. Price isn't really an issue within reason.

If you don't know of any then my final question is - how feasible do you think it would be to totally rework the NSK2480 to take full-atx as a DIY job?

Cheers :?:

aztec

Post by aztec » Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:37 pm

have you checked out the Silverstone GD04?

Crim

Post by Crim » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:05 am

Any reason in particular for an ATX case?

JonScaife

Post by JonScaife » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:26 am

aztec wrote:have you checked out the Silverstone GD04?
No, I hadn't spotted it - cheers! It's by far the best candidate I've seen.
Crim wrote:Any reason in particular for an ATX case?
Various reasons... Mainly that I have a freeview PCI-E card, a freesat PCI card, a Leadtek analogue PCI card, an Audigy PCI card and a HD3850 PCI-E card with fanless cooler that takes a second slot. So 6 slots worth of cards already. Ideally I'd like the flexibility to use them all. Whilst I might get rid of the audigy, I'd like to replace it with a high-quality soundcard like the X-Fi. And I might ditch the analogue card but I'd like a second freesat card. Generally I just find 4 slots is a bit limiting. I also tend to use old parts in my HTPC and the next time I upgrade my desktop PC the old parts will include an ATX mobo I'd like to use.

Eventually an ideal situation would be a full set of low profile cards and a low profile case with full-atx support, but the choice of low profile cards is just a bit limited at the moment and I'm not ready to splash out to replace all the cards I already have which are full-height.

Cheers for your input guys :)

JamieG

Post by JamieG » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:26 pm

JonScaife wrote:
aztec wrote:have you checked out the Silverstone GD04?
No, I hadn't spotted it - cheers! It's by far the best candidate I've seen.
Silverstone GD04 is mATX only as well.

http://www.silverstonetek.com/products/ ... 4&area=usa

boost

Post by boost » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:33 am

I can think of two cases that could meet your criteria, both are expensive HTPC centric aluminum cases:

Zalman HD 135: Height is listed as 135mm but that is obviously wrong. The PSU is mounted vertically, so it must be a little over 150mm. It looks smaller because the rest of the components are raise above ground level by the feet. Fits one optical and five hard drives.
http://www.zalman.co.kr/ENG/product/Pro ... sp?idx=191

Chieftec Hi-Fi HM-02: Uniqueinternal layout. Fits one optical and two hard drives with rubber mounts.
http://www.chieftec.eu/index.php?option ... 84&lang=EN