[ok] Best Case for my silent pc ?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Anton360

[ok] Best Case for my silent pc ?

Post by Anton360 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:38 am

Hello :),

I 'd like to buy a new PC.
It will be used for office stuff, photo and Photoshop (just a little bit !) and videos. But not to play video games (never) !
I 've choosen the most part of it but I'm still really not sure about the case.
I want the most silent PC of course ;-) !

Is the P183 the most silent Case ? If not, wich one is the most please ?

Here is what I 'd like to put in my case :
- Antec Performance One P183
- Seasonic M12II SS-430GM - 430W ATX 12V v2.2 / EPS or a Be Quiet Straight Power 400 watts or even a FANLESS Fortron Zen ??
- Gigabyte GA-MA785GT-UD3H (chipset ATI Radeon HD 4200)
- AMD Phenom II X4 955
- Scythe KATANA 3 (Socket 478/754/775/1366/939/940/AM2/AM2+/AM3)
- Kingston SSDNow V-Series Desktop Kit 64Go
- GSkill RH Series RipJaws 2x2Go DDR3-SDRAM PC3 10666
- DVD/blueray

If you have any suggestions of improvement, please tell me, I'd be happy to hear it :).

Have a nice WE !
Last edited by Anton360 on Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

KadazanPL

Post by KadazanPL » Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:50 am

This is a very powerful processor, which will probably just sit idling in your case. You could probably save some coin here, as this is intended to be an office machine.

Other thoughts:
- P183 is a very large case. You could go mATX here, so Antec NSK3480 would suffice (some other mobo needed though). If you still want an ATX case, Antec Solo is the better choice in terms of silence and size.
- I would advise against BeQuiet PSUs. They are indeed very quiet, but poor quality. One of them almost fried my computer not so long ago. You might consider Nexus Eco 430W PSU as an alternative to that Seasonic.
- You haven't mentioned any additional fans. If you go SOLO, you'd need a case fan quieter than stock Tri-Cool. I'd recommend a Nexus Real Silent or Scythe Slipstream/Gentle Typhoon/S-Flex.
- I guess you'll need more storage than provided by that Kingston SSD. Samsung F2 500GB or 1TB suspended in Antec Solo are VERY quiet.

Thomas

Post by Thomas » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:08 pm

I agree with KadazanPL, though I would like to add a few more things:

I'd go with the Ninja, instead of the Katana 3. I had the Katana 1, it's good, but the Ninja is better and not much more expensive. And a 12 cm fan IS very quiet. I havent heard a Kat3, but the first edition was actually quite noisy.

Depending on how much you'll edit photos, and which programs you're gonna use, I'd use a multiple disk set up. I'm not good at PhotoShop, but I know it has it's own scratchfile (similiar to Microsoft Win XX's swapfile), and it's a good iead to place the scratchfile on another disk, than the OS.

I'm using Nikon CaptureNX for editing photos, and 60-80 MB temp files is normal. So a slow disk is bad...

So I'd combine a SSD with one of the HDD's mentioned by KadazanPL.

AS far as CPU goes, it really depends a lot on how much photo editing you're looking into. Personally, my AMD 4850e X2 is a bit on the low end. I THINK an Athlon II X4 630 would be a very nice upgrade in my case. Since you write "a little photoshop", it might do the trick.

According to this Adobe benchmark: http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/sh ... i=3638&p=3
there shouldnt be much difference between a 630 and a 955.

But I think the 630 both will be cheaper and run cooler = more quiet.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/sh ... i=3638&p=9

Please keep in mind that I dont use PhotoShop, nor those processors :wink: - others will hopefully chime in here 8)

Oh, and dont forget to underclock - makes the CPU cooling quiter with a reasonable amount of work.

Anton360

Re: Best Case for my silent pc ?

Post by Anton360 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:35 am

Thanks for your first answers !
I updated my PC configuration :

100€ - Antec Solo
WITH 2 Noctua NF-S12 800 (not 1200) ?? (very silencious according to a french article) Are they "fit" to replace the noisy Antec Solo fans ??
080€ - Nexus PSU are not available in Paris :(. What do you think of Corsair 650W CMPSU-650TX ? Another one is more silencious ? Is "HX" serie more silencious that "TX" ??
085€ - Gigabyte GA-MA785GT-UD3H (chipset ATI Radeon HD 4200)
160€ - AMD Phenom II X4 955
060€ - Noctua NH-U12P (processor)
180€ - Kingston SSDNow V-Series Desktop Kit 64Go -> This capacity is enough. I actually use only 50Go. But I tough to put my old HDD in this new PC because SSD is not good for all operations (specially photos, ...). I will probably change SSD model (this one seems to have problems)
100€ - GSkill RH Series RipJaws 2x2Go DDR3-SDRAM PC3 10666
050€ - DVD/blueray
TOTAL : 800€

What do you think about these elements :) ?

JamieG

Post by JamieG » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:34 pm

Case - for a quiet/lower power system, I think the Antec Solo is a better choice for you, so good call.

Case fans
- Nexus or Scythe fans are usually the best but Noctua will be ok if you can't find them.

PSU - Corsair PSU's are generally pretty decent, but it can depend on who the manufacturer that Corsair uses is. You don't need anywhere near that wattage though. 400W would be enough for your system. If you don't need a modular PSU, have a look at the Corsair CX400W or VX450W. Enermax also make quiet lower wattage PSUs.

CPU cooler - the Noctua is a decent cooler. Also have a look at the Scythe Mugen 2, which I think mounts the correct way on AMD motherboards and comes with a pretty good stock fan as well.

SSD - I don't think this SSD is all that great. I would stay away from any SSD that is not from Intel or does not have an Indilinx controller in it (OCZ Vertex series, Patriot Torqx series - use Google to find more).

You might need a storage HDD as well for extra space - Samsung F3 series would be good for performance, and Samsung EcoGreen F2 or WD Green series would be good for quiet storage.

Otherwise, looks pretty good. You have a fairly powerful CPU but if you do some photoshop and video stuff you may use it.

Anton360

Post by Anton360 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:04 am

Thanks for you answer (with a very nice presentation :) ).

Case : Antec Solo is now validated :) !

Case fans : According to this slientpcreviex page, the Scythe S-Flex SFF21D and the Noctua NF-S12-800 seem to have about the same performances but for the Scythe, this page note that "Some people have commented that the lowest speed model has a trace of ticking that is absent in higher speed models. Our own testing confirms this.". So, I think I will take the Noctua for that reason (I think I just need a low speed model for my pc and it's more silent)
Nb : Unfortunatly, it seems that Nexus is not sold in Paris, at least in the "pc stores" ( http://www.rue-montgallet.com/prix/comp ... ,118,1,1,1 ).

PSU : Corsair 450W HX (modular, I think I will take this one) or VX (non-modular). Do I have to take the modular one for more silent and to make the fans work great ? http://www.silentpcreview.com/Recommended_PSUs recommands this one. For information, http://www.pcworld.fr/article/comparati ... ats/94671/ is a huge test review for PSU (in french but with data table :) ).

CPU cooler : Scythe Mugen 2 seems good (and huge ;-) ), but do you have a test that claim that it is more silent thant Noactua NH-U12P please ? This page says that Noactua is less noisy : http://www.caseandcooling.fr/refroidiss ... 7?start=22

SSD : I just need 50Go, but I will choose an other brand than Kingstone. In a first time I will put my old HDD in my new pc (SSD+HDD), to stock all my photos and videos (to not decrease SSD perf. and shut my SSD down a fex months later...).

Thanks for your answers :).

Cistron

Post by Cistron » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:44 am

JamieG wrote:SSD - I don't think this SSD is all that great. I would stay away from any SSD that is not from Intel or does not have an Indilinx controller in it (OCZ Vertex series, Patriot Torqx series - use Google to find more).
Well, the 40GB version of the Kingston SSD is actually a rebranded Intel drive, with half the flash chips, without trim function and consequently slower sequential transfer rates and slightly slower random access.

JamieG

Post by JamieG » Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:18 pm

Cistron wrote:
JamieG wrote:SSD - I don't think this SSD is all that great. I would stay away from any SSD that is not from Intel or does not have an Indilinx controller in it (OCZ Vertex series, Patriot Torqx series - use Google to find more).
Well, the 40GB version of the Kingston SSD is actually a rebranded Intel drive, with half the flash chips, without trim function and consequently slower sequential transfer rates and slightly slower random access.
The OP is getting Kingston's second-generation 64GB drive.

From http://www.trustedreviews.com/storage/r ... es-64GB/p1:
Unlike Kingston's first generation of SSDs, which were rebranded versions of Intel's range, the SSDNow Series are Kingston's own. They're available in 64GB and 128GB capacities and desktop and notebook kits or just stand alone.

*snip*

The drive itself uses a tweaked JMicron 602 controller that has 64KB of cache (as opposed to the version used by the OCZ Apex which has 16KB of cache and suffered from severe stuttering issues). The memory chips themselves use MLC technology to store their data so this isn't going to be the fastest drive on the planet but then, that's what the V stands for; value.
While the review I linked to seems to show the Kingston SSD in a better light than its 602 JMicron controller would suggest, I'm still wary of recommending anything based on one of these controllers. Hence my comments above about Indilinx controllers or Intel SSDs only.

@Anton360:

Some people here have mentioned that the HX 450 may be noisier than other models in Corsair's HX series. Do a forum search and see what you find.

I have the VX450 in my HTPC and it is fairly quiet, but is probably the second noisiest component in there, after my old Seagate Barracuda IV HDD.

SPCR reviews of the two heatsinks you mentioned:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article961-page5.html
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article850-page5.html

I don't think the noise levels are directly comparable, however, as the Noctua test appears to have been done on a previous version of SPCR's test equipment before SPCR started using the anechoic chamber. It is the same test system though, and you can see by comparing the reference fan results (which is the same fan) that the coolers perform almost identically.

Based on this, I don't think it really matters which of the two heatsinks you go for. Best of luck with your build!

ThaArtist

Post by ThaArtist » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:58 pm

I haven't used Noctua but I have 2 120mm Scythe fans and I love them! Not sure if these are considered low RPM but they dont click and I cant even hear em.

One is the Scythe 120mm "Slipstream"
Bearing Type Sleeve
RPM 800 RPM
Air Flow 40.17CFM
Noise Level 10.70 dBA

And the other is Scythe S-FLEX 120mm
Bearing Type S-FDB (Fluid Dynamic Bearing by SONY Corporation)
RPM 800 RPM
Air Flow 33.5 CFM
Noise Level 8.7 dBA

Anton360

Post by Anton360 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:43 am

Thanks for your comments !
I will think about a new SSD and PSU...

Have a nice WE :) !

085€ - Antec Solo
040€ - 2 Noctua NF-S12B FLX (@900)
050€ - Corsair 450W VX ..
085€ - Gigabyte GA-MA785GT-UD3H (chipset ATI Radeon HD 4200)
140€ - AMD Phenom II X4 955
045€ - Mugen 2 (processor)
200€ - SSD 64Go ..
100€ - GSkill RH Series RipJaws 2x2Go DDR3-SDRAM PC3 10666
050€ - DVD/blueray
130€ - Windows 7 Pro OEM 64 Bits
TOTAL : 900€

veyd

Post by veyd » Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:27 am

Unless you want the Noctua S12B for its looks or its accessories, get Scythe Sliptreams instead.

While the S12B isn't a bad fan, in my experience the Slipstream is better. At half the price, the Slipstream is of far greater value.

As to your other components, I think the 955 is overpowered. Assuming that by "used for [...] videos" you mean watch --not author-- videos, an X2 240, 245, 250 will be more than fine, and knock about 80€ off the price. Also, RAM is expensive right now. For a little photoshop and on Win7, you don't need 4GB.

PSU (yet another possibility): Seasonic S12II 380 was reviewed, and seems available

SSD: AnandTech tells you what to get depending on your budget.

veyd

Post by veyd » Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:46 am

Oh, since this is in the cases and damping section:

The solo is a great choice. But if you go all SSD and without a graphics card, you would be well served with an NSK3480. Of course, that'd mean switching your motherboard for a microATX version, but there's plenty of those.

Anton360

Post by Anton360 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:02 am

I bough my PC. Thanks for all your help :) !

outbackyak

Post by outbackyak » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:04 pm

Anton360 wrote:I bough my PC. Thanks for all your help :) !
What specification did you end up getting, Anton360? And how do you find it for silence and performance?

Cheers!

Anton360

Post by Anton360 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:38 am

I didn't find all pieces I wanted. So I finally take this !

Antec P183 (no more Solo in all new tech borough in Paris :( )
2 Noctua NF-S12B FLX (@900 with LNA). Finaly only 1 is on. The other one is useless for now.
Corsair 450W VX
Gigabyte GA-MA785GT-UD3H (chipset ATI Radeon HD 4200)
AMD Phenom II X4 965
Noctua NH-U12P
SSD OCZ Vertex Turbo 64Go (what a huge difference with HDD :o !!! But you need a 2nd traditionnal HDD to put your temp files, because SSD life is short !)
GSkill RH Series RipJaws 2x2Go DDR3-SDRAM PC3 10666
DVD/blueray Samsung
Windows 7 Home OEM 64 Bits
TOTAL : ~1000€

This work very quickly of course, and this is quite silent : there is only a smooth little windy noise :). So, I 'm happy about my new PC !