NSK 3480 case - Do you use the CPU side panel duct?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Do you use the CPU side panel duct on the Antec NSK 3480 case?

Yes
6%
No, I remove the duct
19%
No, I remove the duct and seal the holes in the side pannel
75%

Total votes: 16

northbear

NSK 3480 case - Do you use the CPU side panel duct?

Post by northbear » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:16 am

I just purchased the Antec NSK 3480 case and was curious if most people use the supplied CPU side panel duct.

If you could give the reason why that would also be helpful.

Picture of the duct from the review here:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/files/ima ... alduct.jpg

Thanks!!

didi

Post by didi » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:16 am

Don't use it.
Actually I switched the side panels. Less inside noise escaping. Plus left side faces me, so no ugly grate.
I plan to seal the grate eventually, or - as an alternative - switch the vented sidepanel with a normal one (if I can find one).

Zenphic
Friend of SPCR

Post by Zenphic » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:32 pm

didi wrote:Don't use it.
Actually I switched the side panels. Less inside noise escaping. Plus left side faces me, so no ugly grate.
Same here.

If anyone is interested, here's my build with the NSK3480 and switched panels: viewtopic.php?p=438076#438076

JamieG

Post by JamieG » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:12 pm

The thermal duct is really only of any possible use if you are using the stock CPU cooler or another blow down after market cooler.

As the other posters noted, it allows noise to escape though, and may be of dubious thermal benefit anyway. I don't think its really recommended to use it.

northbear

Post by northbear » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:51 pm

JamieG wrote:The thermal duct is really only of any possible use if you are using the stock CPU cooler or another blow down after market cooler.
Just for more information, I am going to start with the stock cooler but I want any replacement CPU cooler to be a blow down variation as the motherboard I purchased has (some) reports of high chip-set temperatures if you do not have any air blowing over it.

baconandeggs

Post by baconandeggs » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:21 am

nope don't use it. i switched the panel with the holes to the other side.

see sig.

northbear

Post by northbear » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:04 pm

So far no one uses the duct!?! Begs the questions on why it is there? Sounds like people here don't like the sound escaping "feature", correct? Do most people uses a large / tower heat-sink and so it doesn't work anyways?

Confuses me on why they would add a feature that has no benefit. Just to comply with the Intel standard? If it has no benefit why does Intel want this venting?

Bit confused here :oops:

ThaArtist

Post by ThaArtist » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:54 pm

No, I remove the duct and seal the holes in the side pannel

Is how I voted, cause that's how all the big boys do it my mom told me.

But seriously, I had CPU duct holes and more regular air flow holes underneath. I covered them both with some dark gray anti-static film and then put thermaltake sound dempening foam over them. (applied a whole sheet to that panel.)

Yeahhhhh boyeeeee... highest my cpu has ever been recorded so far was playing games like Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 at like 51C

120mm fan on the front 120mm fan on the back and im stacked like a G!

diver

Post by diver » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:44 pm

The side panel duct is not in the right place for all motherboards. In particular, all of the new socket 1156 mobos have the cpu socket further away and towards the bottom of the case than the location of the side panel duct, even if you are using a stock or blow down cooler. It sure does not help with a tower cooler. I suspect this feature generally will go away as the realization that Intel is happy to move the CPU socket around sinks in. If it were up to me, I would put a vent in the side panel somewhere near the rear bottom of the case to let air in over the hard drive and in front of the video card.

Shobai

Post by Shobai » Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:05 am

voted 'no and...', like the majority i swapped panels over