Case mod for P183

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

b_bds

Case mod for P183

Post by b_bds » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:06 am

Hi

I've been looking around the net to find the best way to minimize the sound on my new P183. Since I loved my P180 I just decided to buy a P183 and do some minor mods to bring it closer to silent pc.

First the specs :
- ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
- i7-860
- 4Gb 2x2Gb DDR-1333 OCZ3P1333LV4GK
- 2 x Seagate 320 Go ST3320418AS
- 1 x AD-7240S
- 1 x HD5770 vapor-x
- 1 x P183
- 1 x CP-850

I have two questions :
1- what should I use to replace the fans on the case ? and should I add more fans (going from 2 to 4 or even 5?)
2- Should I change the cpu cooling unit so it's more efficient and produces less noise?

For the fans I've heard good thing about S-Flex but don't know if it's ok for my setup. Correct me if I'm wrong but more fans at a lower speed will be better than 2 fans at a higher speed. So that's why I was considering buying more fans for my P183.

As for the cpu cooling, Magahalems could be good but don't know if it will fit in the case since it looks so massive. It may be overkill but I think it would work as a heatsink so the fan that will be installed with it (which one?)will have to work less.

Thank you very much for you help
Bruno

P.S. I'm thinking on removing the metal grid on the two front intakes and remove the remaining metal outline on the top fan to maximize the air flow.

JamieG

Post by JamieG » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:30 pm

I'm thinking of rebuilding my P182 gaming system with something very similar - either i7 860 / P55 mobo or i7 920 / X58 mobo with a Megahalem CPU cooler + 5870.

My current fans for my X38 / C2D 6850 are a Slipstream 1200rpm at 5V as front middle intake, a Nexus Real Silent 120mm at around 7V to 9V as rear exhaust, a Scythe S-Flex E 1200rpm at 5V to 7V as top exhaust and a Nexus Real Silent 92mm on my CPU cooler. My single HDD is in the lower cage with my PSU, which is enough to keep that HDD cool without a fan.

My plan for case and CPU fans for my upgrade (keeping most of my current fans in place) is something like this:

- Scythe Kama Server fan controller in semi-auto mode to automatically turn my fans up when gaming (4 x fan headers)
- 2 x Nexus Real Silent 120mm in push/pull on the Megahalems - connected to fan controller
- Nexus Real Silent as rear exhaust (may be replaced by Scythe Kama PWM on CPU_FAN header if I connect each of the CPU fans separately to the fan controller)
- Scythe S-Flex E as top exhaust - connected to fan controller
- Scythe Slipstream 1200rpm as front middle intake - connected to fan controller (may be swapped for a Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1150rpm fan, as the Slipstream gets a bit loud at higher rpm for my taste)

If your aim is to have a quiet gaming system, more fans at lower rpm is definitely better than a smaller number of fans at higher rpms.

From my experience, 3 x case fans in the P18x series is all that you will need. Add 1 - 2 CPU fans as well - SPCR tests have shown 2 fans at low rpm in push/pull on CPU heatsinks performs really well.

Something like this would be good for you:
- Nexus or Slipstream fans for vertical case fans (front intake and rear exhaust)
- S-Flex fans for horizontal case fans (top exhaust), as the other fans have sleeve bearings which is apparently bad for horizontal mounting
- S-Flex or Nexus fans for CPU coolers

Pick lower rpm variants if you don't intend to have a fan controller, or slightly higher rpm variants if you plan for using a fan controller, so that you can turn the fans down at idle and up while gaming.

My $0.02 anyway - hope it helps!

maalitehdas

Post by maalitehdas » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:35 pm

1- what should I use to replace the fans on the case ? and should I add more fans (going from 2 to 4 or even 5?)
GROUND rule: Make sure that air have a clear highway from intake(s) to outflow(s), passing all the hottest components (GPU heatsink, CPU heatsink, Northbridge heatsink). Filters and grills reduce airflow but they are needed to prevent dust and for security - make them as light as you need. Hide all wires from the highway. After that:
1. Meter your highest temperatures with 2 fans at max speed in several different positions. Run full load tests for at least 20mins each until you find the best locations for those two. I guess another one will be either under or in right side of your CPU heatsink.
2. If you're not close to max heat, lower fan speeds as low as possible with few more tests and move to section 3. If you reach too high temps, add 1 more fan for the hottest part. And one more again if that doesn't help. Remember to run tests long enough.
3. When you think you're satisfied, run one more test for 8 hours with full load and full fan speeds. If you're sleeping/away, set "automatic power off" by temperatures in your BIOS just in case if it goes too hot!
4. If you managed the 8 hours test, congratulations - you have just enough fans. Now enter BIOS and program a rule for each fan by your desired temperatures. Start another stress test. Write down your fan speeds in the moment when your desired (max) temperatures are reached and listen to your machine.
5. If you're still getting too much noise, find (from SPCR) exactly how much airflow your current fans with their current speeds were offering in the end of your 8h test. (your needed airflow minimum). Search the reviews for manufacturers who offer that same amount of airflow with lowest dB. Buy those.

2- Should I change the cpu cooling unit so it's more efficient and produces less noise?
If you have the knowledge and you find the fan, DO THAT!. After good work with other parts your PSU and HDD's will definitely be the noisiest parts in your system.

Good luck there!

meridius

Post by meridius » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:24 am

Hi mate just thought I post this as this is the system I am building and it might help

spec:

Antec P183 (3 x fans replaced with s-flex 1200rpm and fan contoller for front back and top)
Seasonic gold X 650W
P7P55D-E Pro
Intel i5 750 2.66
Prolimatech Megahalem (Using Arctic Cooling MX-3 + Gentle Typoon 1450rpm)
Corsair 4gb (2x2gb) XMS3 DDR3 pc3-12800(1600) cas 8-8-8-24 xmp
Shappire Vapor-x 5770
2x samsung 1tb F3 Hardrives
Pioneer dvd writer SATA
logitech illuminated keybaord and logitech mx518 mouse

I hope it helps because I am going for the most silent build I can as I hate noise from a system ask any questions if you need any help as I have done about 4 weeks worth of reviews.

b_bds

Post by b_bds » Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:27 pm

Hi

Thanks for the replies. What is your fan controller and what would be a good one if you're not satisfied with yours?

why did you choose the Gentle Typhoon 1450rpm and not a nexus for instance. and did you plug it on the MB or on your fan controller?

Thanks
Bruno

meridius

Post by meridius » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:36 pm

I bought the gentle typhoon because this fan has the very best air pressure to noise ratio, not only that I have read many reviews and have been told by alot of people that this fan is one of the best for cooling hs.

I have even seen reviews with these attached, the thing is cfm does not matter if the fan has a poor static preasure as u need high static preasure for hs to be able to push air through the small fins otherwise the hs will fight with the fan and reduce the air running throght it.

I have also been toled that the gts are a perfect match for this hs and u can get a dual fan push and pull to and get a 1800rpm versions but I am going to see what the 1450 is like first, trust me many say this is a fantastc hs fan.

I have not got the system yet it should be here in a couple of days ready to build, the fan controler I have not got yet as the asus motherboard can adjust them but I will see how good it can do that if not I will prob get he fan controler you said in your first post as this seems to one of the better ones

I will get back to u when I finish the case and pcs. Any other questions just ask

b_bds

Post by b_bds » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:02 am

Hi

Let me know how it comes out.. I'm gonna start buying my stuff but I'll wait for your reply to buy the fans and HS (since it's back order at NCIX)

I was wondering how you would plug all the fans on the MB since you can only plug 3 (CPU, CHA_FAN1, CHA_FAN2). Can you use the PWR_FAN?

Thanks
Bruno

b_bds

Post by b_bds » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:46 am

Hi

So any news on the built meridius?

Thanks