Questions about Antec Mini P-180....

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

capecodbackup

Questions about Antec Mini P-180....

Post by capecodbackup » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:43 pm

this looks like an extremely well built/designed case. With QUIET in mind too. I have 2 questions:

1. Has anyone removed or blocked off the top fan? And how? For my modest build I really think i will not need that fan.

2. Will my brand new Nexus R5300 PSU work in it? It has the large fan on top or bottom, depending on which way it is mounted. Would there be enough space at the top of the PSU chamber to allow enough airflow to keep the fan spinning slowly and still give good cooling?

I really like the damping of the panels on this case. And general overall quality.

Thanks, Dave

BillyBuerger
Patron of SPCR

Post by BillyBuerger » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:49 pm

1. Yes, I've done this with both mini-P180s I've bought. I just cut out a piece of heavy corrugated cardboard in the same shape as the fan. The same screws that hold the fan in place hold the cardboard. Might not be the best for sound deadening or anything but it works. Actually, for my white mini-P180, I used the cardboard from the box it came it. Just found a part that was solid white without any graphics on it.

2. Yes, it's built to work with 120mm fans. You mount it with the fan on the top blowing down. There's enough clearance there to not cause any problems.

capecodbackup

Post by capecodbackup » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:24 pm

Got it. Thanks. I knew someone would have the answer :)

I have a factor that actually no others may have to recon with. My cat likes to hang on top of my computer which I keep on the desk. An important factor in my decision that others may never have is will my cat be reasonable comfortable like she currently is on my Optiplex.

Heck, if she LIKES the fan blowing warm air, and I can hack the sound, then that is fine :)

So, I would just have to be as creative as possible when mounting any thing other than the fan on the P-180 mini :)

I would like to have my decision on the case by tonight, and it looks like it is down to these 2. SOLO or Mini P-180. Drumroll please.

Mini has Esata on front, SOLO has no hole on top to deal with. Decisions.

ces

Lian Li PC-A05NB

Post by ces » Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:59 pm

Take a look at the Lian Li PC-A05NB. It's more compact, yet has m or capacity:
Mini-180: 17.20" x 8.30" x 17.10"
Lian Li PC-A05NB: 19.29" x 8.27" x 15.00"
It can take both AXT and uATX boards
It has better hard drive mountings
It is a much more elegant design

It will not have any problem with the PSU you want. It should be able to handle any CPU cooler... probably even the Orochi. It should be able to take a bigger video card.

It costs about the same price but is built with aluminum. If you want a 140mm blow hole on the top, PerforancePCs.com I think sells a top like that for about $30.

capecodbackup

Post by capecodbackup » Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:51 pm

thanks for the excellent suggestions. I must admit there are some tempting cases here:
http://www.lian-li.com.tw/v2/en/product ... s_index=63

I am still leaning towards the SOLO. I have this feeling Antec will be soon coming out with a kick ass case that I will actually want so much I will move to it :)

But for what is out now, I am thinking SOLO will do the job for me.

Sure is ugly though compared to those Lian-li's :)

The saga has ended. I have ordered the SOLO. Which pretty much means that tomorrow Antec is going to announce their newest case :)

ces

Post by ces » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:28 pm

The solo is a good case. Nothing to regret unless they upgrade is with USB 3 connectors.

capecodbackup

Post by capecodbackup » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:02 pm

yes, I am super happy with the case. USB 3.0 in back off motherboard. No USB 3.0 drives to try it out yet :)