A proper NAS case: Fractal Design - Array Mini ITX

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

sunefred

A proper NAS case: Fractal Design - Array Mini ITX

Post by sunefred » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:11 pm

Fractal Design is following up the Define R2 with a second and very different case. The Array Mini ITX is a case specifically for the DIY NAS market and a welcome one as far as I am concerned. I dare say it doesnt really have any direct competitors, atleast not any good ones for the silent crowd. The only one I can think of is the upcoming Lian-Li PC-Q08. It remains to be seen how well it performs, but atleast it looks cool. A few random thoughts, hopefully we will se a review soon:

Fractal Design Array Mini ITX

+ Small and sleek, good looking
+ Room for six 3.5 inch HDD and one 2.5
+ Simple cooling, front->back, one 140mm fan and dust filters
+ No DVD slot!
- No enhanced cable routing
- No room for tower coolers
? Quality of build in 300W PSU
? Sound dampening
? Length of PSU cables, modular?

The design is a bottom mounted motherboard and a top mounted PSU. I would have preferred a more traditional design to allow for cable routing, but I am sure this will be good regardless. Pictures:

ces

Post by ces » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:35 pm

Where do the components go inside?

Where is the 140mm fan?

Where does the air come in? Where does it go out?

cordis

huh

Post by cordis » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:35 pm

So the only fan is in the psu? Interesting, it would put an upper limit on how powerful your system could be. I'm a little worried that the hard drives don't seem to have any airflow coming through them. That's a little strange. An ideal mini-itx server, for me, would be a case with drive suspension, quiet low-speed airflow over the drives, and some nominal cooling for the motherboard. This case might work if you get all green drives for it and a very low power processor, but it seems a little limiting to me. Looks nice, though.

Edit: Oh, didn't see the note about the 140mm fan, but yeah, where is that? Doesn't seem like there's room for one in the pictures. Maybe under the drive cage? A pic would help.

merlin
Friend of SPCR

Post by merlin » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:59 pm

Hmm, for a moment I thought this was actually a lot smaller than the Lian Li PC-Q08, but it's actually slightly wider, slightly deeper, and moderately shorter. I guess the main difference in the cases is the accidental space for an optical drive which also adds space for a full size psu. It looks like the Lian Li is going to go for around $110-120 retail. I wonder if this can be comparable or slightly higher for including a PSU. (Which unfortunately seems to have a semi-low 216W on 12v although I'm doubtful anyone will go above that with a Mini-ITX board).

bozar

Post by bozar » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:15 pm

Guys please, everything you want to know is already in the text as well as the picture. You clearly see the fan in the front which blows backward into the case just as the text tells you.

Tephras

Post by Tephras » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:11 pm

This case is reminiscent of the Silverstone Sugo SG06, though the latter doesn't have room for that many hard drives due to it's smaller size. I think these two cases might have the same PSU from Fortron-Source, the max load specifications are identical.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:47 pm

I wonder if the drive rack easily removable? so a single 2.5 hdd could be suspended and also maximize airflow...

JamieG

Post by JamieG » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:31 pm

xan_user wrote:I wonder if the drive rack easily removable? so a single 2.5 hdd could be suspended and also maximize airflow...
In the second picture, it looks like there are screws on the right hand side of the case near the top - these could be holding the HDD cage in place. So it looks like the HDD cage could be removable.

With dimensions of 230x223x350mm (WxHxD), you could easily fit a tower heatsink in there with room to space if you removed the PSU and swapped it for a picoPSU or similar.

The 140mm fan looks like it is in an odd position, blowing air from the front where there is no intake vent, instead of being position deeper into the case behind the vented side intakes. I can't see where it is sucking intake air from.

I like the clean looks, but I question some of the implementation.

funklizard

Post by funklizard » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:13 pm

merlin wrote:Hmm, for a moment I thought this was actually a lot smaller than the Lian Li PC-Q08, but it's actually slightly wider, slightly deeper, and moderately shorter.
Umm...

Array: 230x223x350mm
Q-08: 279x333x407mm

The Array is a little narrower, a lot shorter, and a little less deep.

Tephras

Post by Tephras » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:34 pm

xan_user wrote:I wonder if the drive rack easily removable? so a single 2.5 hdd could be suspended and also maximize airflow...
From the product homepage: Removable HDD cage for easy mounting

nightmorph

Post by nightmorph » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:52 pm

--
Last edited by nightmorph on Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ilovejedd

Post by ilovejedd » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:20 pm

funklizard wrote:Umm...

If you were installing your PC parts in the PC-Q08's packaging box, sure.

Actual case dimensions for the PC-Q08:
(W) 227mm x (H) 272mm x (D) 345mm
nightmorph wrote:This NAS case looks to be a good option, though it's a shame there's nothing on pricing or availability. That weird interactive "where to buy" map totally fails for me. Maybe there just aren't any North American retailers?
Quiet PC USA seems to carry Fractal Design products. I reckon they'll have this one too once it hits retail.

*sigh* This seems too big for me still. I think my only recourse is the reportedly loud Chenbro case.

funklizard

Post by funklizard » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:42 pm

ilovejedd wrote:

D'oh!

Whoops.

sunefred

Post by sunefred » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:02 pm

The 140mm fan looks like it is in an odd position, blowing air from the front where there is no intake vent, instead of being position deeper into the case behind the vented side intakes. I can't see where it is sucking intake air from.
It looks like there is about a 5mm clearance in front of the fan enabling it to take air from the narrow side vents, but how well does this work? It is also a mystery to me where the advertised wahsable dustfilters are positioned.

Another question that popped up is access. It looks to me that you access everything from the top, meaning you have to remove PSU and harddrive cage to install the motherboard. Not a big problem for this type of computer, but personally I l favor a more traditional design even if that means a slightly larger box.

Regarding availability, according to a Fractal representative on the sweclockers forum the case will be in stores within a week or two. Not sure if this is for Sweden only. Its listed at several swedish retailers for 1395 sek. What this translates to for US or other EU customers is hard to say. A simple conversion would mean $195 or €82.

iakovl

Post by iakovl » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:25 am

i'm in love...
i might wanted to do a 8 hdd nas with my perc raid card
but i can live with 6 hdd, i'll just move to 2 tera HDD

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Vicotnik » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:35 am

Beautiful! :D

HammerSandwich
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by HammerSandwich » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:43 am

IMO, a server case should allow easily changing a single failed HD. That looks tedious in this case.

merlin
Friend of SPCR

Post by merlin » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:21 pm

funklizard wrote:
ilovejedd wrote:

D'oh!

Whoops.
Lol thanks for replying before me. Ya you gotta watch out for the packaging specs. Anyways like I mentioned, the only advantage is less height. I feel like the Lian Li case is a better choice for flexibility, but we'll see with some actual reviews/info.

nord

Post by nord » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:56 pm

Thought you might be interested in a few more pictures. You'll have to excuse the bad lightning and the scratchy floor, but it might give you a clue or two whether it's a case for you.

http://www.workitsecurity.com/2010/03/2 ... se-review/

Going to get a motherboard next week and hopefully complete the build/move over the Easter weekend.

ilovejedd

Post by ilovejedd » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:30 pm

HammerSandwich wrote:IMO, a server case should allow easily changing a single failed HD. That looks tedious in this case.
*sigh* That's another consideration and one reason I got interested with the Chenbro ES34069 in the first place.

psyopper
Friend of SPCR

Post by psyopper » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:55 pm

It looks like a 120mm fan up front blowing through the hdd's. What I don't get is where the fan is getting air to blow over them?

merlin
Friend of SPCR

Post by merlin » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:49 pm

ilovejedd wrote:
HammerSandwich wrote:IMO, a server case should allow easily changing a single failed HD. That looks tedious in this case.
*sigh* That's another consideration and one reason I got interested with the Chenbro ES34069 in the first place.
Only problem is the Chenbro looks like it'll require more serious modding for a spcr user. The 70mm fans are terrible and the case is definitely more cramped to deal with. I do like the hot swap drives, but the combination of poor silencing design and cost kill it for me. The Lian Li looks like it'll be around $100 and I assume the fractal is gonna be around 150-175.

nord

Post by nord » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:29 pm

psyopper wrote:It looks like a 120mm fan up front blowing through the hdd's. What I don't get is where the fan is getting air to blow over them?
That's an 140mm fan up front, pushing air towards the rear of the case. The intake are at the front sides. You can see the opening supplying air to the fan in this picture:

nord

Post by nord » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:35 pm

6 screws for the top, 4 screws for the cage, and the entire cage has to be removed. Seen better, but not in this form factor with support for 6x3.5" + 1x2.5".

Wibla
Friend of SPCR

Post by Wibla » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:31 pm

Is it just me, or does it look like it recirculates some air?

Also swapping out drives in a nas appliance, meh, not a very big deal...

Coastie

Post by Coastie » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:04 pm

looks nice. Would like to know how well ventilation works when loaded with drives and operating.

nord

Post by nord » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:25 am

Coastie wrote:looks nice. Would like to know how well ventilation works when loaded with drives and operating.
I'll report back when my case is up and running with 6+1 disks and a quad cpu. Won't be until after the Easter though.

Nighthog

Post by Nighthog » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:38 am

No one notice the build design quirks and hints?

Doesn't it look like it's made by Lian Li somehow? Materials and design solutions etc?

It quite simply screams like a cheaper Lian Li.

I quite surely would bet that Fractal is ordering this from Lian Li factories to be made.

There is even a "Made in Taiwan" on a plastic bag on that link to a review.
The more I look it just blatant it's made by Lian Li for Fractal.

ces

Post by ces » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:29 am

Nighthog wrote:No one notice the build design quirks and hints?

Doesn't it look like it's made by Lian Li somehow? Materials and design solutions etc?

I quite surely would bet that Fractal is ordering this from Lian Li factories to be made.

I think you are right.

merlin
Friend of SPCR

Post by merlin » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:52 am

Nighthog wrote:No one notice the build design quirks and hints?

Having never owned a Lian Li, I have no idea if it's true or not. But that's pretty funny because that means Lian Li is kind of competing against themselves. The same thing happens often in the psu world.