Cosmos S

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

supersize

Cosmos S

Post by supersize » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:11 am

It isn't a very quiet case, and plus I had to take off the large side fan just to get my NOCTUA cpu cooler to fit inside it.

Can you recommend me a quieter case?

I've been reading about the Sonata and the P182, which one is quieter?

Also I think psu positioned on the bottom of the case is a HUGE disadvantage as the heat rises up and heats up my graphics cards, so annoyed about it.

ces

Re: Cosmos S

Post by ces » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:30 am

supersize wrote:It isn't a very quiet case, and plus I had to take off the large side fan just to get my NOCTUA cpu cooler to fit inside it.

Also I think psu positioned on the bottom of the case is a HUGE disadvantage as the heat rises up and heats up my graphics cards, so annoyed about it.
Don't rely on the case to provide quiet. It is one of the least important factors. Antec Solo and 0182 aren't bad. I think Zalman has some super cases (super expensive) that actually are pretty good, but do so with a limited thermal load - nothing you would use for gaming for instance.

The very quietest "case" is a long USB and long video cord attached to a computer in the next room.

nomoon

Post by nomoon » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:52 am

supersize wrote:Also I think psu positioned on the bottom of the case is a HUGE disadvantage as the heat rises up and heats up my graphics cards, so annoyed about it.
That really isn't an issue. Forced convection from the fans greatly overwhelms any thermal convection in a typical computer case. Unless the PSU is completely passive (without a fan), virtually all heat from the PSU will be blown out the back of the case anyway. For the P180/P182/P183 cases, the PSU is in a separate chamber, and is isolated from the part of the case that contains the motherboard.

Jason

BlackWhizz

Post by BlackWhizz » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:04 am

Well i'd go for a P182 because there is more space inside. Also that dualchamber design is genius!

cordis

Post by cordis » Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:53 pm

supersize wrote:It isn't a very quiet case, and plus I had to take off the large side fan just to get my NOCTUA cpu cooler to fit inside it.

Side fan? I have two Cosmos S cases, they have fans on the top, the back, the bottom, and an optional one for the hard drives, but none on the sides. Got any pics of this fan? Seeing as how I have a noctua nh-u12 in one and a prolimatech megahalens in the other, and I didn't have to remove any fans to put those in, I'm curious to hear about this troubling fan.

To be fair though, the fans that come with the cosmos S are pretty crappy, step one to quieting the case down is always to switch them out with quieter fans. As far as the psu goes, since there's a dedicated input for the psu and the output goes out the back, I don't see a lot of heat going getting carried into the graphics cards. If it bothers you, I suppose you could put some insulating foam over it. :?

ces

Post by ces » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:04 pm

cordis wrote: Side fan? I have two Cosmos S cases, they have fans on the top, the back, the bottom, and an optional one for the hard drives, but none on the sides. Got any pics of this fan?
Yes and made a similar bad buying decision with the Cosmos. It looked so good online. But mine has every kind of fan except a side fan.

I must say though that the coolermaster fans that came with mine seemed surprisingly quiet. I think they were all 1000 rpm fans.

cordis

not bad

Post by cordis » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:49 pm

Don't get me wrong, I've been pretty happy with my Cosmos S cases, they get to be a lot quieter with quiet fans. I had a gtx 295 and a gtx 275 along with a quad core, and it was quieter (and cooler) than my Fortress FT-02 with the same configuration. Of course, that could be because I had them both under a desk, so the fans blowing out the back of the cosmos might be more effective that the top fans of the fortress blowing up under the desk. And I do love the handles and the way they slide over carpet.

ces

Re: not bad

Post by ces » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:55 pm

cordis wrote:Don't get me wrong, I've been pretty happy with my Cosmos S cases, they get to be a lot quieter with quiet fans. I had a gtx 295 and a gtx 275 along with a quad core, and it was quieter (and cooler) than my Fortress FT-02 with the same configuration. Of course, that could be because I had them both under a desk, so the fans blowing out the back of the cosmos might be more effective that the top fans of the fortress blowing up under the desk. And I do love the handles and the way they slide over carpet.
You want to buy an extra one?

supersize

Post by supersize » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:50 am

I think the confusion is between EXTREME gamers who are in pursuit of a ULTIMATE performance pc, but require something to allow extra air into the system whilst not increasing the noise levels up so much. I think don't take my word for this but the COSMOS S maybe a case which is quieter than the Antec 900's

Now where as I am looking for ULTIMATE performance, I am not looking for ultimate GRAPHIC performance in a gaming enviroment. I think this I didn't pay much attention to but I am finding out now at the cost of restless nights whilst my computer is making too much noise.

I think I need to seriously sell of the COSMOS S case, as it's too much for what I need.

This time around I need to spend more time on deciding factors of the case.

My first intention was to get a great looking case.
Quiestest case.
Coolest.

In this order, I think the Cosmos S does hit the great looking ( not one case out there that looks as good as this one aswell as all the parts doing what they are required to achieve.)

Still I am looking for better cases than the P183 and Sonata, but I don't want a PSU with the case. I've already got an enermax psu

ces

Post by ces » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:02 am

Get good components. Expecting the case to quiet down poorly chosen components just doesn't work.

If you get good components, the case will be quiet even if it isn't quiet. If you get bad components, you will have noise no matter what case you chose.

Do you need a full ATX board or can you live with a uATX or Mini-ITX board?

How many hard drives do you need resident inside the case?

supersize

Post by supersize » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:11 am

I've got about 4 HDD's in my current build at the moment, however that's only because I can only fit that many. But to be honest I don't think I want to go above 4 HDD's other wise it's just asking for rattling noises.

I've got a 1366 socket motherboard at the moment, which I might just reconsider changing to a 1156. ( Must have a big think about this )

I don't want anything bigger than the Cosmos S Dimensions are
Product Description: Cooler Master Cosmos S - Full tower - Extended ATX
Dimensions (WxDxH): 10.5 in x 24.7 in x 23.5 in
I/O Connectors: 4 x Hi-Speed USB 1 x IEEE 1394 (FireWire) 1 x Storage - eSATA 1 x Microphone - Input 1 x Headphones - Output
CNET.com

supersize

Post by supersize » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:30 am

Have been recommended a Nexus Edge. Any opinions?

ces

Post by ces » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:39 am

Here is something from out in left field.

Wait a month or two.

1 Lian Li mini-ITX Q08 case

Get the new Lian Li mini-ITX Q08 case. My recollection is that it holds 6 extremely well cooled hard drives in a removable hard drive case.

Lian Li hard drive cages are in my opinion the best in the industry. The only hard drive mountings that are better are the suspension mountings in the Antec Solo (and I really don't like their implementation of the suspension either - too easy for the HDDs to slip out).

The case front of the Q08 is dominated by a large 140mm fan. The whole case has excellent cooling.

If you use an external power supply (such as the 220 watt dual winmate system that Electrodacus sells here on this message board) you have room for a nice tower CPU cooler, such as the Prolimatech or Venomous X.

2. Lian Li mini-ITX Q07 case

The Q08 is a fairly small case that is very well cooled. Though I personally like its little sister, the Q07. Prettier and more petite in my opinion.

But if you were to go the Q07 route, you need to cut a blow hole, add a fan, and rely on esata if you want more than 3 hard drives in the case.

3. Gigabyte H55 1156 Mini-ITX Motherboard.

Gigabyte is coming out with an H55 1156 Mini-ITX Motherboard. Unlike all the other mini-ITX boards this one has strong overclocking/underclocking capability.

It is made in heaven for the Q08

supersize

Post by supersize » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:35 pm

I don't know about the ITX stuff, it's not very popular at the moment, so I'd want to stay away from it.

I'm thinking of selling the whole system I've built now.

ces

Post by ces » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:42 pm

supersize wrote:I don't know about the ITX stuff, it's not very popular at the moment, so I'd want to stay away from it.
That may have been a true statement 12 months ago. That's not so true anymore. I believe with the arrival of the Sandy Bridge chips at the end of the year that is going to definitely become not true.

ces

Post by ces » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:03 pm

supersize wrote:I'm thinking of selling the whole system I've built now.
Probably a good idea. Then start fresh. I need to sell my abandoned Cosmos S myself.

cordis

oops

Post by cordis » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:55 am

Hey, sorry, I got confused, I have two Cosmos 1000 cases. The Cosmos S does have the big side fan. Yeah, given the completely open front on that case, and the side fan, I can see how that would be pretty noisy. The Cosmos 1000, with the closed off sides is pretty quiet, and it keeps things relatively cool. But I wasn't even going to try the Cosmos S.

davidrees

Post by davidrees » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:23 pm

I have had a Cosmos S for over a year and as someone who has built his own PC for some 15 years in some 15 cases, it is my favorite high performance case, especially given the potential to make it nearly silent.

This is not a good case for the people who demand absolute silence, but if you want good looks and virtual silence, this is an excellent choice.

My first build was an Intel Core 2 class 5200 processor OC'd from 2.5 to 3.5Ghz. I used the Hyper TX cooler and 1 front fan and 1 rear fan - both were speed adjusted to be inaudible. My video card was a Gigabyte 4850 with a passive cooler and the the massive, 700rpm side fan kept that card very happy no matter what game I was playing.

A few notes on the Cosmos S:

1. This is a quiet case, but it is not a "quieting" case. The case it's self, if properly setup, will not add any noise to your system, but it will also not reduce the noise of poorly chosen, noisy components.

2. Hard drive suspension is mandatory. This was really the last thing I did and it also made the most difference. After I had tuned the fans, selected a quiet CPU cooler and video card and PS (Corsair), I was still not quite happy with the nose level and I decided that it was resonant noise from the hard drives. I removed the "quick latch" things from the sides of the main drive bays and installed some elastic cord to suspend mount 2 hard drives - it was easy and incredibly effective and at that point, the system was essentially inaudible unless my ear was within inches of the case. The exception was seek noise which, while reduced, was still mildly audible.

3. The thing that killed the silence on this system was upgrading from a 4850 passive card to a (don't laugh) 4870X2 card with the high speed shrouded fan. I wanted the power and forgot how loud a video card could be. The stock cooling lasted just long enough for me to order the Arctic Cooling HSF to silence that beast and again the system was back to virtual silence.

4. Because I spent so much time on the wiring an interior of my system, and because I wanted a larger HSF for the CPU so I could overclock the new i5/750, I decided to replace the side fan/panel with the windowed panel. (The stock panel/fan only gives about 154mm of clearance - not enough for larger tower coolers). Well I grossly underestimated the cooling provided by the side fan and while the system looks nice, as soon as you fire up a game, everything overheats and the system crashes. I am now in the process of re-engineering the cooling to use only 120mm fans (mostly just for the challenge of it) so that is my current project. I had to go to overkill so the system is back to moderately noisy, but it is a work in progress.

This is a very fun case to work on and it can support just about anything you would like to try - from multiple WC loops to triple high end video cards - you name it - but it will not reduce the noise of anything, and it does not claim to.

What kind of power supply are you using? I can only see this being a problem in 2 instances:

1. Your power supply uses "straight through" cooling and is drawing air from inside the case (although this should not heat up your video card)

2. You are using a passive power supply which would be completely inappropriate in this case.

The case is designed to allow the power supply to draw outside air from the filtered intake beneath the power supply mounting location and vent the warm air out the back of the case - there should be virtually no warm air introduced into the case from the power supply.

This is actually an advantage in building a quiet system as a top mounted power supply has to try to cool its components using the warmest air in the case. This will typically cause the power supply fans to increase in speed and result in more noise that you would experience in a properly designed bottom mount power supply as I described.

However, after further consideration, I suspect you are suffering from the same problem I am which is that you have removed the side fan without compensating the the loss of air flow. My recommendation would be to use a pair of 120mm fans in the front of the PC. There are a number of ways to accomplish this from simple zip ties to purchasing some sort of "triple bay" fan mount and using 3 bays per fan. The Kama Bay and various hard drive mounting solutions will let you do this easily.

I am planning on plugging the ventilation slots and running a fairly tight system with positive pressure.

Please keep us apprised of your progress.

supersize

Post by supersize » Sat May 22, 2010 8:47 am

david I will reply to your post after this... however i hav ejust bought a p183,

this board is only good for basic users... im rebuilding with my cosmos s