Using tape for silencing

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Tamlin

Using tape for silencing

Post by Tamlin » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:50 am

I have searched the forum and can't find any tests about using tape (like ductape) for silencing purposes.

I'm spesifically thinking about using rubber based tape on detachable parts like hd tray. The theory is that metal again metal creates larger noise then if you have a material inbetween that doesn't transfer the waves.

Kinda like if you have glass against glass, it makes a high sound, but if you put a thin piece of paper inbetween it blunts the sound. :)

Did anyone test this out if there is some value of doing it?

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:02 am

I've used foam tape- but its not as good as full suspension.
Most tape will eventually get hard or disintegrate after prolonged exposure to the heat inside a PC.

swivelguy2

Post by swivelguy2 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:43 pm

What you want to use is not tape, but rubber. A thin sheet of neoprene or butyl rubber (or whatever) will work forever, unlike duct tape.

Tamlin

Post by Tamlin » Sat May 01, 2010 8:52 am

Thanks. :)

I have "electrician tape", which is made of rubber and a bit thicker then regular tape. Since the removable parts in my cabinet have very little space to put something inbetween, i was thinking about applying that tape in layers as far as I could.

Pierre

Post by Pierre » Sat May 01, 2010 10:55 am

In what kind of shop can one find this rubber-made thin tape? How to ask for it or what are its usual applications, so that the other person understands?

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Fri May 07, 2010 12:07 pm

You can use it to soften a buzzing of two metal components, but the problem is that over time the adhesive flows and gets gooey. The recommendation of butyl rubber was the best as neoprene tends to get brittle over time (especially at elevated temps).

Soft open-cell foams work well too along with cushy fabrics...