Blocking my P183's Top Vent

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Siegfried262

Blocking my P183's Top Vent

Post by Siegfried262 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:51 pm

Hey guys,

So in my recent quest to silence my computer I got a P183 (Quite the snazzy case) and with the Megahalem & 750rpm Noiseblocker fans the noise level is great, however I'd like to block the top vent off since it seems like it's another vector for noise to escape and I don't intend on using it but what would be a good way to cover it myself and have it look ok?

Would electrical tape fit the bill or would I be better off scouring a Home Depot or something similar for perhaps some rubber?

Any assistance or advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

spookmineer
Patron of SPCR

Post by spookmineer » Sat May 01, 2010 7:23 pm

I used sticky foam (3 mm, one side peel off sticker).
Because the fan grill is slightly higher than the top of the case, I cut out one piece of foam in the shape of the fan grill. I put the sticky side down, then used a larger piece of foam with the sticky side up, so the two sticky sides are facing eachother. Then the larger piece of foam sticks to the inside of the case.

This way, the sticky side is not visible from the outside and doesn't attract dust etc.

Antec_Rep

Re: Blocking my P183's Top Vent

Post by Antec_Rep » Wed May 05, 2010 11:07 am

Siegfried262 wrote:Hey guys,

So in my recent quest to silence my computer I got a P183 (Quite the snazzy case) and with the Megahalem & 750rpm Noiseblocker fans the noise level is great, however I'd like to block the top vent off since it seems like it's another vector for noise to escape and I don't intend on using it but what would be a good way to cover it myself and have it look ok?

Would electrical tape fit the bill or would I be better off scouring a Home Depot or something similar for perhaps some rubber?

Hi Siegfried262,

I would recommend just disconnecting the top fan and leave it as it is.

However, if the noise is really getting to you then I would recommend buying a fan cover. The link below has a picture of the fan cover, you would have to call us and order the fan cover from us through the phone.

Link!

Antec

bozar

Post by bozar » Wed May 05, 2010 12:00 pm

Just put a piece of bitumen over. Add some foam if you want. If you don't need the additional cooling then you are fine.

Siegfried262

Post by Siegfried262 » Fri May 07, 2010 2:53 pm

Great suggestions all-around.

Question for you though Antec-Rep, would that fan cover you showed me fit the top vent of the P183 properly?

Also, where might I get a piece of bitumen?

kars

Post by kars » Sat May 08, 2010 4:06 am

I actually reopened my top vent after having had it closed. It's perfect for creating short air tunnel, from the top vent to the back (the back one having a slow moving 120mm fan). For me it was quieter using this tunnel and reducing the rear fan's speed than blocking the vent. Just a suggestion.

Antec_Rep

Post by Antec_Rep » Tue May 18, 2010 10:34 am

Siegfried262 wrote:Great suggestions all-around.

Question for you though Antec-Rep, would that fan cover you showed me fit the top vent of the P183 properly?

Siegfried262,

I went and double check with customer support and they said it should fit properly. Since you will have to place an order with customer support for this cover, you should ask them and triple check. :)

Please mention its the 120mm cover from the Antec Fusion Remote case and they should know what item your are referring to.

Antec Customer Support Number: 1-800-222-6832 (10:00am to 4:00pm PST)

Antec

syee

Post by syee » Thu May 20, 2010 8:19 am

Hey Siegfried262 - I have a P183, and I have that piece from my Antec Fusion case for my HTPC. I found the piece in the box and I'll try it tonight. It looks like it should screw right in the place of where the fan goes (it's 120mmx120mm so it it's the same size as the fan)

I'll take some pics when I'm done.

EDIT: Installed the cover today in the P183. Pics below:

From the top:

From inside the case:

Didn't notice any change in the noise from my PC. Airflow may be a little bit better. I see temps down about 1-2C across the board (though to be fair, the PC has only been on for about 20-25 min and mostly idle so far so I don't think it's reached it's peak yet)

maxextz

Post by maxextz » Mon May 31, 2010 4:22 pm

i will try that mod.i have the p180 but i don't really like the top fan either.

Wayne Redpath

Post by Wayne Redpath » Mon May 31, 2010 5:19 pm

I have a old Antec P180 spcr_edition case. I started with a home made blank cover made from a VHS case. I mounted the cover on the inside on the fan mountings as "syee" has done. It made a big difference. But, I had weird resonances at the top of the case and so now I use a HEAVY book.

m0002a

Post by m0002a » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:37 am

deleted - wrong thread.

Tom Brown

Post by Tom Brown » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:20 am

I have a P182 and the top fan is the only major flaw in the case design, IMO. After trying the fan in both the back and top positions, the rear facing fan seems significantly quieter to me.

The P183 is significantly more open in front so maybe the top fan isn't the most significant sound path anymore. Have you tried covering the top fan to see if the noise reduces appreciably?

pqyrz

Post by pqyrz » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:00 pm

Antec_Rep wrote:

Siegfried262,

I went and double check with customer support and they said it should fit properly. Since you will have to place an order with customer support for this cover, you should ask them and triple check. :)

Please mention its the 120mm cover from the Antec Fusion Remote case and they should know what item your are referring to.

Antec Customer Support Number: 1-800-222-6832 (10:00am to 4:00pm PST)

Antec
Any idea how much this plastic square costs? Thank you.

Olle P

Post by Olle P » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:25 am

kars wrote:I actually reopened my top vent after having had it closed. It's perfect for creating short air tunnel, from the top vent to the back (the back one having a slow moving 120mm fan). For me it was quieter using this tunnel and reducing the rear fan's speed than blocking the vent. Just a suggestion.
That solution will reduce the cooling in the rest of the upper compartment, which might cause heat problems for the graphics card.

My solution was to mount a piece of clear acrylic that I cut to the size of a fan and then screwed in place, as can be seen in this picture.

Cheers
Olle

Dxun

Re: Blocking my P183's Top Vent

Post by Dxun » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:46 am

Siegfried262 wrote:Hey guys,

After dismounting the fan, I used this excellent noise damping material as a noise blocker - I actually covered the whole upper side (not just the upper fan grill) of P183 with this and (for more than a year) it performes excellently, i.e. it didn't stick off, and it doesn't interefere with cooling in any way (at least as far as I can tell).

Market name in EU is Tyrotex foam, and a square meter of this costs about 10 US$.

Pgh

Post by Pgh » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:22 am

I've been thinking about trying this for the top opening on my P182:

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/ ... s_id=28174

It looks like it will cut down on noise but still allow hot air to escape.

Pgh

Post by Pgh » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:26 am

Oops - the P182 doesn't have the holes in the top opening needed for that duct. But it could probably be mounted with two-sided foam tape.

Pgh

Post by Pgh » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:41 am

danimal

Post by danimal » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:34 am

that duct looks very interesting, it might cut the noise down slightly on a p183, since the case doesn't come with a duct, like the p182 does.

thanks for the link.