P183/Solo front intake

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

quickrabbit5

P183/Solo front intake

Post by quickrabbit5 » Sun May 16, 2010 3:49 pm

Sorry if this is an incredibly idiotic question, but it's been bothering me for a while.

I'm under the assumption that installing a front intake and a rear exhaust will be better acoustically in the P183 due to the louder top vent. I was wondering though, does the front door need to be opened in order for the front intake to function properly? Would the system become noticeably louder if I left the front door open, and conversely, if I kept it closed, would I lose a lot of cooling potential?

This also ties into the solo (another case I've been considering) seeing as it has front intakes as well. However, I don't see any feasible way of taking the front cover out of the equation without entirely removing the front door. Would that be the only way to do it?

Thanks for the help!

BlackWhizz

Post by BlackWhizz » Mon May 17, 2010 12:45 am

I have a P180 mini with a 600RPM Nexus. In my experience a real silent at 12v/1000RPM becomes a little louder when the door is opened (when my ear is at 30CM away from the fan [more than 30 cm you cant hear the difference]). At 600RPM noice difference is inaudible.

Also, my temps went down for half a degree when my front door was open. So it wont matter i guess.

Shai-tan

Post by Shai-tan » Mon May 17, 2010 1:01 am

Hey;
I'm not sure about the solo but my P183 has more than enough air from the front intake with the door closed and that is using a scythe 1200 slip stream at 640 - 680 rpm. The noise does increase somewhat with the door open however. Cool air will generally find its way into a case where the more important thing is exhuast and airflow.

The best advantage of the P183 is the seperate PSU compartment. This decreases psu noise because the case is cooler and it means you don't need to have your fans running at higher rpm and noise for the same cooling performance.
The P183 was the best buy as far as cases go, for me personally and because everything is running so low i cant hear the computer anymore lol

If Antec bring out an update on the solo in the next year or so, I will be setting up a portable silent build, the current version of the solo is starting to get sub-standard these days as far as cooling/quietness is concerned the PSU mounting position is the only thing putting me off really.

syee

Post by syee » Mon May 17, 2010 12:39 pm

There's vents on the side and front of the P183 for air to get into the case. I too haven't noticed any significant temperature changes with the door open or closed.

I've currently got an 1150rpm and 850rpm Scythe Gentle Typhoons out front and a Scythe S-Flex (1200rpm) pulling air out the back and an 1850rpm Gentle Typhoon pushing air through my Megahalems. The noise is definitely noticeable with all these fans running but it's not at the point that it's annoying (yet).

fwiffo

Post by fwiffo » Mon May 17, 2010 12:57 pm

The vents around the edge of the door in these cases let in a lot of air (mine is a Mini P180, which has the same door design but smaller). I have the two (stock) exhaust fans on low and I can actually feel the suction around the door. It is noticeably louder (though not extremely) with the door open even though I don't have a front fan. But the system is plenty cool regardless. If there is a cooling difference with the door open, it's not significant.

quickrabbit5

Post by quickrabbit5 » Tue May 18, 2010 2:56 pm

Thanks for the input guys! Guess I'll be keeping the front door closed.

One last small question: Do you guys know if I'll have enough clearance to completely close the front door on a p183 if I install a fan controller like one of these?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811998065

(Notice the knobs)

JamieG

Post by JamieG » Tue May 18, 2010 3:00 pm

I have no problems closing the door on my P182 with a Scythe Kaze Server fan controller mounted in a 5.25 inch bay. Those knobs look about the same size, so I think you should be fine.

fwiffo

Post by fwiffo » Tue May 18, 2010 3:00 pm

I've got a Kaze Master on the way, so I'll be able to tell you as soon as it arrives. :D

Shai-tan

Post by Shai-tan » Tue May 18, 2010 9:18 pm

yeah my kaze master ace works fine with my P183

BlackWhizz

Post by BlackWhizz » Wed May 19, 2010 1:50 am

My Kaze Master ace also fits nicely in my P180 Mini :)