Using mass loaded vinyl for PC acoustic damping?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

infiniteengine

Using mass loaded vinyl for PC acoustic damping?

Post by infiniteengine » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:20 pm

I've been researching acoustics and the like for the past year or so, with a focus on home theater design in Mnahattan where space is tight, and the considerate prefer not to drive their neighbors insane. This obviously means a lot of sound barriers.

For the work I've done on my on apartment I've been a bit strapped for cash so I've mostly picked up what I can afford when decent materials pop up on Craigslist, most recently a roll of mas loaded vinyl I only need about 3/4 of.

I'm almost done painting my new server, a heavily modified Supermicro SC742, and though it is going to be nearly inaudible as is I was wondering if anyone can see any negatives to using MLV to line the inside. The roll I have weighs a pound per square foot, so see no reason why this considerable increase in density would be a bad thing, unless there are any significant cooling issues I haven't considered?

With about 40 sq. ft. 0f this stuff left over, I really hope you guys approve . Though I know there are better materials, this stuff is leftover and was bought on the cheap to begin with so it'd be great to be able to make use of it. Thanks.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:34 am

If you have vibration related noise you want to reduce, the mass loaded vinyl should help.

thread 1

thread 2

EsaT

Post by EsaT » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:57 pm

Mass damping stuff is lot better basic damping material than very light foams.
Beside decrease in vibrations extra layer of mass surely increases also opacity to airborne sound. (just like different type walls behave)

Lining case becomes cooling issue only if you block airflow. Case isn't any heatsink so its surface/panel material becomes issue only if heat has to get out from case through them instead of being carried away by airflow.

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:21 pm

www.soundproofing.org

thats the shat buddies. that's the SHAT.

talk to them on the phone, they are awesome people.

mlv the weight of lead, or even buy pure lead sheets. Optimal for sound proofing is lead sheets glued onto the walls and MLV double layer stuff on top of that. Not a vibration could be transfered to augmented.

HammerSandwich
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by HammerSandwich » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:50 pm

I lined my Chenbro Genie with MLV in late 2003. Details here.