Fractal Design planning new cases

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

EsaT

Fractal Design planning new cases

Post by EsaT » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:11 pm

There's also small interview in pages three and four.
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cases/ ... re-cases/1
Even without Antec going lately more towards Thermaltrashed lack of style it's definitely good to have more choises to quiet stylish cases.
Like they say in interview there definitely isn't too much competition in that market...

Pierre

Post by Pierre » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:56 pm

Yep, I am waiting the DefineXL to be released, in expectation of getting a "quieter" case, which means it will have to be a lot sturdier than the Define R2.

I am really happy they opted for keeping the sides and top without holes, there's greater prospect there when looking to set up a "as quiet as it can get" case.

I had been fortunate enough to see some earlier samples of the DefineXL...it seems they have moved away from some ideas that would make the case reminiscent of the Obsidian series, but by doing so they also kind of "streamlined" the case, probably making it easier to work with...

But although the "obsidian-type" features with regard to hdd cooling and exhaust seem to have been done away with, in part at least, cause one can still see the vertical line of holes running down the rear right of the case, they have not provided for "active" exhaust for the heated air of the lower department...
Having had negative experiences with Lian Li V2010 - also without exhaust fan in the lower department - with regard to to hdd temps, this troubles me a little...they have reduced the number of drives in the low department from 8 to 6, but high temperatures could still be a problem (especially in countries like Greece in the summer and for people who hold many hdds and don't want to see their temperatures rise above 40 C at any time).

I'll have to wait for some reviews to be sure...can't wait though...

It guess this case will also feature the bitumen layers on the sides and top?
It might be nice to see some cases shipping with the "combo" noise absorbing solution of Fractal Design, a combination of bitumen and sound absorbing foam...its advantage though is also its disadvantage, since it is too thick at 16mm, which would make it difficult to fit...

nutball
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by nutball » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:21 am

Please please please, can we have a decent micro-ATX tower, that's not an ATX-tower-in-all-but-name size-wise?

mkk

Post by mkk » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:37 am

Would have liked to see some changes to the HDD mounting, specifically visavi dampening. Or a steel Array. But still good news. The angled fan in the XL sounds like a brilliant idea.