Define R3 specs and info out.

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Redzo

Define R3 specs and info out.

Post by Redzo » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:32 am

Fractal Design (same guys that made Define R2 ) have released info about Define R3. Basically a improved R2 and it looks really interesting.

Titanium Grey

Arctic White

Black Pearl

Silver Arrow

More info found here
http://www.fractal-design.com/?view=pro ... =2&prod=33

frostedflakes

Post by frostedflakes » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:17 am

Some good looking stuff (better paint job) and some kind of meh stuff (higher speed/louder fans being included with the case). Still looks great if they can keep it at the ~$100 price point, though. Also, they need to find a US distributor already, I'm sure there's a ton of demand here for their cases.

marcus_helsinki

Interesting new specifications R3 vs R2

Post by marcus_helsinki » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:33 pm

The specifications of R2 read: "BITUMEN in sidewalls".
and R3: "dense noise absorbing material in sidewalls"

There has been complaints about the smell caused by bitumen. Use of bitumen is forbidden on any surface in contact with indoor air according to construction regulation of houses, at least in most if not all countries in Europe. So it is not surprising if the bitumen was replaced with a more user-friendly material.

But, still there is no separate chamber for the PSU. Of course, if components and the PSU are rather cold anyway, this may not have a very large effect on temperatures.

Luke M

Post by Luke M » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:20 pm

They added a reset button.

Redzo

Re: Interesting new specifications R3 vs R2

Post by Redzo » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:38 pm

marcus_helsinki wrote: But, still there is no separate chamber for the PSU. Of course, if components and the PSU are rather cold anyway, this may not have a very large effect on temperatures.
I find very little need for a separated PSU since in this case PSU draws fresh, cool air from it's own intake on the bottom.

mkk

Post by mkk » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:54 pm

I think I saw some R3's in the wild a week ago, but didn't think to look for the reset button... They were in gray OEM cartons without much in the way of markings. Anyway by the pictures it's still very much still a bitumen mix but just yet another different one. The ones that I unpacked had absolutely no particular odor and had the other looks of an updated revision; like the softer silicone cable slot covers. Also the metalwork felt a bit more precise all over and the drive slides were tight enough to not rattle like before.

I would have liked to see some thicker/softer silicone grommets for the drives. It's basicaly what holds off retiring my old Stacker case for one of these, considering I'd put at least six drives in there.

frost

Post by frost » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:53 pm

I was seriously looking at the R2 for being an option as my new quiet computer. However, the numerous complaints about the bitumen odor as well as remarks about generally cheap build quality (a batch of them at NCIX.com had reportedly erroneously wired front USB ports, thin walls, etc) kinda shyed me off the product. As far as what it offered however it really was an awesome contender at the ~$100 price range I thought. I hope the R3 addresses the issues of the R2 and keeps that price range low... coz that would make a solid design.

axee

Post by axee » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:44 am

They forgot hole for 4/8 pin motherboard cable and rear fan cables. Big minus for me.

walle

Post by walle » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:31 pm

They seem to have listened to their customers and made some improvements in accordance to the feedback. This is a good thing.

axee

Post by axee » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:08 pm

I really don't understand why there isn't any hole at top left above MB :?

Pierre

Post by Pierre » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:03 am

And here comes the Define XL http://www.fractal-design.com/?view=pro ... =2&prod=54

I had been told it would cost around 150€...hope we get availability quickly, as well as a review here at silentpcreview