Wondering about Noise absorbtion kits' smell...

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

OddSilence

Wondering about Noise absorbtion kits' smell...

Post by OddSilence » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:17 pm

Hello,

Feel free to post here about your experiences with NoiseAbsorberKits, in terms of smell, for us to know which ones smell/stink and which ones don't!

I bought a NoiseAbsortionKit sometime ago for the first time (Spire SoundPad) [but only now I opened the box] and (I know it's no news) it has a hideous and very pungent smell.

When I read a few times other people saying a NoiseAbsorberKit smelled I never thought it was so bad, it's really repulsive... :(

What is your experience, does the smell go away after some time?

For now I used it for a little application for which I could put it in a sort of "shell", so I'm hopefull it won't let pass the smell. But the rest (most of it) I would like to use it for what it is "supposed to", which is to stick it on case walls..

If the smell doesn't go away, I don't understand how anyone can stand it :?
In such case I wouldn't use it, because:
- there is simply no way I would stand smelling that every day! :?
- and such smell really leaves me wondering if it isn't made with a substance dangerous to health! :shock:

For me it smells like petroleum but I might be wrong...
Is that thing made with "petroleum tar"? (that on wikipedia says is considered toxic and carcinogenic)
What do you think?

If it "was" smelly and bad for health, how can that be less important than a tiny bit of noise reduction? :x
(Even if just the smell, how can companies sell such stuff... :? )
Last edited by OddSilence on Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:03 am, edited 7 times in total.

walle

Post by walle » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:19 pm

I have never used any of their products but if the smell is that bad then something could be wrong with it. I know that there often will be a certain level of smell to these kits, yes, though the few noise absorbing kits I've come in contact with has never smelt as bad as you describe this kit of doing.

If I were you I would remove the kit altogether and place it outside, say on the balcony or on the porch and wait a few days to see if the smell disappears or not. If it doesn't contact the store you bought it from and let them know whilst ask them for a refund.

Could it be bad for ones health? Yes, I would say so. Ordinary paint could be bad for the health if it wasn't to dry but instead remain in liquid form because of all the fumes and what's in them.

scdr

Post by scdr » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:35 pm

I have no experience with the kit in question (or other of the sound damping kits). Thank you for sharing about this ones stinkyness (i.e. one to avoid.)

As to how companies can sell such stuff. Consider that things like air "fresheners" and many cosmetics contain many substances known or suspected to be toxic/health hazards/carcinogens. (And these are products that are intended for you to breathe or place on your skin.)

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 123900.htm
http://www.arb.ca.gov/research/abstracts/01-336.htm

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 134438.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_freshener#Toxicity

I think such uses of toxins should be banned (or at least they should have to be proven safe - for preference with the long term human testing carried out on the CEO, board of directors, and stock holders of the company in question.) Until then, unfortunately it is caveat emptor. (And avoid public places that use them.)

OddSilence

Post by OddSilence » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:20 pm

walle wrote:
If I were you I would remove the kit altogether and place it outside,(...) and wait a few days to see if the smell disappears
Your idea is good, but as it is a foam-like-material, I'm afraid it would absorb moisture and debris, so at most I consider putting it outside for several hours on a sunny day.
The small part I already used, I put it in a sort of shell I made with plastic and silicone, so I'd have to wreck it a bit to get it out, also the glue is sticky... (I was hopefull the shell would block possible toxins (that is if there are any - the smell suggests there are, but it isn't scientific proof), I wonder if the silicone(which I assume is the "weakest link") is able to block it or not...

At this moment I'm thinking of just dispose of it all (I wonder how: can it be recycled? In what container? can it be put in garbage?... :( )

walle wrote:
If it doesn't contact the store you bought it from and let them know whilst ask them for a refund
Unfortunately I bought it long ago so probably is out of warranty, and would risk having to pay the shipment, which would make it not worth it (since it was fairly cheap ~10€).

scdr wrote:
this ones stinkyness (i.e. one to avoid.)
To be fair, I have never used other NoiseAbsorberKits, so I can't say this one is worse than the others. It is possible that I am more sensitive to the smell than other people, or that other people just don't care about it..
So, having no proof nor any means of comparison, what I can say is:
I advise anyone who is sensitive to strong smells, etc, to be cautious about NoiseAbsorberKits, by either avoiding to buy it, or by choosing very carefully one that doesn't smell.

scdr wrote:
(they should have to be proven safe - for preference with the long term human testing carried out on the CEO, board of directors, and stock holders of the company in question.)
I really like your idea!! :lol:

Thanks walle and scdr.

Since I generally concern about health, and can't stand that smell, (and either of these two reasons is enough for me), I think I will "play it safe" and not use the stuff.
I would ask if anyone wanted a "free smelly NoiseAbsorberKit" :p , but even If someone wanted it, I wouldn't be able to "live with myself" for giving such smelly(and possibly not very healthful) thing to someone.

speedkar9

Re: Wondering about Noise absorbtion kits' smell...

Post by speedkar9 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:35 am

OddSilence wrote: For me it smells like petroleum but I might be wrong...
Is that thing made with "petroleum tar"? (that on wikipedia says is considered toxic and carcinogenic)
What do you think?
I once used automotive underbody spray coating to dampen thin panels I had on a case. After drying for more than a week outside, it smelled like crazy when I brought it indoors. Its also very messy and never dried hard. Yuck.

Your better off using foam meant for sound dampening (like they use in car floor pans and speaker boxes), or add weight to the panel using peel and stick tiles or something.

m0002a

Post by m0002a » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:10 am

It is likely that the product was made in China. Apparently they incorporate used motor oil in their rubber products, and I have noticed many such products that have the odors you describe. Used motor oil is a carcinogenic (known to cause cancer) and I would advise you to stay away from any product that has such odors.

I also have problems with athletic shoes made from glues that are known to be carcinogenic. Usually (unlike the rubber products with used motor oil) these will off-gas (dissipate) after some period of time. I currently have a pair of athletic shoes in my garage that I will leave there for about 6 months before wearing them.

themaster1

Post by themaster1 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:31 pm

Speaking of noise absorbtion kit, i think this one don't smell plus it's got a sound barrier so more efficient, supposedly.I'll buy some soon to see.

Personally i bought an Akasa kit, it did smell a little at first but now it's almost disapeared.

OddSilence

Update

Post by OddSilence » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:04 pm

Update and conclusion(of my case):

A really small piece I left "airing" seems to have its smell reduced substancially, but i don't know if it lost its "smell-generating-power", as in when put in a closed case if it would generate more smell again. I also don't know about large pieces.
But, I'm sorry, but I'm not willing to make experiments with it.

I found a review on the web that compares the Spire's product with Akasa's product, in which the author says he thinks they might come from the same factory. he also says something about the smell:
"The two kits are very much the same thing, come in identical sized boxes, and have the same strange MCS-triggering smell"
I recognize I'm generally a bit obsessed with being cautious, so it might be "all in my imagination"(or not, since that reviewer noticed a strange smell too). And there are a lot of dangerous or/and smelly things in everyday stuff we use... And since the smell appears to reduce a bit, most people should probably be ok(in terms of having no "moral" objections) with using this thing(as many other things).

But I won't..

Many thanks to you all for your useful&interesting information, advices&suggestions and support.

Feel free to post here about your "smelly" experiences with NoiseAbsorbers, for us to know which ones smell and which ones don't... :)