Corsair 600T review

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

SGCSG1

Corsair 600T review

Post by SGCSG1 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:17 pm

Newegg has these in stock.

http://techreport.com/articles.x/19638

The numbers above tell us a couple of things. First, running the fans at full blast doesn't reduce temperatures all that much. Even under a very heavy load, we only registered a 3-4°C delta between the lowest and highest fan speeds. Also, even with all the fans turned down, the CPU temperature didn't rise very much under load—only by about 7°C. The modesty of that temperature increase is impressive considering we're dealing with a 125W chip.

Being able to turn down the fans is all well and good, but does it really make the 600T a whole lot quieter? While we were running our temperature tests, we probed noise levels using an Extech 407727 Digital Sound Level Meter to find out.

t idle with the fan speeds set on low, our sound meter couldn't get a reading from the left side of the case, suggesting that noise output was below its 40dB threshold. Not bad at all. It seems we're looking at a 4-5dB delta between minimum and maximum fan speeds, which isn't small potatoes—keep in mind that the decibel scale is logarithmic, and the human ear typically registers a 10dB increase as a doubling in intensity.

Subjectively, however, raising the fan speeds only amplified the case's faint wooshing sound, which wasn't unpleasant at all. Out of curiosity, I tried unplugging the hard drive and stopping the GPU's blower fan with my finger. With the case fans at their lowest setting, the system became no louder or more aggravating than a faint summer breeze. Those 200-mm fans really do a good job of keeping noise levels low and airflow at a still-respectable level.

riddles

Post by riddles » Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:23 pm

I was looking at this one. I might get it since I need that much HD space.
Plus the addition of a USB 3.0 port right up front is huge. This seems to be a future proof case (for the next 3 years.)

One very cool part seems to be that you could potentially have up to 9 HDs in this case. If you add an extra 3-drive cage to the bottom, then that's 9 HDs

It looks to beat the P183, it is priced to compete with it.

Here are some more reviews:

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1320/1/
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cases/ ... 00t-case/1
http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews ... ries_600t/

video review..
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/me ... h-com.html

sblantipodi

Re: Corsair 600T review

Post by sblantipodi » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:39 pm

what do you think about this case.
it should be silent?

whispercat

Post by whispercat » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:33 pm

I love the fact the I/O ports are on top, and even has a fan controller on top !!

Very cool looking. I wonder how quiet it is.

zoran89

Post by zoran89 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:42 pm

its veeeerryyy nice :-)....but i dont think it will be quiet...

whispercat

Post by whispercat » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:20 pm

Anandtech just did a review of the Corsair 600 T:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4028/cors ... -and-quiet

They found it to be "cool and quiet". Of course, they don't have an anechoic chamber for their testing. Still, interesting.

Enzo_FX

Post by Enzo_FX » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:58 pm

This case is the first case since the P180 series to pleasantly surprise me. It does so more on features than in terms of the low noise factor the latter offers. Features is something I've been longing for in cases. It always amazed me how it never occurred to manufacturers to integrate functionality better. In this case, the fan controller, even just the cabling is great, all fans are connected together so all it takes is 1 molex connection to power them all. Furthermore I love Corsair's cables. They seem to be just like on their modular PSU's. Those things look so beautifully easy to work with, and a lot thinner. I've always thought this was another room for improvement, it just seems no one else ever thinks about these simple things....

If SPCR did a review and it was solid, I'd be sold! Though I can already see some things that can contribute to a louder build =P.

wumpus
Patron of SPCR

Post by wumpus » Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:43 am

This is a great, great case -- easily my all time favorite. My review is here:

http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2011/0 ... oting.html

I've made a few mods worthy of mention since I wrote that.

1. First with a bullet: *DEFINITELY* tin snip the grille for *both* front 200mm and back 120mm fans. It makes a HUGE difference in sound on the fans! In particular the front fan went from being "annoying at 600 rpm" to barely more than whooshing white noise at twice the rpms. Plus, massively increased airflow, etc.

2. The fan controller, I have started to use. It's not bad but the range of adjustment it has is pretty limited from max to min. The controller is more relevant now since I moved to ATI 5780 crossfire and that generates a *lot* of extra heat under load which needs to be exhausted from the case. I not only need super-optimized airflow to keep it quiet, I need a mild boost of the fan RPMs to help with exhausting all the heat when gaming. This lets the knob on top of the case do that for me. (and it is still quiet-ish even at max!)

3. I am not convinced the top 200mm fan matters at all. I have closed mine up and placed damping foam in there. The open top is also a direct path for sound to my ear, which sucks. Might remove that fan entirely for simplicity's sake. Meh on top fan.

4. I also recommend removing the top-most drive bay cage as it almost completely blocks the front 200mm fan. And, really, who has five or more hard drives? Sheesh. It is possible to mount it directly in front of the PSU but that's a bit blocky of the PSU cables.

And, as mentioned in the review, that "140mm fan in 120mm of space" NF-P14 fan fits *perfectly* in that rear fan exhaust slot (just barely but hey) and I strongly recommend that particular upgrade.

Great case, love it more each and every day!

wumpus
Patron of SPCR

Post by wumpus » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:04 am

Note that top fan is removed.

Grills snipped for front and rear fan -- this is ESSENTIAL to get low noise from fans and better airflow.

Side panel has more damping material. Yes the built in side panel window is covered by foam.

Celoth

Post by Celoth » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:47 pm

Nice. :)

I am doing something similar with my Corsair 650D. Cutting grills and such too and adding the foam. I'll be going for a Coolermaster Megaflow in front since I don't need the HDD bays at all (just putting an SSD in the 5.25" bays). For the rear I was almost gonna buy the same Noctua, but I will try and fit the Thermalright TY-140 fan instead. CPU cooler is going to be the Thermalright Archon.

The main difference is that I will have a low RPM 120mm noiseblocker as top intake to add a little extra cool air to the CPU cooler (overclocking), but are you finding temps great even with dual graphics cards? Because I'll likely go for a dual-card setup as well, and was worried the temps might be too high to get a good overclock on low RPM fans.

wumpus
Patron of SPCR

Post by wumpus » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:39 pm

I am doing something similar with my Corsair 650D. Cutting grills and such too and adding the foam. I'll be going for a Coolermaster Megaflow in front since I don't need the HDD bays at all (just putting an SSD in the 5.25" bays). For the rear I was almost gonna buy the same Noctua, but I will try and fit the Thermalright TY-140 fan instead. CPU cooler is going to be the Thermalright Archon.
Yeah, I thought about that -- there's no reason the hard drives *have* to be in the lower bay, and in fact I have a "scratch" SSD sitting on some foam under the DVD drive. If you only need one or two drives (technically, I have three: boot SSD, large data, and scratch SSD) then that does make sense and would remove another obstruction from the front lower fan. No drive bays down below at all...
The main difference is that I will have a low RPM 120mm noiseblocker as top intake to add a little extra cool air to the CPU cooler (overclocking), but are you finding temps great even with dual graphics cards? Because I'll likely go for a dual-card setup as well, and was worried the temps might be too high to get a good overclock on low RPM fans.
Temps are very, very good with the pictured configuration. Note that I do use the built-in fan controller hooked up to front and rear fans, and I turn it up when gaming or doing furmark+prime95 tests. But my furmark+prime95 results are quite good, only hitting 83c video and 75c CPU under what I consider to be a totally artificial level of load that I'll never see in real life, ever.

For example, during typical high end gameplay I see ~400w power usage, but with furmark+prime95 it's 620w.. that's a 50% increase (!!)

It wouldn't hurt to have some kind of low-RPM fan blowing around near the memory, but I doubt it is essential unless you are somehow hitting those prime95+furmark numbers in normal use and it stays at that level for hours.

Celoth

Post by Celoth » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:48 pm

wumpus wrote:Temps are very, very good with the pictured configuration. Note that I do use the built-in fan controller hooked up to front and rear fans, and I turn it up when gaming or doing furmark+prime95 tests. But my furmark+prime95 results are quite good, only hitting 83c video and 75c CPU under what I consider to be a totally artificial level of load that I'll never see in real life, ever.

For example, during typical high end gameplay I see ~400w power usage, but with furmark+prime95 it's 620w.. that's a 50% increase (!!)

It wouldn't hurt to have some kind of low-RPM fan blowing around near the memory, but I doubt it is essential unless you are somehow hitting those prime95+furmark numbers in normal use and it stays at that level for hours.
Ok thanks. :)

Actually I just read that the TY-140 I was going to try as a rear exhaust doesn't fit well. It conflicts slightly with the side panel, making it hard to close. I'm not afraid to grind away some metal or plastic with the Dremel, but I might just go with the Noctua NF-P14 FLX as well to avoid the added hassle.