Scythe Gekkou - a new case from Akihabara

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

kater

Scythe Gekkou - a new case from Akihabara

Post by kater » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:54 am

Scythe's new tin box - meet the Gekkou (greed is good!)

ImageImage

ImageImage

Standard Gekkou

Silenced Gekkou

Silent version is < $ 100, has dual SS 800 fans, dampening mats and no stupid hole on the side. Could use some cable routing openings. Looks good to me, and I'd even try a venture at maybe saying that it kinda resembles Fractal R cases, but just a tiny wee bit. Also, could come with 2.5" tray(s). Wish there was one in white.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:47 am

Also takes many cues from antec p18x series. Too bad they don't list panel thickness -- the thin sheetmetal of the Fractal is its worst quality. (It's actually pretty bad in this regard; the heavy bitumen sheets help hide the flimsiness.)

JazzJackRabbit

Post by JazzJackRabbit » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:51 am

Need more info on the case. I have a feeling this would go nice with a fanless or semi fanless PSUs like newer seasonics.

Two bad things I can see is it would be difficult to mount a hard drive in an enclosure and stupid side ports, my case is currently sitting inside a table and USB ports on the side would be a major problem.

Erelyes

Post by Erelyes » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:55 pm

I like it. I hope the sound material is of sufficient density, type to make a difference. In terms of layout etc it looks pretty good, although it could have had a separate chamber for the PSU and a bit more cable management space.

speedkar9

Post by speedkar9 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:49 pm

Good design, as others have mentioned it could use some cable management holes and front facing I/O ports. Appears to be the size and format of an Antec 300, decent, as it isn't too big (i.e. P183...). I don't like doors however. :(.
I wonder how a hot graphics card/cpu setup would fair with one 120mm intake and no top exhaust fan? This might be half of the solution to a "new" Solo (smallish, bottom mounted PSU, 120mm intake, longer video card, etc). Just need to rig up some HD suspension. :)

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:19 am

MikeC wrote:Also takes many cues from antec p18x series. Too bad they don't list panel thickness -- the thin sheetmetal of the Fractal is its worst quality. (It's actually pretty bad in this regard; the heavy bitumen sheets help hide the flimsiness.)
They list it, but it is well hidden in the product PDF - "Frame: .6 and .8 mm SECC" (page 5). Which panel is which we'll only find out by buying the product I guess.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:42 am

Das_Saunamies wrote:
MikeC wrote:Also takes many cues from antec p18x series. Too bad they don't list panel thickness -- the thin sheetmetal of the Fractal is its worst quality. (It's actually pretty bad in this regard; the heavy bitumen sheets help hide the flimsiness.)
They list it, but it is well hidden in the product PDF - "Frame: .6 and .8 mm SECC" (page 5). Which panel is which we'll only find out by buying the product I guess.
0.6mm is miserable. I'd be wary.

tim851

Post by tim851 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:14 am

While I appreciate an understated look, these look just plain, plasticky. Very PC'ish, a bit like Chieftecs.

On the inside, I see nothing other cases don't offer. The silent version without the side vents will have ZERO ventilation for the GPU area. The front intake fan is too far away (as usual), too low and will not receive any kind of mentionable airflow due to the front door.

A very uninspired effort, I find.

quickdraw427

Re: Scythe Gekkou - a new case from Akihabara

Post by quickdraw427 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:17 am

The Cliffs notes version of my post which unfortunately got lost in the forum conversion.
___

-Thin steel used for top/side panels; feels flimsy.
-Some motherboard screw locations and expansion card retention screws may cause issues with standard sized tools; if you do not have a short or extra long screwdriver available, take care to ensure screws don't get cross-threaded.
-Very shallow clearance behind motherboard tray; if one were cut their own cable management holes, there is not enough space to hide cables behind the tray.
-Front bezel mounts are brittle; pulling the bezel off as carefully as I could, one mount snapped completely and another was half-way broken. Repairable with epoxy.
-3.5" drive mounts are clever; plastic trays which slide into rubber rails. Suspension is superior, but the built in system is better than a metal-to-metal mounting.

This case could certainly be built into an acceptably quiet system, but there are much better platforms than this to start from.

MikeC
Site Admin

Re: Scythe Gekkou - a new case from Akihabara

Post by MikeC » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:09 am

quickdraw427 wrote:The Cliffs notes version of my post which unfortunately got lost in the forum conversion.
___

-Thin steel used for top/side panels; feels flimsy.
-Some motherboard screw locations and expansion card retention screws may cause issues with standard sized tools; if you do not have a short or extra long screwdriver available, take care to ensure screws don't get cross-threaded.
-Very shallow clearance behind motherboard tray; if one were cut their own cable management holes, there is not enough space to hide cables behind the tray.
-Front bezel mounts are brittle; pulling the bezel off as carefully as I could, one mount snapped completely and another was half-way broken. Repairable with epoxy.
-3.5" drive mounts are clever; plastic trays which slide into rubber rails. Suspension is superior, but the built in system is better than a metal-to-metal mounting.

This case could certainly be built into an acceptably quiet system, but there are much better platforms than this to start from.
Thanks for the effort to repost! 8)