is Antec P183 that much better than Fractal Design Define R3

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

guermantes

is Antec P183 that much better than Fractal Design Define R3

Post by guermantes » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:57 am

Hi,
A week ago I ordered a Fractal Design Define R3 but it sold out before my order was processed and now there is a sale on Antec P183. So I could cancel my order, add 30-40€ and get the Antec instead.

I prefer the aesthetics of the R3, but my main concern after all is noise levels.

Should I cancel the R3 and get the P183 instead?
Is this a clear shot? Will I get more silence with a P183? Will I get considerably more?

Proposed configuration:
-i7 950 or 930
-asus p6x58d-e motherboard
-radeon 5850 1GB (or maybe a MSI hawk geforce 460)
-6Gb RAM
-2 internal SATA HDD probably both @ 7200RPM
-600-650W PSU, aiming for an 80+ Gold, probably Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 600W unless someone tells me there is a better buy out there.

Thanks!

quest_for_silence

Re: is Antec P183 that much better than Fractal Design Defin

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:10 am

guermantes wrote:Will I get considerably more?

No.
guermantes wrote:unless someone tells me there is a better buy out

Seasonic X-560.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:28 am

The p183 is a very sturdy case, and overall build quality is at least a level higher than in the Fractal, which in comparison is lighter and flimsier -- when you take out the weight of the bitumen sheets -- which have a tendency to peel or slide off. The higher quality, sturdier build translates to better sound blocking. With HDDs, too, the cage/damping in the Fractal is far wrose than in the p183.

The Fractal's advantage is better cooling for the video card, which becomes significant if you go to two cards, or exceed much past ~120w in a single GPU TDP (that's just a guess). The less vented p183 will tend to require more work from the fans, which balances out the better sound damping. But many p183 users have minor mods to work around this.

mkk

Post by mkk » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:56 pm

Except for the hard drive mounting I prefer the Define R3 on all aspects. (It's even surprisingly nimble for instance.) With only two drives you'll most likely be fine. Consider making one of them a 5400rpm drive if you are not going to run programs off both, like the recently reviewed Samsung 2TB. You'll end up getting an SSD for system drive soon enough I bet. ;)

I didn't think I'd ever go with a white case, but the shade of the white R3 god me yearning when I saw one up close. If only I was actually in need of a new case, lol.

speedkar9

Post by speedkar9 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:35 pm

+1 P183

danimal

Post by danimal » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:22 pm

are the vent strips in the front sides of the case behind the front air filters? it looks like an open path for dust to enter.

the r3 looks much cleaner than the p183, fwiw.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:40 pm

The difference between these cases seems relatively subtle when you haven't had them side by side. But when you've built systems in both, it's pretty clear. The Fractal gives you lots of the right features for a very modest price. It's kind of flashy in that way. But look a little beneath the skin and you find the bones aren't that sound. The P183 shows its age and original purpose -- video cards were cooler than CPUs when it was designed. But the basics are so much sounder, the sheer weight and quality of the build ensures better sound containment. For the silencer, it's the more rewarding case even if it's a little harder to work in.

The fans in both are only OK and can be much better.

Both cases are flawed. Which flaws are more acceptable depends mostly on whether you want maximum cooling (for hotter video cards) or minimum noise (for a bit cooler video cards).

guermantes

Post by guermantes » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:46 am

Aargh... Just as I was going to cancel that R3 and get the P183 instead, I get an email that the R3 case has arrived at my postoffice and is ready for pickup. Darn. they must have sent it even though they did not update the order status on the website.

Oh well, I'll take it as divine intervention; I am apparently supposed to have a Fractal as my first case. And I do like the looks of it better so it's not the end of the world.

Thanks all for chiming in, though.

12andy

Post by 12andy » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:39 am

danimal wrote:are the vent strips in the front sides of the case behind the front air filters? it looks like an open path for dust to enter.

the r3 looks much cleaner than the p183, fwiw.
Put simply, in order from front to back:

P18x - side/ bottom vents > doors > filter
Rx - doors > side/ bottom vents > filter

Such a simple redesign of the front fascia to allow for a cleaner look in the Rx, although now the intake section is now at the mercy of the side vents.