how loud is the HAF X?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

hellokittyonline2

how loud is the HAF X?

Post by hellokittyonline2 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:01 pm

i saw the fans are rated at 700 RPM and at 19 db?

if i do not install additional fans, the case should be quiet right? not silent like p183 or R3 but should be acceptable right?

Hangfire

Re: how loud is the HAF X?

Post by Hangfire » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:47 pm

Factory decibel ratings are not to be believed, and even if they are, the quality of the fan noise (pitch, tone) is not rated.

The difficulty of building a quiet PC in a gaming chassis is the size and locations of the big holes. Basically, there is a direct line of sight (for most users) between the front, side and top holes and the user's ear. If these holes are populated with fans, you will hear this fans operate. If loud internal noise (say, a stock CPU cooler) is present, it will come out of these holes and to the user's ear(s) as well.

I started with a gaming case (Antec 300) and it was a lot of work (fun for me) to mod it and undo a lot of the gaming style ventilation. The result is quite quiet, but it would have been a lot less work starting with a more suitable case.

If your quieting needs are modest- that is, you are not OCD about noise, perhaps a stock HAF X is all you need.

-HF