Htpc case that matches Denon 3800 series?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Tom Brown

Htpc case that matches Denon 3800 series?

Post by Tom Brown » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:41 pm

My last HTPC lives in an nMedia 200b and I like it fine. The case feels cheap but it’s good enough and it looks decent. I like the simplicity of it.

It’s time for another HTPC and the 200B is discontinued.

Here’s what I’m looking for:

- Standard audio component width
- 80, 92, or 120mm fans (no 40mm fans)
- Simple, clean look
- VFD OK but not necessary

It will house:

- ATX PSU
- uATX board
- low profile nVidia GT220 video card
- no HDD
- no optical

I’d go for an Antec Fusion but they look about a half inch narrower than typical audio equipment. I need something standard width. Other than the width, the Fusion looks fantastic to me.

I kind of like the look of the Moneual MonCaso 312B. I wish I could find something even cleaner but it's a contender.

Any recommendations?

whispercat

Re: Htpc case that matches Denon 3800 series?

Post by whispercat » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:01 pm

Have you looked into any of the Silverstone HTPC cases? Many of them have a clean simple look.

Tom Brown

Post by Tom Brown » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:17 am

Thanks for the note. I like the Silverstone GD05B. It looks pretty conservative (what I'm looking for).

It seems like most HTPC cases are funky. It would be great if Denon (and other HT OEMs) would build a case to match their equipment stacks.

I'd have to say, the GD05B is the front runner at the moment. Thanks. :)

nd4spdbh

Post by nd4spdbh » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:21 pm

I dont post here often but when i saw this thread i was going to mention the GD05B.

I bought one and man, its one bitchin case. talk about a well built and well laid out case. I run an E7200 @ 3.2ghz (kingwin 92mm 4 heatpipe direct touch cooler) with an nvidia Geforce 210 (passive cooled) in it. I have taken the 92mm fan off the cpu hs, and made a small duct so that the back right side fan pulls air through the hs and out the side. I flipped both the right side fans to be exhaust (running at 7v), and got rid of the left side fan completely, along with all the fan filters (to reduce air flow restriction). I run with a 320gb wd blue laptop sata hdd (suspended with stretch magic), as well as an antec 430 earthwatts, which i put a panaflow 80mm low speed in.... all in all the htpc is VERY quite.

Also the case looks AWESOME, very clean stylish and minimalistic... i hate flashy crapola.

One caveat, is if your using a CD drive (which i am) make sure you have the shortest model you can find, or else your going to be limited in your cpu hs height. It worked out that i was still able to use my 92mm tower heatsink oriented so that airflow was from the expansion slots to the top of the mobo, but i had about 1mm of space between the side of the HS to the SMALL right angle SATA connector.

Feel free to PM me with any questions as far as measurements n whatnot.

There is also the GD04B which is the same case, but with a slightly different front that has a stealthed cd drive bay.