What quiet case?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

ennogs

What quiet case?

Post by ennogs » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:59 am

I want to build a quiet PC. Would you say the Silverstone Fortress FT02 is the quietest case or something else?

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: What quiet case?

Post by Trip » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:16 am

The intake vents look nice and open (good thing) to me. However, it looks like the exhaust fan could take some resistance if pushing air out into that channel in the top. That system is designed for positive pressure, but is dust that much of an issue? I imagine 3 180mm fans would produce a little more noise than other solutions, even if undervolting them. And if you remove them, the system might not work well without the positive pressure (since the top exhaust channel appears constrictive).

You might do better with a more traditional case, with only 1 or 2 exhaust fans (no intake fans unless needed to cool a HDD).

-

Note: I've never used the case you're asking about.

frenchie
Friend of SPCR

Post by frenchie » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:39 am

All case are quiet out of the box. What matters is what you put in them.
Put your system specs here and we might be able to answer your question more precisely.

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Trip » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:33 pm

Bah, the case affects the whole, but regardless it's a very nice looking case.

cordis

Post by cordis » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:48 pm

I have an ft-02, it's a nice case and generally pretty quiet, but like Frenchie says, it really depends on what you're putting in it. The ft-02 is good for medium to high powered systems, so if your system on the lower end of the scale, it might be overkill. It's optimized for air cooling, so if you're doing any water cooling, it's not a good fit. It also depends a lot on your components, if you have a fairly quiet cpu cooler and video card, then you can fairly easily get the system quiet. It's a great system for passive video cards, they can get great airflow. So it's pretty good, but it depends.