Fractal Design Arc series

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

falke
Friend of SPCR

Fractal Design Arc series

Post by falke » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:47 am

Saw this article mentioning the Fractal Design Arc series shown at CES 2011.

Fractal Design Expands Chassis Lineup at CES 2011

figment

Re: Fractal Design Arc series

Post by figment » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:07 am

Intriguing.

That is a lot of wire mesh, though. I'm interested in cases with better air flow than the P183, but when I see 75% of the top of the case is open wire mesh, I can't help but imagine most/all of the sound from my case pouring into the room. Seems silly to even ask if there's any dampening in the side panels.

I suppose the best question is whether there are fans quiet enough to pull off the low resistance style quieting. Or perhaps my interest is just misplaced and I should try to find a quiet case and improve the air flow rather than improving the quietness of a high air flow case.

ntavlas

Post by ntavlas » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:30 am

I`ve been a Lian Li fan but I`m getting to like Fractal`s cases more and more. I really like how the Arc looks and the cooling layout isn`t bad either with lots of options in how to mount the fans.
Or perhaps my interest is just misplaced and I should try to find a quiet case and improve the air flow rather than improving the quietness of a high air flow case.
Personally I prefer additive mods since they`re more easily reversible and less likely to damage the case. A piece of plastic/cardboard with some vinyl tiles attached should be fairly easy to cut and place where you want to block airflow/noise.

Jeroenlol

Post by Jeroenlol » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:12 pm

My friend bought a Fractal R3 , compare to a P183 I really didnt like the poor build quality it has.

The side panels are sooo filmsie its like such poor quality...

Really expected alot more from that case/company.

goatsandmonkeys

Post by goatsandmonkeys » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:49 pm

I think the arc series could be AMAZING for no moving parts/passively cooled builds. there is a mATX version. I'm imagining a build with a large heatsink like the Orochi on a 35-65 watt sandybridge processor, SSD, seasonic x400, and maybe some case fans programmed to kick in if the cpu gets within 10 degrees of it's thermal limits.

It would be particularly interesting if they would sell a version without the three fans and fan controller included to save on costs.

faugusztin

Post by faugusztin » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:56 am

Jeroenlol wrote:My friend bought a Fractal R3 , compare to a P183 I really didnt like the poor build quality it has.

The side panels are sooo filmsie its like such poor quality...

Really expected alot more from that case/company.
It really comes down what does really matter.
Flimsy slide panels ? Of course they are not as thick as the panels on Antec, they are probably only 0.8mm steel. Does it matter ? Hell no - the aditional weight of sound insulation makes them so heavy that there is no way those panels will vibrate at all.

P183 is supercramped compared to R3 - the only real problem with installation is use of the top hole for routing the 4/8-pin CPU connector. Except that, P183 and R3 are uncomparable at usability, R3 wins by a mile.

I don't say R3 is perfect - it isn't. But you must realize that when you compare the prices of the two cases, you can't expect same materials from both. At NCIX, it's $159.99 CAD vs $114.99 CAD. That is $45 CAD difference, or in other words, R3 is 28% cheaper. Her in Slovakia the difference is even bigger, it's 153,17 € vs 97,32 € - card is more than one third cheaper.

My opinion is that for the price it have here in Europe, it is unbeatable. Yes, it is not a perfect case - but it is a very silent case, with acceptable materials, good HDD antivibration, nice finish, very good cable routing options, low price...

It is like saying you expected more from CM Elite 330 because you seen CM Cosmos S :) .

aztec

Post by aztec » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:28 am

the arc mini is nice.

Just wondering about the top-panel-grill. dust build up and noise escpaping.

If they just had 1x 140mm slot, it would be perfect. actually, I wonder if the top panel of the R3 would be interchangeable with this.

Jeroenlol

Post by Jeroenlol » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:00 am

Its not only about the side panels, a case for €100 should be alot better made then this crap lol. No seriously I think its utter crap for the price you pay for that thing.

faugusztin

Post by faugusztin » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:28 am

Jeroenlol wrote:Its not only about the side panels, a case for €100 should be alot better made then this crap lol. No seriously I think its utter crap for the price you pay for that thing.
Ok, tell me what other 100€ case is better than this ? CM692 ? Don't make me laugh.

fumino

Post by fumino » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:30 am

fractal design stickers are very expensive to make, you've gotta factor that into the price.

goatsandmonkeys

Post by goatsandmonkeys » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:40 pm

I really like the define series. I am waitng until march when the defen mini comes to the states. The arc series is primarily for water cooled cases and accommodates a radiator and lots of air flow. it's really not for quiet purposes except for completely passive systems.

as for the antec vs. fractal designs there are two other pluses that made me interested in fractal. their cases just look really nice. Also the included fans and fan controller are nicer than the fans and fan controller on antec devices.

Antec's cases are over built. That's why we like them. I think the fractal cases are more elegantly designed. I also like that they aren't just knock offs. They are offering lower end products. this gives us more options. I really like fractal design. they are innovators and they are making products for us at great prices.

mkk

Post by mkk » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:52 pm

Their Define design also gave us a product going in the right direction, at a time when most others are going all mesh-bonanza.

ugo1

Post by ugo1 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:30 pm

Hi,

when the Arc mini will be on the market? There are some review?

Regards

Ugo