Case madness, please help

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

David Cole

Case madness, please help

Post by David Cole » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:37 am

I am going to assemble a new pc with:
  • Asus P8P67 Deluxe
    16Gb Corsair Vengeance
    Intel 2600K
    Noctua NH-C14 (top fan only)
    Gigabyte 5750 Silent Cell
    Corsair AX850
    x2 300Gb WD Velociraptors (data)
    an Intel 160Gb SSD (OS and programs)
    Zalman ZM-MFC1 fan controller (5 fans)
    W7 64bit
I need to choose a case. I have looked at the Antecs, Corsair Obsidians, Silverstone FT02, Lian Li, Fractal R3, Nexus Prominent 5, Scythe Gekkou and probably some others. I am finding it very hard to choose one.

I will not be overclocking but will use my system for Photoshop and Painter. Silence is v important while I work - but I can live with the whoosh of air rather than the hum of vibbrating hard drives. Hum drives me nuts.

I have an Antec 183 at the moment and if I can't find a replacement I'll probably reuse it. My criteria for a new case are:

- no bright blue lights
- mid tower
- conservative design
- space at the bottom of the case to fit my small, removable Antec 183 hdd cage in which I have suspended my Velociraptors. Or a removable cage in which I can recreate elastic cradles for my V-raptors.
- the least number of case fans I will need for the hardware I'm going to be using.

I would use the Antec 183 v3 but hate the ornamentation on the top right of the door, or there's the FT02 but I don't like at all the way the cables sprout out of the top of the case, then there's the Corsairs but I have read that the 200mm fans are noisy and some have side windows which I don't want, then I quite like the Gekkou and Prominent 5 but people are critical of their build quality and the plastic fittings, then others appear not to have hhd cages which are removable - apologies, if I have misattributed my perceived shortcomings.

I am quite attracted to the Lian Li PC-9F but can't find it in the UK so top of the list is probably the Lian Li PC-B10 ...but...that has flimsy sides and the aluminium isn't good for reducing hum.....

Grateful for any help in making a decision. Thanks.

ces

Re: Case madness, please help

Post by ces » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:44 am

1. I have not found my Lian Li A05 to have any aluminum resonance. It is inexpensive. Have you considered it? I find it to be an elegant design. You will want the optional top blow hole for your video card.

If you went this direction I would direct both case fans inward... and use the top blow hole as an air exit hole. It would keep you passive video card nice and cool.

You mother board components would also be well cooled by the rear case fan blowing inward. So well, you might consider a noctua tower cooler... pointed upward, toward the video card and the blow hole.

2. Are you willing to consider a Micro-ATX case?

ces

Post by ces » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:58 am

Zalman ZM-MFC1 fan controller (5 fans)
Why so many fans?

On the Lian Li A05 you should be able to do fine with two inward directed 800 RPM Nexus fans. In fact you can probably use one of those case fans to cool an unfanned NH-D14. I am fairly certain you could even overclock with that setup.

Due to the unique placement of the PSU near the front fan in the A05, you might be able to do very well with a fanless PSU.

That would mean a total of two 800RPM fans for everything including the PSU.

x2 300Gb WD Velociraptors (data)
You mention you don't want them vibrating. When SPCR tested the original WD Velociraptors they found that they were quieter when removed from the 5.25 cradle they come in.

Also, if vibration really bothers you, get two Noisemagic mounting systems for your Velociraptors. You will never hear vibration from them in any case you ever put them in. See:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article39-page1.html
They come in 5.25 and 2.5 sizes. There is nothing comparable. And they are really well made. When you hold them in your hand... you are holding something of substance... not some cheap stamping.

Though the A05 has its own HD cushioning system. It only has two conventional 5.25 docks to put the noisemagic in... and one of them you will probably want to use for an ODD.

Though I don't think you will need more HD cushioning other than what comes stock on the Lian Lis cases.

David Cole

Post by David Cole » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:06 am

Thanks.

No, I haven't considered the Lian Li A05 but will certainly do so.

Zm-FC1 - convenience not number of fans to be controlled. Different room temps in summer and winter mean I want some latitude in choosing my rpms even if for only 2 or 3 fans.

Velociraptors - yes, I am already running them without their metal straightjackets - even without them they vibrate - and have them suspended in thick elastic cords in a cage which works very well. I want to do this again but will have a look at the No vibes.

I want the NH-C14 because it will cool the memory too.

It is good to hear from a happy Lian Li SPCR user - that is encouraging.

ces

Post by ces » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:33 am

David Cole wrote:Zm-FC1 - convenience not number of fans to be controlled. Different room temps in summer and winter mean I want some latitude in choosing my rpms even if for only 2 or 3 fans.
If in fact the two 800 rpm fans work as I propose they would. They would keep your memory cool and would provide good all around cooling and silence in the summer and winter without the need to alter their speed.

The front fan is buried and muffled. The back fan isn't... but it doesn't even have a grating to get in the way. A Nexus at 800 rpm in the back should be basically silent.

I think you can have your cake and eat it too.. with the exception of using noise magic in this case. But you still should be able to use Stretch Magic I would think:
viewtopic.php?t=11674

PS: My understanding is that overclocking and related over heating of memory could generate a lot of heat in your memory. My understanding is that this problem is not relevant to Sandy Bridge, even overclocked Sandy Bridges. What makes you think that the memory will need cooling? Anyone out there with some actual Sandy Bridge Experience with this issue?
Last edited by ces on Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

ces

Post by ces » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:34 am

ces wrote:2. Are you willing to consider a Micro-ATX case?
What about this question?

David Cole

Post by David Cole » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:32 am

Micro. Well, I'm a bit concerned about fumbling hands and older eyesight leading to clumping about in a small case with components even more on top of each other than they are in a mid case. I need all the space I can get to work in (though a full size case is too much). It's a possibility though. Wll have to let the idea simmer.

fumino

Post by fumino » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:16 pm

ddr3 memory wont need more cooling than incidental airflow unless you're running it at obscene speeds. any ram with heat spreaders is enough(or even ram without, since youre using a down draft cooler). the vengeance ram is ridiculously overkill.

that ax850 might be enough to power three of your systems. i say might, but im 99% sure.

scan.co.uk has a decent selection of cases. there are a few antecs(nsk series, sonata series, the venerable solo), maybe the silverstone ps02 would be worth a glance. i havent checked shots of the interiors but there are some understated asus designs in there as well.

maybe you could just buy some new fans for your p183; unless its performance wasnt your issue with it.

oh, and i wouldnt consider the a05 because of your graphics card, which will want some airflow over it.

David Cole

Post by David Cole » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:56 pm

It is reassuring to learn that DDR3 doesn't require extra cooling. I have only gone for the Vengeance variety because I want 16Gb of matched modules. I'm very happy to use something else if I can get 16Gb of it.

The psu has been selected simply because of its outstanding recommendation by SPCR.

Thanks for the selection of additional cases to consider - that's rather taking me back to where I started...I'll try to find mid sized Lian Li I think. Weight is an issue too.

I am happy with the performance of my current case with one or two reservations - I have used no Tricools - and am happy with the fans I'm using and am content to use them again.

I'll have another look at the Scan cases. Overclockers UK are v good too.

ces

Post by ces » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:11 pm

David Cole wrote:Micro. Well, I'm a bit concerned about fumbling hands and older eyesight leading to clumping about in a small case with components even more on top of each other than they are in a mid case. I need all the space I can get to work in (though a full size case is too much). It's a possibility though. Wll have to let the idea simmer.
That won't be a problem with this case:
http://www.lan-gear.com/

fumino

Post by fumino » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:17 pm

well i took a quick peek about the web, and the Lian Li PC-9F can be had on amazon uk for a fair bit of cash.

honestly it seems like your cheapest option might be to get it from germany. it seems like it'd save a solid £25-30 over amazon's prices.

get the case you want, because thats what you end up staring at.

David Cole

Post by David Cole » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:44 pm

Thanks very much for all your patient advice.

Now I have had another look at the Corsair 600T. I see all the 200mm fans can be swapped for 140mm models (I would use Noctua I think), the hdd cages can be taken out, there are good holes for cabling, it has handles for lifting and it has a built in fan controller. It's cheaper than Lian Li (especially the ones I had on my short list).

Arrghhhhhhhh......

ces

Post by ces » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:42 pm

David Cole wrote:Weight is an issue too.
the Corsair Graphite Series 600T Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case weighs 29 pounds. I used to have a case like that. I really grew to dislike it because of its weight.

ame

Post by ame » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:43 am

I don't have any advice for a case. Seems like all the cases you mentioned can be made quiet with a couple of easy mods, and since you are already into modding and fan swapping I don't see any problem. Just pick the one that looks best and can be fitted with your suspension easy enough. (personally I'd stay with the P-183 or get the SOLO - that has its own suspension)
As for PSU- I'd go for Seasonic X-650 - it should be about the same price as the Corsair.
RAM is good. Vengeance will run at 1600 on sandy bridge without overheating, only thing to watch for is clearance from the CPU cooler.

The Asus motherboard can control the fans, I don't see the need for a fan controller.

David Cole

Post by David Cole » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:12 am

Thanks very much for further help. That weight definitely crosses the 600T off my list - thank you for alerting me to this. I'll look at a Solo or go back to a Lian Li. Light is good for me.

I may just stick with the overkill of the Corsair PSU - the AX850 is stuck in the frontal lobes now. So the Vengeance is back on the list. I believe the NH-C14 will clear the Vengeance if I leave the under-fan off.

I'll think about dropping the ZM-MFC1 - I use one at the moment and find it convenient for making quick changes to rpms.

Back to the case hunt...

David Cole

Post by David Cole » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:19 am

Have bought a Lian Li PC-9F from Caseking in Germany which will have had sound deadening material applied to it already. Better build the beast now...Thanks for all the advice.

ces

Post by ces » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:01 am

ame wrote:Seems like all the cases you mentioned can be made quiet with a couple of easy mods, and since you are already into modding and fan swapping
Sound Deadening:
viewtopic.php?p=539359#p539359

David Cole

Post by David Cole » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:08 am

David Cole wrote:Have bought a Lian Li PC-9F from Caseking in Germany which will have had sound deadening material applied to it already. Better build the beast now...Thanks for all the advice.
Oh no I haven't...Case now not in stock. Ho hum. Back to the drawing board.