Nexus Prominent 5

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

David Cole

Nexus Prominent 5

Post by David Cole » Fri May 06, 2011 3:23 pm

In the absence of any Lian Li PC-9f cases in the UK I am thinking of the Nexus Prominent 5 (which is hardly mentioned in SPCR):

http://www.nexustek.nl/nexus_prominent5 ... c_case.htm

It seems to tick most of the boxes I care about - though the cable access and routing options are a bit primitive and I have read critical comments about the orange plastic fittings. The things that bother me are:
1) will my Novibes 2.5 fit in the orange 3.5 hdd cradles?
2) will it be too heavy - there doesn't seem to be anywhere to grip the case to help lift it from the floor to a bench or stool to work on? I find my Antec P183 very heavy and ideally would like to go for an aluminium case but the one I want is not available in the UK or Europe (so far as I can discover) and there is no sign the case will come back into stock.
3) never having used them, will 140mm fans be as quiet as 120mm fans? I like real basic silent Nexus 120mm fans but don't know if their 140mm is as quiet.

Hardware to go into the case: 2600K/Asus P8P67 Deluxe/fanless 5750/Corsair AX850/x 2 WD Velociraptors without their frames and installed in NoVibes 2.5 cradles/160GB Intel SSD/x2 pci cards for more USB3/Asus STX Essence sound card/x1 blueray CD/DVD writer. I'll control the fans with a Zalman MFC1 Plus fan controller. Don't know which CPU cooler/fan to get.

So, am I right to hesitate about the Prominent 5?

Thanks.

Live

Re: Nexus Prominent 5

Post by Live » Thu May 19, 2011 12:37 pm

Since the 140mm nexus real silent fan is not sold separately from their cases, I am unsure if anybody has tested them. Do you have any links to reviews of the case?